Author Topic: need to lower my ride......ideas??  (Read 2743 times)

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
need to lower my ride......ideas??
« on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
well this is how it sits right now, I wanna get it as low as I can without linking it, I'm not afraid to cut the body to clear the rubber at all.

currently sits on 3" tg front and rear, the shackles are both in the frame front and rear, and is at 28" to the bottom of the frame sitting on 42's with 30 psi.

I really want to get it about 2-3" lower, I was thinking about chevies in the rear with a frenched hanger, and mixing my fronts with some rears for a ruf pack in the front.

any other thoughts on this would be helpfull,     thanks for any input

this is on 39.5's

this is on 37's right after the springs where installed

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: need to lower my ride......ideas??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:19:21 PM »
the last pic is before I went through the frame with the rear shackle

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »
You could drill you shackles would lower it, but might limit your flex.
If you see it, its for sale.

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:22:49 PM »
You could drill you shackles would lower it, but might limit your flex.
the only way I want to limit flex is with new bump stops to keep the rubber out of the body after trimming

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
you can pull some springs from the leaf pack
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »
you can pull some springs from the leaf pack

will it make it to unstable on the road? I still drive this on the street, I've never drivin a truck with a pack that has leaves removed, and I thought it would make it realy soft? if not then this might be the easiest way to get the job done..

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:44:37 PM »
and thanks for your guys input so far

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2011, 04:01:54 PM »
Drilling and pulling a leaf both limit upper flex, by moving the shackle further back
If you see it, its for sale.

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
what do you guys think about the chevies in the rear with a frenched hanger and no block? think I would loose a couple inches?

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
what do you guys think about the chevies in the rear with a frenched hanger and no block? think I would loose a couple inches?
well the chevies give you about 3 in of lift depending on your shackle so french the hanger you'd probably get 2 in of lift.

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »
There are a few threads about low lift. The biggest thing is your mounts have to be set up correctly. I forget if you have a drop front hanger. If you do, cut it out. Make sure you don't have vertical shackles. Get a lot of angle on them.

And flatten your springs !!!!!!!!!

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
There are a few threads about low lift. The biggest thing is your mounts have to be set up correctly. I forget if you have a drop front hanger. If you do, cut it out. Make sure you don't have vertical shackles. Get a lot of angle on them.

And flatten your springs !!!!!!!!!
It would take ALOT of work to raise my front hanger, I was hoping to do it all with the springs and frenching the rear hanger, my shackle angle is pretty good now, just dont have the time to cut and redo the front stuff right now, maybe later but then it will prolly require cutting and turning my axle also, lots of work.......

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »
I'd start pulling leafs and add some good bump stops :dunno: Cheap and super fast. It's going to lean more and have a softer ride but its fast.

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »
It would take ALOT of work to raise my front hanger, I was hoping to do it all with the springs and frenching the rear hanger, my shackle angle is pretty good now, just dont have the time to cut and redo the front stuff right now, maybe later but then it will prolly require cutting and turning my axle also, lots of work.......
i actually have to do exactly what you're doing (kinda forgot on that first post.) but the truck i got was way to tall. i lowered the rear 6 inches from where it was by taking out a bunch of rear leaves (PO used 3/4 ton chevy 63s and didn't take out any springs so now i'm only running the 3, maybe 4 can't remember, longest springs i have about 6 in between the otp of my tire and the top of the wheel well. and on the front i'm going to do RUF with maybe 4 springs (2 longest factory, overload and a cherokee 6 in lift spring.) i'm hoping for 4 inches of lift above stock. i'm only running 35s but also not trimming. hope that gives you an idea of the lift with that setup.

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
My 82 was 23inches to bottom of frame on 40s. im running bottom 5 springs from a waggy pack and top two are stock toy rears. and chevy out back 2 leafs plus over load. no blocks and a 6inch shackle. If your runner was mine this is what i would do. I would start off by sucking the front hanger up into the frame. ( your hanger has alot of drop in it, Where my skys hanger has alot less drop)your front shackles are already french into the frame so your good there. make your self a ruf pack.( could even use some springs from the tg pack) And out back i would go with the chevys or fords, And french the hanger as needed. Its alot of work to be done. But it will be worth it in the long run.
 Im getting ready to do all this to my blazer. witch also started life as a 2wd. I am planing on being under 25 inches to bottom of frame on 40s when im done.
Forgot to add. I would swap out spring first to see how it works then if needed start cutting and moving all your hangers.
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »
I would do the frenched chevies with either two or three leaves and then a RUF pack. You can use lots of different combinations with other leaves on the RUF, not just toyota, to try to get a pack without too much lift.

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »
My 82 was 23inches to bottom of frame on 40s. im running bottom 5 springs from a waggy pack and top two are stock toy rears. and chevy out back 2 leafs plus over load. no blocks and a 6inch shackle. If your runner was mine this is what i would do. I would start off by sucking the front hanger up into the frame. ( your hanger has alot of drop in it, Where my skys hanger has alot less drop)your front shackles are already french into the frame so your good there. make your self a ruf pack.( could even use some springs from the tg pack) And out back i would go with the chevys or fords, And french the hanger as needed. Its alot of work to be done. But it will be worth it in the long run.
 Im getting ready to do all this to my blazer. witch also started life as a 2wd. I am planing on being under 25 inches to bottom of frame on 40s when im done.
Forgot to add. I would swap out spring first to see how it works then if needed start cutting and moving all your hangers.
yeah I will eventually redo the front hanger, but for now I'm gonna leave it and just try the springs first, then later when I have more toyota time, cut it up and make it better (maybe start saving up to get it linked like it should be)

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:41:42 PM »
I would do the frenched chevies with either two or three leaves and then a RUF pack. You can use lots of different combinations with other leaves on the RUF, not just toyota, to try to get a pack without too much lift.
yeah I think I like the chevies, and with the added weight of my runner I think the 3 leaf 1/2 ton pack would be nice and low, Ive got a set of rears I was gonna mix with a couple of leaves from my tg pack and see what happens

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
yeah I think I like the chevies, and with the added weight of my runner I think the 3 leaf 1/2 ton pack would be nice and low, Ive got a set of rears I was gonna mix with a couple of leaves from my tg pack and see what happens

I think that is a good plan. Shouldn't cost too much either. I think Ruffstuff even makes a frenched chevy hanger, so it shouldn't take too long either. Keep us updated, that runner is looking good  :thumbs: Can't lose with 42's!  :gap: