Author Topic: Still over heating!!  (Read 4047 times)

konarider1993

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
Still over heating!!
« on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
I have an 87 runner with a 22re and have a brand new fan clutch, thermostat, water pump, and radiator and am STILL over heating. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to check out or replace next? any help greatly appreciated!

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
Re: Still over heating!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
I have an 87 runner with a 22re and have a brand new fan clutch, thermostat, water pump, and radiator and am STILL over heating. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to check out or replace next? any help greatly appreciated!

head gasket.  my 93 was doing the same thing replaced all the same parts you did and still over heat.  turned out it was the head gasket.
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

Dave C

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »
I had a similar problem once on my 86 extra-cab truck with 22re . The fix was a 2 stage thermostat . It is a thermostat that has 2 temp valves . You can buy it at the toyota stealership for about 40 dollars . part number 90916-03070 . What happens on the 22R and 22RE engine, when the coolant goes through the heater core it gets cooled off enough that when it gets dumped back in on top of the t-stat it shuts it. Therefore the temperature in the engine continues to go up. The t-stat that I have mentioned has two valves in it, one at the regular temp. and one smaller on at a cooler temp. If the cool water shuts the big one, the smaller one stays open. The overshooting/spiking temperature gauge may also appear independent of heater operation. Hope this helps . :cheese:

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2011, 06:53:18 PM by Dave C »

konarider1993 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »
I had a similar problem once on my 86 extra-cab truck with 22re . The fix was a 2 stage thermostat . It is a thermostat that has 2 temp valves . You can buy it at the toyota stealership for about 40 dollars . part number 90916-03070 . Hope this helps .  :cheese:  What happens on the 22R and 22RE engine, when the coolant goes through the heater core it gets cooled off enough that when it gets dumped back in on top of the t-stat it shuts it. Therefore the temperature in the engine continues to go up. The t-stat that I have mentioned has two valves in it, one at the regular temp. and one smaller on at a cooler temp. If the cool water shuts the big one, the smaller one stays open. The overshooting/spiking temperature gauge may aslo appear independent of heater operation. :thumbs:

Ill go talk to the Toyota dealership tomorrow and buy one if this is the case thanks for  help!!

konarider1993 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:53:11 PM »
head gasket.  my 93 was doing the same thing replaced all the same parts you did and still over heat.  turned out it was the head gasket.
just got brand new head! warped the original over heating

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:25:18 AM »
Are you sure it is overheating? Is it actually boiling over or are you relying on the gauge to say it is overheating? Drop a test gauge in the radiator and see what the real temp is. Also have you done a leak-down test to see if the work you did was sealing properly?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

konarider1993 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:48:17 PM »
Are you sure it is overheating? Is it actually boiling over or are you relying on the gauge to say it is overheating? Drop a test gauge in the radiator and see what the real temp is. Also have you done a leak-down test to see if the work you did was sealing properly?
temp guage doesnt work.. guess i should get on that. yeah i was boiling. I got a cooler thermostat and that seemed to fix it...until i was driving home from work today and check engine light came on. hmmmm

Bobby Hunter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 53
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Sep '09
  • Bobby Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:28:23 PM »
are you running anti-freeze or just water?
Tech head for 2nd gen Runners

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »
I have always drilled a 1/8th inch hole in my thermostats even after getting the tstat mentioned above.   

water or coolant??   it does make a difference.

was the block bored over at any time??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
temp guage doesnt work.. guess i should get on that. yeah i was boiling. I got a cooler thermostat and that seemed to fix it...until i was driving home from work today and check engine light came on. hmmmm
before you do anything else buy a oil and temp mechanical gauge set.  the idiot lights and factory gauges are useless.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

konarider1993 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »
are you running anti-freeze or just water?
i was running water and it was just fine. But with this new radiator i put anti freeze in it since we are getting into winter.

konarider1993 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
I have always drilled a 1/8th inch hole in my thermostats even after getting the tstat mentioned above.   

water or coolant??   it does make a difference.

was the block bored over at any time??

i ripped out that little valve thing on the thermostat so it is like i have a little 1/8th inch hole. should i drill another? it is a 82 degree t-stat instead of the 88 degree because i would overheat bad with the 88 degree.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »
antifreeze raises the boiling point, as does pressure. It doesnt help the engine stay cooler, it stops the water from turning to gas at a higher point.

if your overheating like you describe, it has nothing to do with antifreeze
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
might try a V6 radiator

konarider1993 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
might try a V6 radiator

or mabey just get rid of this pos plastic top oreilllys one

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:51:06 PM »
antifreeze raises the boiling point, as does pressure. It doesnt help the engine stay cooler, it stops the water from turning to gas at a higher point.

if your overheating like you describe, it has nothing to do with antifreeze

That's not completely true, electrolysis will occur by running either the wrong coolant or straight water. Sure you can get away with it for a bit but straight water will cause plugging in short order. Since it has been stated that it had previously been run with water there could be a plugging issue here. The water itself will cause an electrical charge throughout the cooling system and pit the water jackets. If allowed for very long holes will also occur, and everything that comes with that will plug the head and block.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »
I know about electrolysis. You can use distilled water to help it a bunch. I wasnt saying its ok to not run coolant, I was saying its not the reason the truck is ovrheating. Ive personally never seen a 22r plug up from electroysis. If its goten to that point, it east the water jackets in the head and cause it to blow the hg.

Again im not saying its good to run water, im saying its almost definitely not the reason hes overheating.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:06:45 PM »
My daughter took my 84 to AZ. for a couple years, her ex only put water in it. That in turn clogged the radiator which of course led to buildup inside the motor due to overheating all the time. I finally went and brought it home during the winter that year since it was cool out and I could get it all the way here, it didn't matter to me how much more it damaged the motor driving all that way since I had prepared with a replacement. There was a ton of muck inside the engine. Not saying you are not correct either, it's just one bad move leads to another.  I buried it in the backyard with a cross. :gap: