Author Topic: 85-89 4runner engine question  (Read 1737 times)

blackSR5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
85-89 4runner engine question
« on: Aug 11, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »
I'm trying to get back into wheelin and I am looking a getting a 85-89 runner with a 4 cylinder engine. I rally dont know a ton about engines...ok I know nothing about engines at all. Is this engine something simple to rebuild?? I have seen a ton of these trucks for sale with blown motors for cheap and I need something to start with. Also is this a cheaper engine to rebuild?? I am just wondering if this is something that I could take on with no knowledge or if I should find one that runs and go from there. I want to learn!! Thanks for all the help.
Want a Runner or a truck...and a DIRT BIKE!!!

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: 85-89 4runner engine question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2010, 04:29:25 PM »
find one that runs first.  and yes the 4bangers are good engines.  try to stay away from the 3.0 v/6.  they are more maintenance.
i love oregon wheelin.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »
Virtually anyone with some mechanical ability can rebuild a 22r(e) engine, it is a simple design that makes it very easy to work/learn on.  As mentioned though you might want to start w/one that runs but needs a rebuild.  It will be easier for a beginner to rebuild a working engine, then to rebuild one, and then try and diagnos it after the rebuild.

Rebuild costs not including machine work or a new head should run you under $350.  You could do a power build, i.e., bore the cylinders, oversize valves, performance cam, maybe even a header, for under $1k.  The performance rebuild should increase the HP to about 145hp at the crank, and it wont reduce the reliabaility of the engine.

Check Engine Builder's.com for rebuild and performance parts.  They sell quality parts for discount prices, good customer service, and are engine builders as well.

This '93FSM, will help you through the tear down and rebuild process.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackSR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:03:02 AM »
Virtually anyone with some mechanical ability can rebuild a 22r(e) engine, it is a simple design that makes it very easy to work/learn on.  As mentioned though you might want to start w/one that runs but needs a rebuild.  It will be easier for a beginner to rebuild a working engine, then to rebuild one, and then try and diagnos it after the rebuild.

Rebuild costs not including machine work or a new head should run you under $350.  You could do a power build, i.e., bore the cylinders, oversize valves, performance cam, maybe even a header, for under $1k.  The performance rebuild should increase the HP to about 145hp at the crank, and it wont reduce the reliabaility of the engine.

Check Engine Builder's.com for rebuild and performance parts.  They sell quality parts for discount prices, good customer service, and are engine builders as well.

This '93FSM, will help you through the tear down and rebuild process.
find one that runs first.  and yes the 4bangers are good engines.  try to stay away from the 3.0 v/6.  they are more maintenance.

Thanks guys. I apperciate it. I think that you are right with starting on a running engine. As far as the 3.0 v6...I had 2 of thos engines before...never again never again.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2010, 03:00:16 PM »
I have been happy w/the 3.0 in my '90, but then again I have had it since it was new.  Of course it had the cylinders bored out after I hydro locked it during a faled creek crossing, I am running headers, better exhaust, upograded ignition, and my own true cld air intake system.  I have had two rounds of burnt valves though, but no head gasket issue.  Granted it averages less mpg's than my '91 22r(e), but it is a lot more fun to drive, it will run circles around my lighter '91.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackSR5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2010, 04:06:30 PM »
Yeah I had a ton of power in mine also...I just got so sick of the valve issue. When I sold my 89 runner it had 30lbs of compretion in like 4 cylinders or something stupid like that. I just have 0 engine experiance at all and need to learn some how. I am just looking for the easiest place to start.