Author Topic: Bad vibrations  (Read 2034 times)

welder2000

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Bad vibrations
« on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:46:06 PM »
OK so here's the deal I installed the full whammy Marlin 4" lift on my 83, the whole nine yards dual cases, bud built crossmember, I took my front drive line and had it maid up for the rear. It looks and drives bitchin, with one exception a vibration at 65 mph. I've had this D-line rebalanced 3 times they cant find a problem, so I took it to another shop rebalanced no change. Next I bought a set of axle spring perches and rotated the rear up, t-case 5* \ D-line 15* and axle flange 10* should be perfect right, I'm not that lucky. My next step was to have Marlin himself have a look, he says the angles are perfect and the CV doesn't feel bad. He suggested dropping the crossmember and spacing it with a 2x4 put some longer bolts in and take it for a spin, it should get better, well it didn't it got worse. So then he says I'm building some late model hi-angle CV's and he gave  me and another slip and said here have another D-line maid and report back :yikes:. Well I did and it didn't change. So back to Marlin I go we go over everything agen, checking motor mounts and then we notice my T-case is making contact with the crossmember and he tells me I have the wrong mounts, now he gives two good used one's and to clearance the hole in the plate where the drain plug is. Well I did all that still no better and I've had the tires rotated and balanced twice and checked for flaws. He is going to take it for a drive Monday after it quits raining. Well thats my sad story anybody have any suggestions, please. :help:
83 toy Clovis, CA

welder2000 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Re: Bad vibrations
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
All th lookers and nothing to say?
83 toy Clovis, CA

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2007, 01:48:09 PM »
All th lookers and nothing to say?
uhhhh, if marlin cant fix it, cant nobody fix it? :dunno: sounds mysterious
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2007, 06:45:37 PM »
 :roflsign: :imwithstupid:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

ozyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I am having a similar problem with my rear tailshaft vibrating when i back off at speed.
Sounds like the transfers are rattling badly.
Have been told the uni joint angles are too steep.
Tried to decrease the angle on the shaft [ 15* ] tried rotating the rear diff pinion angle around to see if the vibration goes but it's still there.
The early hilux uni's are a lot smaller than later models, what is your rear uni?
Is the pinion pointing at the transfer?
Mine is going in to get the balance checked, if it's good i will have to go a double cardan joint.

cheers
Matt