Author Topic: T100 SAS Project  (Read 46236 times)

541mudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Apr '13
  • rock crawlin, huntin, campin, drinkin...nuf said
    • View Profile
Re: T100 SAS Project
« Reply #90 on: Jun 17, 2015, 12:04:50 PM »
Ya i think so too. I am working with DORP in an attempt to get new front springs. mine should be under warranty.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Jul 13, 2015, 06:18:18 AM »
Well I managed to snap my driveling in half... on the freeway. Best guess is it snapped due to micro-fractures created from vibrations that were caused by the drive shaft being unbalanced. Anyway it was quite the experience... doing 60+ and having the drive shaft snap; then for some bizarre reason my driver's side air bag went off, causing me to swerve all over the road. At first I thought I blew my motor because it was a super loud bang and there was powder from the airbag in the air, which looks a lot like smoke. The part I find the most strange is that my driver's side airbag deployed but my passenger side did not :dunno: My best guess is that my driver's side airbag was defective because there was no reason for it to go off.

I was looking through photos on my phone ad found some old wheeling pictures of my truck before I did the SAS. Enjoy! :usa:

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #92 on: Jul 22, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »
 :thumbs: Diggin the build man.
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Jul 22, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
:thumbs: Diggin the build man.

Thanks man!!!

On that note I am having a local company building a single piece drive shaft so hopefully it won't break... Should have her back on the road Thursday  :crossed:
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2015, 12:59:00 PM by 541mudder »

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #94 on: Jul 22, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
sweet what the lengh?
Marlin Crawler

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Jul 22, 2015, 12:58:39 PM »
sweet what the lengh?

64.25" center of U-joint - center of U-joint.

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #96 on: Jul 23, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
wow thats long for one piece.  Did you consider a two piece.
Marlin Crawler

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Jul 23, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
wow thats long for one piece.  Did you consider a two piece.

Ya I did... It would have required a lot more fabrication when I was making the drive shaft and I just don't have time for that right now... If I manage to break this one I will definitely be reconsidering a two piece drive shaft. However, I don's see it breaking anytime soon because I am going to grad school and it will be sitting for the next two years. The hardest part of grad school will be knowing I jut got her up and going and now all I get to do is let her sit... makes me sad.

So in the long run this is more of a temporary fix than a permanent one.

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #98 on: Jul 23, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
That makes sense. Dude good for you on the grad school. Few years now benifits the rest of you life.
Marlin Crawler

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Jul 23, 2015, 02:19:07 PM »
That makes sense. Dude good for you on the grad school. Few years now benefits the rest of you life.

Thanks man, I couldn't agree more. A little pain for a lot of gain.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Aug 03, 2015, 06:43:27 AM »
Warthog Update:
We finished all of the fabrication and got her painted. Unfortunately, the paint wasn't quite the right color when it dried; but hell... close enough. We also took her for a test drive... she did 60MPH like it was nothin. She runs a little hot due to the limited ventilation; but it was 100° out that day. She ran and drove great until "yours truly" got behind the wheel. I was in the middle of a doughnut and managed to overlook the 300+ lb bolder in the middle of the entire graveled area... rad straight over it destroying the drive shaft and one shock... luckily it still drove (really slowly) so we were able to limp it back to the trailer. On a positive note nothing supper critical was destroyed. Here are some pictures of the our trip out...
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2015, 07:52:22 AM by 541mudder »

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Aug 03, 2015, 06:47:17 AM »
Here are some more photos... Enjoy!!!  :usa: :usa: :love:

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Oct 23, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »
Since I am in grad school thousands of miles away from home I enlisted the help of my youngest brother to take care of my truck and take her for a spin about once a month or so. Of course as luck would have it he managed to snap the bolts and u-brackets that attach the drive shaft to the yoke on the axle. Luckily the drive shaft wasn't damaged but this also means that she will no longer be driveable. Pictures show the carnage.

My buddies dad is taking care of the Warthog while we are in grad school and he has made a few upgrades. He installed a semi horn in the hood and replaced the rear drive shaft. Of course as soon as it was fixed he proceeded to high center it... here are some pics.

MaineT100

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Nov 15, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
Just read the whole build. Beautiful. Continue with updates. :beer:

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Nov 15, 2015, 11:54:34 AM »
Just read the whole build. Beautiful. Continue with updates. :beer:

Thanks, I'm glad it was enjoyable. I try to add as many photos as possible because nobody likes a novel. It's going to be a little while before much more is done. I'm 3 moths into my masters degree which will take 2 years to complete. Unfortunately, I am just over 5,000 miles from home so working on her is virtually impossible.

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #105 on: Nov 15, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
Well congrats on the grad school! What is the focus?

Maybe if you take two years for grad school my t100 might be done by the time you are done and we can go play. Lol

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Nov 16, 2015, 03:57:43 AM »
Well congrats on the grad school! What is the focus?

Maybe if you take two years for grad school my t100 might be done by the time you are done and we can go play. Lol

My focus is Mechanical Engineering.

Sounds good to me assuming she is running the way I want her to. She is due for a new timming belt and I need to rebuild the motor since she has just under 250K on the stock motor. I also have many other things I want to do to her before she is trully ready but I should be able to get her up and going in a decent amount of time once I'm back. I'm always down to go wheeling. What is your plan for your T100?

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #107 on: Nov 16, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
My focus is Mechanical Engineering.

Sounds good to me assuming she is running the way I want her to. She is due for a new timming belt and I need to rebuild the motor since she has just under 250K on the stock motor. I also have many other things I want to do to her before she is trully ready but I should be able to get her up and going in a decent amount of time once I'm back. I'm always down to go wheeling. What is your plan for your T100?

any specialty in mechanical engineering? like heat transfer, fluids, etc?  i am a mechanical engineer also is why i ask. 

my t100 has 366k on the stock motor and besides the cracked head and exhaust manifold, the compression was still in spec and oil analysis came back good.

i am just now collecting parts since i sold the 1st gen but i have some widened fj axles 5.29's detroit and spartan, 37" yokohama m/t's air bumps for the front and dual ultimate cases. i still need to buy coilovers, rear springs, and build the front 3 link. it is going to be a wait until i can cut her apart, but if all goes as planned by next spring i will have all the parts collected and sparks will start flying.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Nov 16, 2015, 09:42:45 AM »
any specialty in mechanical engineering? like heat transfer, fluids, etc?  i am a mechanical engineer also is why i ask. 

my t100 has 366k on the stock motor and besides the cracked head and exhaust manifold, the compression was still in spec and oil analysis came back good.

i am just now collecting parts since i sold the 1st gen but i have some widened fj axles 5.29's detroit and spartan, 37" yokohama m/t's air bumps for the front and dual ultimate cases. i still need to buy coilovers, rear springs, and build the front 3 link. it is going to be a wait until i can cut her apart, but if all goes as planned by next spring i will have all the parts collected and sparks will start flying.

Right now my focuses are on mechatronics and digital manufacturing. My third focus will probably be a combination of dynamics of systems, composite structures, materials and their properties and a dash of manufacturing. What are you doing as a mechanical engineer?

I know mine doesn't really need a rebuild that bad but shes eating oil right now and I've already burned through two injectors so I figured if I'm replacing the timing belt anyways its not much more work to rebuild the motor since the motor will be mostly torn apart anyways. Plus I will be almost exclusively wheeling her so tuning her up a bit sounds like a good idea.

So you're sticking with Toyota running gear huh... out of curiosity why? The T100 is so wide that full sized axles fit under her like they were made to be there; plus the 1ton axles are stronger, more common, and easier to work on. The 5.29 gears should run great and supper slow with the dual cases. Did you get the dual cases from Marlin? I really want dual cases but I need other stuff first. I found that I had far more power with 5.13 gears and 37's than I expected... you should have even more power.

Some day I will swap out the front leafs for coilovers but I'm gonna run the leafs as long as they get the job done. Good luck on your build! I look forward to seeing it on the forum!

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #109 on: Nov 17, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »
Right now my focuses are on mechatronics and digital manufacturing. My third focus will probably be a combination of dynamics of systems, composite structures, materials and their properties and a dash of manufacturing. What are you doing as a mechanical engineer?

I know mine doesn't really need a rebuild that bad but shes eating oil right now and I've already burned through two injectors so I figured if I'm replacing the timing belt anyways its not much more work to rebuild the motor since the motor will be mostly torn apart anyways. Plus I will be almost exclusively wheeling her so tuning her up a bit sounds like a good idea.

So you're sticking with Toyota running gear huh... out of curiosity why? The T100 is so wide that full sized axles fit under her like they were made to be there; plus the 1ton axles are stronger, more common, and easier to work on. The 5.29 gears should run great and supper slow with the dual cases. Did you get the dual cases from Marlin? I really want dual cases but I need other stuff first. I found that I had far more power with 5.13 gears and 37's than I expected... you should have even more power.

Some day I will swap out the front leafs for coilovers but I'm gonna run the leafs as long as they get the job done. Good luck on your build! I look forward to seeing it on the forum!

mechatronics is a good field. i took an advanced composites class in school and that was a very interesting field as well.

my focus in my BS was thermo/heat transfer and fluid dynamics with a minor in material science (hence the composites class). I work designing piping now. first four years of work were in remote power generation but now i work in the food and beverage industry designing sanitary stainless piping for liquid food and beverage processing with a specialty in breweries and distilleries.  I like designing breweries because of the taste testing...lol

we do have in house automation and controls so i get to dabble in dynamic systems when we program systems which is fun.

I chose the toyota axles about 5 years ago before i ever got the T100. I had a set of fj60 axles i bought with uninstalled 5.29's and decided i wanted to widen them and make something really different. at first they were slated for a tacoma, then my first gen, then the 4runner i sold to Joe, now the T100.  the front is a fj60 front with custom bobby long inners, IFS hubs and FROR brake setup to make it about 67.5" wide. the rear is a non elock fzj80 full float with a custom length axle for the short side to make it 67ish also. not built yet so no real numbers, just parts.

I went this direction because when i started collecting parts no one really used the toyota 9.5" diffs much outside of land cruiser circles and i thought they were really a good size for a toyota crawler. now others like booger have built similar axles for rigs and they have even been raced in KOH with success behind v8's with 37-40's.

I have done the Dana 60 and 14 bolt combo before and they never broke but they added immense unsprung weight and parts cost was significantly higher than the toyota stuff. also, i really like the 3rd member design vs the cast housings on the dana axles and the gear setup in the toyota stuff is way nicer than the dana stuff (no case spreader needed). also with only 37" tires the 9.5" housing can be made to have a lot better ground clearance than the dana 60 or 14 bolt axles.

cheapest or easiest route from scratch, no, but for me i already have most of it so it is my cheapest route, and at a similar strength to one tons without the extra weight and the cool factor from being all toyota.

trying to make the T100 toyota should have made in the first place...lol

or could be me just being a nerd and over engineering a simple axle swap and having too much time to dream.... you can be the judge...

as for the ratio, i was slightly worried the 5.29 would be too low for just 37's but like i said i already have them and if i dont like them on the freeway i can always find the parts for the R452 5th gear swap and go to a taller 5th for the freeway and still have the benefits of the lower gearing everywhere else.  IIRC i calced the 5.29's and 37's to be around 2850 on the highway. i think 4.10 and 31's were around 2600 so with the R452 5th it would put me right about the 2600 mark.

I actually got the dual cases used from Keith on here for the first gen but never swapped them in. i think it is a marlin gear set but an inchworm dual adapter but not certain.  i still need to go through them to verify everything is good but i will probably wait until i purchase the v6 adapter and triple shifter so i can keep the bench seat.

as soon as i get the truck back from the top end rebuild i will get some pictures and some pictures of the parts pile that has started.

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Nov 17, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »
my focus in my BS was thermo/heat transfer and fluid dynamics with a minor in material science (hence the composites class). I work designing piping now. first four years of work were in remote power generation but now i work in the food and beverage industry designing sanitary stainless piping for liquid food and beverage processing with a specialty in breweries and distilleries.  I like designing breweries because of the taste testing...lol

I have done the Dana 60 and 14 bolt combo before and they never broke but they added immense unsprung weight and parts cost was significantly higher than the toyota stuff. also, i really like the 3rd member design vs the cast housings on the dana axles and the gear setup in the toyota stuff is way nicer than the dana stuff (no case spreader needed).

cheapest or easiest route from scratch, no, but for me i already have most of it so it is my cheapest route, and at a similar strength to one tons without the extra weight and the cool factor from being all toyota.

trying to make the T100 toyota the way it should have been made in the first place...lol

or could be me just being a nerd and over engineering a simple axle swap and having too much time to dream.... you can be the judge...

as for the ratio, i was slightly worried the 5.29 would be too low for just 37's but like i said i already have them and if i dont like them on the freeway i can always find the parts for the R452 5th gear swap and go to a taller 5th for the freeway and still have the benefits of the lower gearing everywhere else.  IIRC i calced the 5.29's and 37's to be around 2850 on the highway. i think 4.10 and 31's were around 2600 so with the R452 5th it would put me right about the 2600 mark.

as soon as i get the truck back from the top end rebuild i will get some pictures and some pictures of the parts pile that has started.

Your designing breweries!!! Thats so cool! I would like the taste testing too. I miss the good Oregon beer back home. There are some good beers from back home here but they are about $5 or $6 a bottle so I don't get them often. Where did you go to school for your BS?

The 1tons are deffinitely heavier but for me it was the easiest way to go... I got the set for $600 which is half the cost of just the front axle. I have never needed a spreader to remove the carrier. Just a little persuasion was needed to get it to do what I wanted.

I agree whith you on the fact that Toyota should have mimicked their design from the first gen Toyota pickups and ran a solid axle... I think its one of the biggest downsides to all modern Toyotas.

Did you try the websight I used to see what your speeds would be? I posted the link in an earlier post on the first page. Very usefull and fairly acurate. I think mine said I would be going about 75-80mph in 5th @ 3000rpm. Because if the rpm limit on my driveshaft I was never able to test it but I was able to test 4th gear @ 3000rpm which resulted in about 55-65mph and the sight said I should be going somewhere in that range as well. I believe the T100 has the R150F transmission and not the R151F. However, the only difference is that 1st and 2nd in the R151F are lower than the R150F. The picture is the calcs for my truck.

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #111 on: Nov 18, 2015, 01:28:46 PM »
Your designing breweries!!! Thats so cool! I would like the taste testing too. I miss the good Oregon beer back home. There are some good beers from back home here but they are about $5 or $6 a bottle so I don't get them often. Where did you go to school for your BS?

The 1tons are deffinitely heavier but for me it was the easiest way to go... I got the set for $600 which is half the cost of just the front axle. I have never needed a spreader to remove the carrier. Just a little persuasion was needed to get it to do what I wanted.

I agree whith you on the fact that Toyota should have mimicked their design from the first gen Toyota pickups and ran a solid axle... I think its one of the biggest downsides to all modern Toyotas.

Did you try the websight I used to see what your speeds would be? I posted the link in an earlier post on the first page. Very usefull and fairly acurate. I think mine said I would be going about 75-80mph in 5th @ 3000rpm. Because if the rpm limit on my driveshaft I was never able to test it but I was able to test 4th gear @ 3000rpm which resulted in about 55-65mph and the sight said I should be going somewhere in that range as well. I believe the T100 has the R150F transmission and not the R151F. However, the only difference is that 1st and 2nd in the R151F are lower than the R150F. The picture is the calcs for my truck.

where are you going to grad school?  i bet you can find good local beer near you as well. should ave taken the t100 with you, bet you could find some wheeling near you.

I went to Washington State for my BS, graduated back in 2008.

I have never needed the spreader to remove the carrier but to reinstall it with the proper bearing preload it is really crucial.  I like to run my bearing preloads on the high end of the spec though because i have seen too many wear to looser tolerance so i figure might as well start tight. and being able to rebuild the 3rd on the bench is way nicer than under the rig.

600 is a screaming deal.  most dana 60 fronts i see down here are 1000-1500 stock.

i really like this page on Grimm Jeeper for gear ratio calc:
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
it lets you do two side by side to compare and even calcs crawl ration with duals. with 4.10's and 31's at 70 i wopuld be at 2613 RPMs. with 37's and 5.29's at 70 it is 2825 RPM.

at 3000RPM stock it calcs to 80 MPH and with the 37 and 5.29 would be 74 MPH

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Nov 18, 2015, 11:13:25 PM »
where are you going to grad school?  i bet you can find good local beer near you as well. should ave taken the t100 with you, bet you could find some wheeling near you.

600 is a screaming deal.  most dana 60 fronts i see down here are 1000-1500 stock.

i really like this page on Grimm Jeeper for gear ratio calc:
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

I am going to grad school in Finland so bring my truck along would have cost an arm and a leg plus it probably wouldn't pass inspection. Most of the local beer here is the equivalent of Bush, Coors, or Keystone back home. However, there are some good beers brewed here but they still cost $5-$10 a beer.

Yeah I saw the add on Craigslist and picked them up the next weekend. Was to good of a deal to pass up.

I like the Grimm Jeeper site you shared the link for. I book marked it for future use. Thanks for sharing.  :usa:

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #113 on: Nov 19, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »
yeah i guess finland would be hard travels for the truck...lol

maybe you can find some diesel crew cab hiluxes while you are there and mail them back piece by piece....lol

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Nov 19, 2015, 10:44:04 AM »
maybe you can find some diesel crew cab hiluxes while you are there and mail them back piece by piece....lol

I think a better idea would be to just take the power train and mail it back... cheaper because of less weight. Although there would still be the issue of emissions so it might not make it through customs...

541mudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Jun 06, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »
Before you all get mad I know this is not the right place to post this. However, I wanted to let the thread know what was going on.

I AM SELLING THE TRUCK!!!  :yikes: