Author Topic: HELP!!!!, Truck won't Crank!!  (Read 3199 times)

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 209
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
HELP!!!!, Truck won't Crank!!
« on: Jul 06, 2005, 07:04:01 PM »
Have an 85 with a 22RE and wont crank, all it will do is click, Replaced the battery and the starter, still just clicks, I can still turn the engine over by hand, with out any problem.  I have no Idea what to do next, all the connections seem to be good and tight.

PLEASE HELP
 :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:
Thanks
Joe
Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!!!, Truck won't Crank!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2005, 07:11:03 PM »
Try hitting the starter, i know it is new, but hit it anyway.  Other then that, maybe coil?

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2005, 07:40:33 PM »
Either the solenoid/starter brushes are sticking or the ignition switch is coming loose.  Take the shroud off the steering column and look at the lower driver side of the column.  There is a small screw holding the ignition switch to the column.  Take that switch out and try using a flat tip screwdriver to start it.  If it starts that way your net getting enough movement from the tumbler. 

Id also start checking what voltage reading your getting to the solenoid. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2005, 07:42:22 PM »
Have you checked your grounds
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2005, 08:54:21 PM »
Either the solenoid/starter brushes are sticking or the ignition switch is coming loose. Take the shroud off the steering column and look at the lower driver side of the column. There is a small screw holding the ignition switch to the column. Take that switch out and try using a flat tip screwdriver to start it. If it starts that way your net getting enough movement from the tumbler.

Id also start checking what voltage reading your getting to the solenoid. ;)

thanks that sound like it might work, It did it to me the other day real breifly then it started after I held the key for another second.

Thanks
Joe
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2005, 03:26:37 PM »
Well just tried starting by bypassing the lock and tumbler and still nothing :maddest: , so now I am going to check the voltage at the starter, which terminals do I check it at, just the 2 that are on the starter or the positive terminal on the starter and ground :dunno: .

Late
Joe

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2005, 04:01:12 PM »
Just checked the Voltage.  From the Bat + to the starter + I have 12 volts when I turn the key and crank.  Then I checked Batt- to the starter + and I have 12 volts with out cranking.  Which both seem to be right.  Then I checked batt + to the connector that plugs into the starter and got 12 volts without cranking and then batt - to the connector and got 12 volts with cranking.
All this sounds like it is right.
I recently put a new transmission in do you think that something could have got missaligned.  I didn't remove the clutch or fly wheel so I don't see how, because I have been driving it with the new trans for over 3 months, but maybe this has some thing to do with it.
Also when I am trying to crank the starter all the lights go really dim. :dunno:

Late
Joe

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2005, 06:12:54 PM »
Neutral safety switch...  Or clutch cancel switch, same thing.  But if your getting 12 volts at the solenoid wire then something is amiss.  Lemme think on it for awhile....
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2005, 08:09:43 PM »
Neutral safety switch... Or clutch cancel switch, same thing. But if your getting 12 volts at the solenoid wire then something is amiss. Lemme think on it for awhile....

Don't have one, I can start it in gear if I wanted to.

Thanks for the help.
Late Joe

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2005, 02:48:12 AM »
Have you checked your grounds
My truck had bad grounds and did the same thing, not wanting to start 80% of the time!  Toyota's and Nissan's have really small diameter positive & ground cables, and the connections get corroded real easy.  Went to heavier guage cables with sealed ends, and not a problem since!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2005, 01:20:36 PM »
My truck had bad grounds and did the same thing, not wanting to start 80% of the time! Toyota's and Nissan's have really small diameter positive & ground cables, and the connections get corroded real easy. Went to heavier guage cables with sealed ends, and not a problem since!

I checked the ground strap(it is one of those braded ones), it looks ok no real corrosion that I can see, but that doesn't really mean any thing.  I could see if there is a big voltage drop when I get home.  But the only reason I don't think it is that is because it just happened all of a sudden it didn't really act weird before except for that one time, the day before.  But I won't rule it out until I voltage drop test it.

Thanks for the help.
Late
Joe

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2005, 07:58:53 PM »
     Well I figured out what the problem was,  Well I didn't really my dad's friend did.  I was over a friends house drinking some  :beer:  and other beverages, when He called me and asked where my keys were, so he could try it out,  All he did was rum a jumper cable from the batt(+) to the (+) terminal on the starter, and wah lah, it started, I haven't replaced it yet cause I can get some, 00 gauge cable at work for free, so tomarrow I will get some and get this baby back on the road, or off of it.  :yupyup: 

So thanks for all the input fellas here are a couple on me

:beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:

Late
Joe