Author Topic: ***THE VOLUNTEER***  (Read 2169 times)

robert.levi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
***THE VOLUNTEER***
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:18:49 AM »

DISCLAIMER: I'm starting this thread on multiple forums to gather as much information as possible so I apologize if you've already seen this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95682116@N03/8732353834/in/photostream/lightbox/

Hey bros, just picked up this 1985 4Runner 22REC with 130k on the original engine.

A little history behind it: I scoured the internet every night towards the end of my tour in Afghanistan looking for a great 4Runner.  I saw the posting for this truck - which I thought was perfect - and contacted the owner but was deterred by the $6500 price tag.  Also, it was in Mobile, AL, while I was in Nashville, TN.

But by the time I got home I still hadn't found what I was looking for and the truck was still listed on CL.  So I sacked up and decided to take a leap of faith.  I flew down to New Orleans, where the owner met me.  The truck was definitely in great shape, but with a little wear and tear here and there.  Most importantly though, it had been garage kept with absolutely no rust on the frame or body, except for a dime size bubble in the paint below the gas cap (of course).

I bought it for $5700, which I now believe was a high.  I followed the owner home to Mobile to notarize the bill of sale (his mother was the official owner) and then I turned north and held her at a steady ~65mph for about 10 hrs.  Absolutely no problems to speak of up to this point, except I had to have a new AC compressor installed for R134 (prior owner disclosed this), which was out of my scope of mechanic ability.

The previous owner added the visor, which he drilled into the frame (!) and added the original Toyota decals (although I believe that particular design was originally intended for the Pickups).  He also added the running boards.  On the inside (which is in awesome condition save a single rip in the driver's seat), he added some pioneer speaker in the rear, so I presume he cut into those panels. Otherwise she's bone stock.

I'm ready to start sinking some money in to the her, but I'm looking for guidance on which direction to take her.  Originally, my plan was to build up a respectable expedition vehicle that I can use for a daily driver (the 22RE's MPG was a major buying point for me).  My initial concern was all-bolt on additions, no permanent cutting/welding.  I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the Old Man Emu 2.5" heavy lift, but I'm getting caught up in finding the right front/rear bumpers.  Pretty much all of my options involve at least cutting brackets, if not major welds to the frame.  Part of me wants to say, "F- it, lets get crazy and make the beast how I want her." But part of me also says, "Whoa, If I put in a little bit of work and got her to a 'Restored' condition I could probably sell her for at least $8500 in CA (where I'm moving to in a 9 months)." And then I could buy another, cheaper 4Runner that I felt more comfortable cutting into.  WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

So at this point these are the upgrades I'm considering most:
-OME 2.5" Heavy Lift
-33x10.5" or 285/75/16 (~32.8x11.2") Tires (leaning towards Toyo Open Country M/T)
-16" wheels
-Yukon 4.88 gears
-Marlin V6 IFS performance brake combo
-Custom front bumper (either CBI DIY or Badlands Baja/Basher)
-Custom rear swing out bumper. (Probably Badlands swing out).
-Softopper/bikini top

A few questions:

For those running the OME suspension, have you had to add Hysteer/adujustable drop drag link/custom pitman arm?  Do you find any rubbing with 33's?  I've been researching this for a hot minute and haven't found any definitive answer (including one from ARB).

Any advice is welcomed.  Thanks guys  -RL

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: ***THE VOLUNTEER***
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »
4runners in CA are a dime a dozen, anyone trying to sell a stock or close to it 4runner for $8500 needs to put down the [insert substance of choice] pipe...

rig looks good though... congrats on your purchase
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

robert.levi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »
I've already had two offers for $7500.  I find the starting price is $5000 in the Bay Area and further north if it's in moderate shape.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
well good luck with that then....... people try and sell them all day here for $4k, and are surprised when they never sell....... and I live it the bay area.... been here 31 years

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »
Ive been offered 4k for my clean stock 86 SR5 I got from the orig owner. Mine is 100 percent stock though. Nothing was cut or added to it. I live in Nor Cali.

That visor being screwed into the body hurst the value, and ability to call i clean, quite a bit IMO. Have you pulled it off to make sure there is no rust? How many holes were drilled in it?

That truck will not bring 8k restored here in cali. It isnt nice enough or orig enough. Sorry. Im not saying smash it to pieces, just that your no going to get more than 6k for it pretty much however you build it.

A few months ago one sold for 12k with 50k orig miles on it. Immaculate.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
oh yeah, are you active duty military? if so, what branch? where are you going to be out in norcal?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:39:48 AM »
Not trying to rain on ur parade here but $8k is alotta money for that even built. I live in cali. Ive got a built 84 runner with 88k miles. I may be able to get 5k for it if i hold out...
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

robert.levi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
I don't know where the disconnect is.  There's a '85 SR5 with 189k on the motor on CL Bay Area right now for $11,500.  In any case, the 'bursting of my bubble' is actually somewhat reassuring because it's making me more willing to take the leap of truly transforming it.

Right now, this is my daily driver, which the 22RE is great for since it's getting around 20mpg and still gives me 4x4 ability. As a daily driver I didn't want to get too crazy with the suspension, seeing in particular I don't rock crawl and I'm not looking for maximum articulation. But I use it regularly on fire trails/dirt roads during work. I also hope to start using it toward long range expeditions, beginning in the western US, maybe up to Alaska, and eventually all the way down to the southern tip of South America and then back. That's why I'm pushing this towards an expedition style vehicle and I've been focusing on the OME with 33x10.5's. But to be honest from what I'm finding the OME suspension is great standalone, but when you consider the steering components it seems as though going to a IFS steering box is the best option (which won't work with a 2.5" lift, from what I understand) and if I'm going to start cutting and welding might as well go with a 4" or 5" lift. But as a daily driver and someone who does not wheel recreationally too often I can't sacrifice my road driving ability too much. So this is how I see it:

Option 1 (stock): upgrade to OME soft suspension and larger wheels only. Try to correct everything to bone stock. Plan on selling in one to two years and just buy a beaten up 4runner and then do what I really want (the smartest financially?)

Option 2 (expedition): upgrade to the OME heavy lift, upgrade front and rear armor, drop in 4.88s, V6 IFS premium brakes, maybe some engine mods.

Option 3: get crazy with it and start cutting and welding, starting with a 4-5" lift and following on from there. Only probably with this is that now Im looking at moving the axle forward, changing the driveshaft, etc etc. Down the rabbit hole I go.

So that's what I'm thinking. Opinions (I know this is Marlin CRAWLER, but remember I moving towards expedition driving - I could use some direction on lifts beyond bolt on i.e. All-Pro, Alcan, etc)?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »
there are a couple people here that have set theirs up for cross continent expeditions, you should check out there threads... I think there is actually a expedition forum here

~ John F. Kennedy ~

robert.levi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
jimbo-
   Yeah I've been looking around.  Specifically ExpeditionPortal.com.  But I trust Marlin Crawler guys with the best tech information so I like to hear what y'all have to say.  FYI I'm stationed at Campbell and will be returning the Bay on a PCS to a guard unit in Redwood City.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:21 PM »
Check this post out if your looking into expedition style of driving.  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=85750.0

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 11:40:41 PM »
I think the 1st thing on your list of to-do's for offroad is to ditch the running boards since they will be the 1st victims of just about any rock. If you are not going to be rockcrawling keep it stock up front but go ahead and lift it a few inches that will allow you to increase the tire size which will also give you even more lift. I wouldn't rule out a minimal body lift either 1 or 2 inches max. Lockers will be a major upgrade for any offroad travel and a winch will be a must have if you are traveling solo. Spare parts if you go down south will be your best friend as things get pretty rough down there. Check out the link Cheesy posted above if you want to see what you will be up against in a South America run.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you