Author Topic: I have a bad vibration thats been determined to be the Pinion Angle, Can I ...  (Read 1665 times)

Diggertoy

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
I have a bad vibration thats been determined to be the Pinion Angle, Can I Lower the Pinion Angle, by simply unbolting the driveshaft, loosening the Ubolts on the axle, rolling the pinion forward a little. I have a 4" Block with a 1.5" spring over it. When I step on the gas, I get a bad vibration, when I let off the gas, It goes away. I know the correct fix would be to throw the Blocks away , sell the 1.5" springs and go with some new 4" springs. But I'm trying to save some money for that ( since I've just bought a new T-case and Driveline from Marlin ) and hopefully be able to do this in the meantime  :crossed:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I don't think you can just "roll" it. you'll have to use tappered shims.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Diggertoy

• Marlin Crawler
I found some 4" springs from Superlift for $ 275 , and ordered them , today .....I'll Swap out the blocks and 1.5" springs probably next week sometime.........and I suppose, I just support the frame, and support the axle and take off the old springs, blocks etc. and swap out the new springs, or is it more involved than that ? I would have bought the marlin ones , but one they didn't have them in stock , 2 they cost $ 100 more and 3 I'd have to move the axle up 1.5 inches and change the perches........I thought that the superlift springs will be a direct bolt up and it'll be easier and cheaper.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
That should do it, I would think. If it continues, climb underneath and make sure your angles are correct. Are you running a double cardan joint, or just straight U-joints?

Also, since it seems to happen when you stomp on the skinny pedal, could be axle wrap that's changing your pinion angle and causing the vibration. The new springs should help with this.

Your assessment of the swap is correct. Make sure you support the frame **REALLY** well, and just unbolt everything. I usually use a hydraulic jack under the pumpkin so i can adjust the axle easily and get the bolt holes to line up.

Good Luck

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
if in a pinch  do one side at a time
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Diggertoy

• Marlin Crawler
I'll do it both sides at once, frame on several jack stands .....and use a floor jack for the pumpkin movement........as far as having a cardan or a U ........I had a custom one made for me by Marlin,  it's 2 cv's in the front and a U in the rear ........it was made and lenthened from an old front of a 4x4 yota

Hylander

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • California Predators Club
Diggertoy:
You got any pics of your the driveline setup.
I'm in the same boat and desiding on what to do with my driveline setup.
I've got a set of 4" Alcan springs coming this week :biggthumpup:
Failure is not an option

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I believe the 2 u-joint side should be at the t-case side :dunno:
Time to go wheelin!