Author Topic: My 85 build.  (Read 5318 times)

mannysouza

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
My 85 build.
« on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
So i starting a new build. This is the fast version and it should be a driver by next week. I have been working on it since May.

I want a pickup this time to wheel on the Con without the family. It will be slow build. I have a wheeler but want something totally Toyota and not be such an odd ball. The truck is pretty nice. Has a blown head gasket and a rod knock. Interior is nice. The truck has 275,000 miles on the odometer. I plan on making  a lot of my own stuff. An exo cage that will double as a lumber rack.

Here is my current wheeler. It is a great wheeler but the ground clearance is lacking with the 4 link mounts. I want to keep it and make it the Mob Hauler ( family wheeler).

Not mine smoking it was the jeep in fro t of me.

So here is the donor frame that I got from a local toyota junk yard. Toy Connection.

It has 4:88 gears
Detroit in the rear
ARB in the front
High steer
IFS steering box
Good engine
All pro springs
And a full tank of gas.

I also just picked up 4.7 Marlin gear set for the t case.

More to come...

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Re: My 85 build.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »
I have accumulated almost all of the parts for my build.

Picked up a new U bolts,  bushing kit for the springs an axle gusset all from All Pro.

90k original mile 22re engine. Looks new.

Turbo clutch.

Sky's extending shackles

Sky diff guards

Sky front spring mount

Used bud built crossmember/skid plate

Tantrum rock light kit

Toy Connection hooked me up with the Marlin crawler box and a press to set it up.

Purchased a complete 4.7 Marlin t case from the marlin forums. Just need to do a top shift conversion to it.

Twin Sticks from Trail Gear

Stealing the some parts off the Geo. The diffs which have ARBs V6 diffs front and rear. Long fields and Yukon chromo rears. 

I still need to pick up the DOM tube for the exo cage.

When I get back in town, next week, I will start work on it.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »
I ended up going F150 springs in the rear and RUF from this truck. Not sure if I like how far forward the axle has been moved. I will be having Alcan make me some new ones after it totally built with the exo, winch and all the hardware completed.

My little guy has been helping me out a lot. I pretty amazed how much help he already can do at the age of 5. It is really fun. This will be his someday if he wants it.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:34:33 PM »
Got the kids working on the transfer case today. They like to work on this stuff.

Also started to hack up thebody a little for the sliders and rear bumper.

3/16x2x4 tubing for sliders and exo mount.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »
Bumper has been started. I need to trim the fender some more and the end of the bumper.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »
Got some stuff done today. Lately i feel like i have no time for therapy. Well today i had a therapy session. I'm still up in the air about my modular exocage design. Regardless the cage needs to be built. So here are the update pictures. Im pretty happy how the cage is coming together. Nice and tight.

Sliders are 3/16"

Finished up mounting the sliders to the frame. Plenty strong!

Thinking of putting a shoe hole tostand on the sliders.

Exo cage pictures.

My JMR bender. I love using this tool.

More updates coming.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »

Not sure if i like the LED light bar. I may change it and mount it on the bumper. I really light how it thows light from up high.

I will he installing cross bracing and have expanded metal so i can throw stuff on top. I really want to haul in a paddleboat to buck.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
Body, drive train and gas tank removed.

Rear bumper almost done.

sliders

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
Update;

Numbernext,
  No I will not add more support which I do not think it is necessary.  The sliders attach 8 times to the frame. Front bumper as it sits now has 4 and the rear bumper has 5. 17 frame attachment points is plenty plus it will most likely have more than that when all done. If I rip out of the frame I have more problems to worry about than just that.

I have decided to go with all pro springs after all. I was in contact with Alcan and they said if the truck doesn't sit level it was on me. flopp that. So the tried and true All Pros. Everyone I know who runs them are very happy. Anyways leafs are not great even if I spend a grip on them. So why not just buy something that I can sell later when I link it.

I installed the dual cases and transmission to the original 90k engine. Lightly used turbo clutch as well.  I had a clearance issue with the Marlin doubler and the 4wd shift shaft from TG. Not sure if anyone else has encountered the same problem but here are some pictures of the issue.

Her you can see the shaft marked the doubler,

shaft don't fit into doubler releif.

Ground out a lot of material to make it fit.

So her is where I'm at at this point.

Should get the springs next week. Cannot wait to get this project going.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »
Little more done. Tacked the shock mounts. Cutting out the body to fit steering box, slider supports and shock hoops. Waiting for body mounts bushings and rear springs.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:47:39 PM »
Got some more parts. I'm on my way to the finish line. Pretty much it is turning into a cookie cutter but it will be running soon.

Picked up a used, but not used too much, Warn M8000 winch. I have had my other M8000 for 11 years now. It has been a great winch other than burning up a solenoid every year. the bumper still needs work but really want to get this thing driving.

I bought complete diffs instead of scavaging diffs off of my current wheeler. I got a Hi pinion front and ARBs F/R with Sierra 5.29 gears. I plan on using this truck for work and play. So selectable lockers was what I wanted. Both diff housings are v6.

Been working at this pretty slow. Did the 5th stud mod.

Got me some sweet RCV (Real Longfields) axles. They even have laser engraved the " C-Ya-mister" on them. I didn't know that they all came with that.

Tomorrow I hope to get the Hi pinion front. Then I need to get the drive shafts made and exhaust installed.

Later on the exo cage installed and hydro assist.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »
I got some work in on this yesterday and today. Finished up the front axle assembly. I cut the splash guards so the still have the brake line mount. I have cut it all off in the past but this time I did it a little different. This way mud and rocks don't get caught inside but the hard line has support where the braided line mounts up. All stock brakes for now. I do like that solid rotors cannot get mud stuck in them like the vented rotors. My main concentration is to get it be a driver.

I have decided to do some DIY bead locks on the factory Sr5 wheels and cleaned up real nice. They clear the high steer and I will get an additional 1" off set with the DIY bead locks. I think they will look trick and it will keep the all Toyota theme, well for the most part.

I installed the diffs. I used Lube lockers for the different gaskets. I had them laying around and figured I would use them. Not sure if they are reusable.

Still need to weld the rear spring perches.  I'm waiting for drive shafts so I can set the pinion angle and then I will be able to mount the shocks. I removed two leaves from  the all pro rear springs.

Drive shafts are at South Bay Driveline. He has built a lot of drive shafts for me and they come out great for the price. Gave him two 1985 front drive shafts and one rear. He is going to build a rear with double card an off a front and use heavy wall tube so it doesn't ding easy. The front will have an extreme slip shaft and a double cardan joint. The extreme slip will make it possible to put it on the rear if no other option is available.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »
I have decided not to invest the money into the 15" rims. I know they would look bitchen. I want to upgrade to 37" tires and the MTRs only come in a 17" rim so I think these will do for now. If I do not upgrade I will do the beadloks. I like the offset of these more.

To be continued.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »
looks really good!  :clap:

nice clean work! i want some sliders and a bumper like that! make me some!
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
I like!!!  :thumbs:

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2014, 05:59:11 AM »
Thamks.  I cannot wait to drive it. Trying to complete it so I can hit up the dusy ershim trail before the weather sours up.

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2014, 07:39:37 AM »
Looks awesome!

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2014, 09:31:22 AM »
Nice work
Time to go wheelin!

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:41:21 AM »
Got the drive shafts.

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
Outstanding! Solid as a rock! :beerchug:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,729
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »
Nice tube work. What kind of notcher do you use?
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2014, 10:43:53 PM »
I forget the name of the notcher. I bought it 22 years ago. It uses a hole saw.

today was the first day driving it around. Finally. Still have a lot of stuff to complete but a driving project is much better than a non driving project.

« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2014, 10:50:41 PM by mannysouza »

Wisdomination

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Member since Aug '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 20, 2014, 11:49:20 PM »
Sweet build you got going here. Tube work looks good!
Got specs on rim/tire/lift size?

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2014, 06:45:25 AM »
In the end, i went with All Pro 4" fronts and 5" rears(beacause they were out of stock on the 4" rears.) and removed 2 leafs. All Pro did say my warranty will not be valid for doing so.

Wheels are beadlocks i found on craigslist, i paid $200.00 for 5 wheels. They have been on my Geo for years. They are not the greatest but they do the job.

35" MTRs.

Last night i got all the vacuum lines sorted out, new stereo installed and tiddied up a bit more.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 29, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
Made a front skid plate.

And poser picture,

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:44:41 AM »
    I have been driving this around for a few weeks. I'ts so dam loud inside while driving I can't hear  while talking on my phone (yes I talk while driving.). I also needed to plumb, mount switches and wire up the lockers, install some beats, run the wiring for the lights and other odds and ends. So I pulled apart the whole interior. Since I'm doing an exo cage, I hate the drone associated with an exo cage, I used a knock off dynamat. I did the roof, back of cab, doors and fire wall. Huge difference when I close the door (Sounds solid). Should be a lot quieter inside. Still need to peel up the insulation and install it on the floor.
    I got the A/C working like a champ. Pretty nice since it's been a 100 degrees+/- for a long time here.
    I found a Hella wiring harness in my garage. It was for my prerunner. It has a dimmer switch built in. I'm going to see if it will work with the LED lights I got. If not I will bypass the dimmer with a switch.

Had a blow out on a brand new MTR.  There was no sidewall reinforcement in one section at all. It was replaced.

The sidewall was a 1/4" thick in this section.

mannysouza [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:57:46 AM »
I also ordered up a triple stick shifter and having a bench seat upholstered so both the kiddoes can ride with me.