Author Topic: great idea? double shackles...  (Read 4278 times)

BabyJesus16

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 46
  • Member since Jan '13
  • Barely Crawlin' Along
    • View Profile
great idea? double shackles...
« on: Feb 05, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
when re doing the rear leafs on my truck i made a hybrid junkyard pack. Main leaf was inch longer then stock, so heres some pics of my double shackle tell me what u think.

my double shackle set up, stock fronts flipped, eyelit cut off broken pair of leafs n cut a v into old bumpstops and put them on up side down, used round stock and part of stock rear shackle for a stop.

Sir Reppik                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Pheq Ewe

85runner_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 204
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Re: great idea? double shackles...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2013, 03:04:54 PM »
Have you test drove it yet?

sent from my galaxy s3

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
Have fun, when they unload at the wrong time!!!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

NorCalPR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 223
  • Member since Dec '08
  • NorCal TTORA Prez
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »
Sorry but that top spring will snap or bend without the second leaf closer to the end.
"W6FTW"

BabyJesus16 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 46
  • Member since Jan '13
  • Barely Crawlin' Along
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »
Ya ive noticed that. Been a little scared but been wheeling on it for 6 months .
Sir Reppik                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Pheq Ewe

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
You can see the negative arch from the end of the second spring to the shackle in the last picture.  A second main leaf will support that section w/o stiffening the ride or reducing the flex.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
I'm with OOPS they tend to unload at the worst moment. I did had them on my Samurai front and rear with no issues but the front shackles were up front and I also made a pin to lock them in place on the road and also on extreme angles.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Zane

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »
i have a double shackle setup on my truck with 63s, and i havent ever had problems with them unloading. in my limited experience, they only seem to unload if you tighten the center bolt too much. my advice is get some lock nuts on there and make sure you dont overtighten them. heres a pic of mine.

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:34:20 PM »
I run a double shackle as well with 63s and so far haven't had an issue with unloading. been running them for 2 years
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510