Author Topic: starting issues  (Read 6313 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
starting issues
« on: Oct 23, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »
Ok, got my "new" 3.0 in ad bolted up.  It fired up last night, and ran, but then a fuel leak was noticed so we shut it down.  Today we pulled the upper intake, and fixed the fuel leak.  For those of you familiar with the 3.0, it was leaking at the large banjo bolt on the pass side fuel rail.  When I tightend that up, the line bent, but I straightened it back out.  RUGER noticed when we put the upper ntake back on that the gasket was ripped through one of the intake holes.  We put the intake back on anyway, and hooked everything back up.  when we tightened down the intake, one of the bolts broke off :yikes:  We tried to start it after we got everythign hooked up, and the truck would not fire.  There are no indications of a vacuum leak, and the starter is running, but the engine just wont fire.  We checked over all the connections, everything is hooked up correctly.   We messed with the timing a little, to try and get it to fire, and that didnt work either.  THere is no sound from the fuel pump, and when we took off one of the fuel lines, and cranked it, no fuel came out.  Bad fuel pump?  vacuum leak on the intake?  I cant figure it out, and I have to admit, I am getting very frustrated.  Any ideas, suggestions?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: starting issues
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2005, 08:42:54 PM »
could really use some help on this :rivers: I'm lost :dunno:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2005, 08:47:15 PM »
I'm in the dark myself. You say you arn't getting fuel, but you are sure you got spark? 

Did you check to see if you are getting power at the pump? 

Maybe you left something unplugged or you blew a fuse? Just some things to check.

good luck
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2005, 06:12:46 PM »
I'm in the dark myself. You say you arn't getting fuel, but you are sure you got spark? 

Did you check to see if you are getting power at the pump? 

Maybe you left something unplugged or you blew a fuse? Just some things to check.

good luck

checked the fuses, fuses are fine.  I went over all the plugs I can think of, I guess one could have come unplugged.  I'll have to check those, but I think they're all good.  I havent check that I am getting power to the pump, to be honest I'm not sure how to do that :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

Anthony

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 476
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2005, 06:38:50 PM »
Black dog there is a plug that is under the passanger seat. it houses the tail light wires and the power wire to the fuel pump. Mine came apart when i lost my lights on the tail. I was trying to trace why i had no lights in the rear pulling on wire here and there i finished unplugging it. Then the truck would not start.  ???  I pulled the seats out to trace the wire harness and found that plug unplugged put it back together wallah. started right up. My not be your problem but it may help ya.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2005, 06:42:08 PM »
Black dog there is a plug that is under the passanger seat. it houses the tail light wires and the power wire to the fuel pump. Mine came apart when i lost my lights on the tail. I was trying to trace why i had no lights in the rear pulling on wire here and there i finished unplugging it. Then the truck would not start.  ???  I pulled the seats out to trace the wire harness and found that plug unplugged put it back together wallah. started right up. My not be your problem but it may help ya.

I'll have to check that :yupyup:  that may be my problem, because I know my tailights have been out for a while, I just have had more pressing issues to attend to.  And with all the crap in my truck, something easily coulda hit that, especially if it was unhooked to begin with.  Thanks anthony.

-Ronald Reagan

Anthony

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2005, 06:51:36 PM »
Nothing worse then an electrical problem in my books ..... It is my worse fear  :yikes:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2005, 07:21:32 PM »
Nothing worse then an electrical problem in my books ..... It is my worse fear  :yikes:

Same here. I'd do mechanical stuff all day, but an electrical problem? :yikes:  I was nervous cutting 4 wires and splicing on a plug. :dunno: as straight forward as yo ucan get, and I was askeered.  Course, I am the one who fried a CB, and blew every fuse in my dash trying to wire in my CB :headshake:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2005, 02:12:51 PM »

Is this above the carpet? or do I need to dig under it?

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2005, 02:16:33 PM »
ALright, I was sitting in class, and I think I may have an answer :crossed: cant' check it for a while, but coming off my + battery cable is a wire to my engine bay fuse box.  This wire was spliced onto the cable, and it fell outta its splice.  I did splice it back up, but I may not have done a good job.  I thought back, and I know I got spark, but I think it was sporadic, because the engine did not fire when we sprayed starting fluid into the intake.  THe fuse box has fuses for both heads, and the EFI system, so that would help explain the no fuel, and possibly a fuse to the coil? that is something I'm not sure of.  :dunno: if this makes sense, or is way off track, let me know.  I dont know if the coil even has a fuse for it, but I would assume that would be where it is.  Also, does the fuel pump have a fuse? and is it in that fuse box?

-Ronald Reagan

Anthony

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2005, 02:23:06 PM »
Is this above the carpet? or do I need to dig under it?

Under the carpet just behind the raised rail the seat mounts to

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2005, 05:01:44 PM »
got a correction, I am getting fuel, but no spark.  Still not getting spark, even with a new coil and ignitor

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2005, 05:55:39 PM »
threw a voltmeter on the system.  Coil is putting out 10v, the rotor is turning.  Points are not corroded, neither is the rotor.  :dunno:  guess I could try new plugs :headscratch: dunno why they wouldnt work from one day to the next with nothing happening to them

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2005, 06:02:33 PM »
threw a voltmeter on the system.  Coil is putting out 10v, the rotor is turning.  Points are not corroded, neither is the rotor.  :dunno:  guess I could try new plugs :headscratch: dunno why they wouldnt work from one day to the next with nothing happening to them

:slap: you haven't replaced yer plugs yet?? Give that a shot as well as make sure yer firing order is right :headscratch: You coulda burnt out a plug :dunno:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2005, 06:03:49 PM »
:slap: you haven't replaced yer plugs yet?? Give that a shot as well as make sure yer firing order is right :headscratch: You coulda burnt out a plug :dunno:

firing order is right, but even with one burnt out plug, the rest should spark :thumbs:  I've started the truck on 5 cyl.  before

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2005, 06:15:18 PM »
firing order is right, but even with one burnt out plug, the rest should spark :thumbs:  I've started the truck on 5 cyl.  before

Oh k :smack:

BD, I talked to my stepdad and he gave me some ideas.  I haven't had a chance to read through your whole thread, so I"m just gonna post what he said and you can go from there if you wanna.  He said start off with checking your spark, (timing light or pullin a plug and seein if you can find spark I'm sure you know hwo to do that).  He also said that the ECM's (Electronic Control Module) are notorious for goin out, and new coil or not, you should give that a shot.   The fuel system on the early 90's yotas are known for having a "reset" button on them somewhere.  He doesn't know where, but when an engine is swapped out usually it trips the "reset" so he said try pushin that button... may be yer fuel messin up? :headscratch:

Ok... that's HIS $0.02

:dunno:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -