Author Topic: Shockless Springs  (Read 1276 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Shockless Springs
« on: Apr 29, 2005, 07:05:52 AM »
In preparation for swapping my rear 4.5" Superlift (about 450 lb/in) springs on Sunday for new 3" Alcan (about 124 lb/in) and extended shackle I removed my shocks last night.  I drove it to my softball game and it had never driven that smoothly.  I only noticed a slight bounce/wobble a couple of times, but my dad's full size Blazer oscillates more with worn shocks that my trucks does without any rear shocks.  I did notice that it had significantly more lean in the corners, but the harshness of the ride is gone.  If I wasn't swapping springs I would consider leaving the shocks off.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: Shockless Springs
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2005, 08:44:06 AM »
What kind of shocks are you running???  No rear shocks can be dangerous.  If you want a better ride step up to a good monotube shock like the bilsteins or edelbrock or rubicon or skyjacker platinum or........  :joke:

What you are probably seeing is that there is little weight in the rear of the truck and your current shocks are valved too stiff.  If you aren't into more expensive shock that can be custom valved for your application, you can try angling the shocks inward.  More angle effectivly allows the shock to act like it has a lower pressure valve.  You will however, lose some roll control.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2005, 08:47:55 AM »
I've noted the same thing. I'm in the process of putting on shackles, and my "extended" shocks don't fit  :shocking: No wonder I didn't get much wheel travel!  :haha: Putting on some RS9000X, and hope I can keep it as smooth as it runs witout shocks. Half tempted to leave the suckers off, but know I shouldn't  :hammerhead:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2005, 12:02:43 PM »
I am running Racho 9000 shocks (5 position) and they are not the problem, it is the stiff springs that make the ride unbearable in combination with the shocks.  The skyjackers that came with my Superlift (only ones available at the shop because mine were shipping wrong) were horrible.  The shocks will go back on sometime next week after the spring swap and mount relocation is finished and painted.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2005, 01:55:30 PM »
I was wondering the same thing after my TDS trip. My shocks were waaaay to short  for the front suspension so i just removed them. it actually worked great until I hit a really nasty crator like hole.  Talk about Buckin Bronco!!!!!  YEEEEE HAAAAAWWW. 
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2005, 04:02:34 PM »
The valveing iin a shock makes a huge diff..I like my 900x's,,hard or soft,,I can adjust..Got to love adjustment..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!