Author Topic: Was there ever a 5 speed that...  (Read 1552 times)

Lonestar Honcho

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Was there ever a 5 speed that...
« on: May 20, 2006, 04:58:17 PM »
Had to be raised vertically (1/4") to go into 5th gear? I gotta go make sure mine don't do that... ???

I have talked to a guy who doesn't know if he has a L-52 or a L-50.
He supposingly has the tranny out of a truck but doesn't know much more about it than that it goes thru the gears.

Is $260 a good price for a tranny that goes thru the gears and is believed to be good? :help:

TIA
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Was there ever a 5 speed that...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 05:08:57 PM »
260  is a little high  unless you have driven the truck

but he can pull the input shaft bearing cover (behind where the throwout bearing rides)  and get the bearing number and that will tell you if its a L50 or L52
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 05:29:41 PM »
$260 wow thats high, i got a w55 for my truck from a member for $150, and he assured me it was good, actually said he was going to pull it from his truck later in the week.. also gave me a money back gurantee too, even, said if it didnt work i could bring it back and he would get me another tranny

its been in almost a year
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 06:24:33 PM »
As always, thanks for the replies. :biggthumpup:

Well, I've been looking to see what I can afford on the cheap.

A wheelin' buddy, who is also a Toyota mechanic, told me around alittle under a grand for parts for a rebuild of my L-52. He knows the situation about my 3rd and 5th gears. Said, that the parts to fix those gears wouldn't cost much but while your in there you might as well replace this and that too.

I have seen one online Tranny builder in New York? that had a price of $600 for a rebuilt L-52.

Then of course is the HD L-52 from Marlin for $900 :disturbed:

What would y'all do?
Advice, opinions, comments is appreciated. :nerv:
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 06:44:53 PM »
about 5 years ago  i made the horrible mistake of  having Toyota  rebuild my  4spd,  for $760
  i could have done the right thing and get myself a L52HD   but no :rivers:  at the time i didnt know about Marlin 

buy the Marlin L52HD  and never look back :driving:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 06:54:42 PM »
UGH!!! :shudder:

Thats an awful big bullet to bite! I got ALOT of thinking to do.

Thanks for the help.

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 08:32:21 PM »
How much does shipping run on a tranny from Marlin (inside of CA)?... seems like it would sting pretty bad.
'82 on 35's, not much else.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 08:49:05 PM »
i think they have a really good rate,

lonestar,  look around some local yards and see if you can find a tranny or two for cores and any tcases,  then  use them all as cores,  they will accept multiple cores  as long as they are useable

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
i think they have a really good rate,

lonestar,  look around some local yards and see if you can find a tranny or two for cores and any tcases,  then  use them all as cores,  they will accept multiple cores  as long as they are useable

No kidding? Well, thats a thought on getting the price down. But then again ya know about junkyard rates...<rolleyes>

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 09:31:02 PM »
why wouldn't you just find a w56??

I have a L52 or L50, not sure which one (has 5 gears tho) and it shifts through them all nicely, but I have never used it so I am unsure of the conditions.  I will sell it to you for $75 if you pay shipping from CO.

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 10:10:23 PM »
260  is a little high  unless you have driven the truck

but he can pull the input shaft bearing cover (behind where the throwout bearing rides)  and get the bearing number and that will tell you if its a L50 or L52

Hey, it's me again! I just didn't know where to look to know what transmission it is!

I will tomorrow behind that plate and see the number. Thanks Glen for helping me help another out, but again, I just want to make sure I know what it is. For now, all I know is it came out of an '81.

I'll check and tell all tomorrow night!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 10:12:36 PM »
Had to be raised vertically (1/4") to go into 5th gear? I gotta go make sure mine don't do that... ???

I have talked to a guy who doesn't know if he has a L-52 or a L-50.
He supposingly has the tranny out of a truck but doesn't know much more about it than that it goes thru the gears.

Is $260 a good price for a tranny that goes thru the gears and is believed to be good? :help:

TIA

I know how to check to see exactly what it is now, so I will get back on tomorrow night and let you know for sure.

I know whatever it is, it shifts through the gears fine and did'n't leak when I was driving it and made no strange noises, so if it is compatible, you might be in luck buddy!

I just want to be sure so there is no confusion.

Talk to you tomorrow!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 04:46:49 PM »
So let me get this straight, If you buy a 900 dollar tranny from marlin with a 650 core charge and give him 2 core trannies, you only pay 250 bucks? Or is the 2nd core not given the full core value?

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 06:44:18 PM »
why wouldn't you just find a w56??

I have a L52 or L50, not sure which one (has 5 gears tho) and it shifts through them all nicely, but I have never used it so I am unsure of the conditions.  I will sell it to you for $75 if you pay shipping from CO.

PZ

Thats very tempting but I'd like to know the conditionand the type. I don't like getting under a truck twice for the same thing. Guess it's old man syndrome  :snare:.

As for why not a W56, I dunno besides having to go through the hassles of driveshafts and different crossmember mounts. Of course, I'm speaking out my rear because I don't know if all those things would be necessary or not  :dunno:

BTW...whats up with the search function on this site? Is it non-existent?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 06:58:41 PM »
So let me get this straight, If you buy a 900 dollar tranny from marlin with a 650 core charge and give him 2 core trannies, you only pay 250 bucks? Or is the 2nd core not given the full core value?
not sure,  you would have to ask Dave , but they do allow more than one core  if its the same type  or better than what you are ordering

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 07:00:59 PM »
Thats very tempting but I'd like to know the conditionand the type. I don't like getting under a truck twice for the same thing. Guess it's old man syndrome  :snare:.

As for why not a W56, I dunno besides having to go through the hassles of driveshafts and different crossmember mounts. Of course, I'm speaking out my rear because I don't know if all those things would be necessary or not  :dunno:

yes  you would have to lengthen the drive shafts and move the transfer case mounts

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 09:35:49 PM »

Well, in scientific terms, it currently sucks.  It used to work really well, but we changed servers or something and it went to poo.  Try searching for your own name and see how many pages you have to sort through before you actually come up with a thread you were involved in.  It's actually pretty amusing, unless you're really trying to find a certain thread, then it's frustrating.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 11:08:03 PM »
Sorry for continuing the hijack, but I find it helps a lot to go to advancd search and eliminate as many categories searched as possible especially the for sale stuff.