Author Topic: Should I or Should I not?  (Read 2271 times)

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
Should I or Should I not?
« on: Oct 11, 2005, 07:59:37 PM »
Heres whats up...I know its a Ford but dont burn me. I used to drive a 88 Ranger and sold it almost 2 years ago. I used to work with the guy I sold it to and he contacted me the other day about selling it back to me because he has too many vehicles. Its got the 2.9L motor that is known for eating heads but it has the upgrade World Industries Heads so I am not worried about that issue. When I had it I thought about cutting out the back wall and fab together the cab and bed with a canback to cover it. It would be pretty easy to do a SAS on the thing I think and I could find a early bronco SA at a decent price. I know I already have a toyota project but I'd like to have another truck so when I am wrenching on one I have the other for a DD. He wants to sell it for $700 I told him to go and smog it then give me a call back. Do you people think its worth it? IMO you cant really beat $700 for a roadsafe running vehicle. This truck would be my beater/mud truck and parts getter for the Toy
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Should I or Should I not?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:07:16 PM »
I had one o them...i wouldn't touch it with a stolen richard if it was automatic; those A4LDs are junk.  Stick might be a different story, though.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:10:24 PM »
I just got rid of my Ranger, and boy am I happy!!! POS
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:13:05 PM »
Oh ya its a manual. Its fairly fresh too. The owner before me put it in. I'd love to get the thing and cut it up and make it a beater/trail truck that I dont have to worry bout breaking cause I dont give a crap, but I dont have the money nor the time to play with TWO trucks. Now if I had my own place and a garage that I could store one of my trucks then Id go for it but right now the driveway and the street is full.

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:12:38 AM »
Watch out for the dist. timing gear, they were made with nylon and wore out really easy once you hit 100,000 miles.  For some reason after 100k we were changing them out once a month!  And no brass ones to replace with at that time!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2005, 12:38:03 PM »
I had broncoII once and it did pretty good even stock.  It had a 2.9 4spd man  That thing took a beating untill i blew the motor!
Buy it, and beat it.

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2005, 06:43:05 AM »
I'd say if you need a DD, while you build the Toyota, buy it.  If you plan on DD'n the Toyota, just save your $700 and put it into the current project.

:twocents: 

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2005, 08:33:12 AM »
is the ranger 4 wheel drive?

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2005, 05:22:46 PM »
the manual is only known for goin out because you can't add fluid to it.  Simple solution, drill a hole and put a tube in the top of the tranny.  Voila!! You can add fluid now! You can find Ranger parts EVERYWHERE and they're cheap.  I'd say go for it, it's decent on gas and smogged.  Why not? Just make sure yer electrical is all in tact :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2005, 05:50:15 PM »
Well I want my toy to be my dd but use the ranger for a back up for when i am working on the toy or if by chance I break it while on the trail. FFC I dunno what your smokin but I am pretty sure that I have added oil to that tranny. And yes its 4wd. I wouldnt even consider it if it wasnt. Cheesemaker, I dunno if mine has been fixed of that issue but its just a butt hair over 200k :yesnod: I had that thing running like a raped ape. Just took 2qts of lucas to keep it from sounding like its going to explode :rofl: I dunno, its kinda up in the air right now. All depends on if it passes smog and how much money I have at the time. Im think that $700 would be real nice to put into the toy but if I plan on really wheeling this thing and doing a SAS I'm going to need a second ride. :dunno:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
Well I want my toy to be my dd but use the ranger for a back up for when i am working on the toy or if by chance I break it while on the trail. FFC I dunno what your smokin but I am pretty sure that I have added oil to that tranny. And yes its 4wd. I wouldnt even consider it if it wasnt. Cheesemaker, I dunno if mine has been fixed of that issue but its just a butt hair over 200k :yesnod: I had that thing running like a raped ape. Just took 2qts of lucas to keep it from sounding like its going to explode :rofl: I dunno, its kinda up in the air right now. All depends on if it passes smog and how much money I have at the time. Im think that $700 would be real nice to put into the toy but if I plan on really wheeling this thing and doing a SAS I'm going to need a second ride. :dunno:

I ain't smokin nothin.  It's a known fact that the manual trannies go out because the trans fluid can't get to the top of the tranny on steep inclines. Maybe it's already been modified :dunno: But then again, it depends on the year :headscratch:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2005, 06:28:30 PM »
Well unless I go for some crazy long ass hill climb I shouldnt have to worry bout that. I'll just hook up a IV of Lucas to the tranny :thumbs: just like the engine.

musclesliver

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Aug '05
  • huh??? Where am I???
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2005, 08:13:54 PM »
you got rid of it for a reason so let it be