Author Topic: How to keep it cool?  (Read 1531 times)

BEATUPYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
How to keep it cool?
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
ive got an 844 toyota and when driving up in the hills it gets hot and im on the gravel road so usually i shut it off and let it cool what could be the cause of this fluids are all topped water pump works the only thought ive had is its got a air conditioning radiatior in the front and i dont have a pump i thought if i took that out it might give it some more air any idea why it might be running hot? truck is all stock
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Abuse

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep it cool?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:59:27 PM »
We need to look into some things first of all. 

How good is the t-stat?
Is the clutch fan locking up?  (at temp, you shouldn't be able to move it at all, cold should spin freely)
What condition is the radiator?  Plugged, coolant been changed out?
Or it could be the water pump..

Need to do some checking and let us know what you've found out.

Generally, if the rig runs fine at hwy speeds, but at slower speeds, hot.  I'd look towards the fan clutch.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:31:30 PM »
its more than likely ur fan clutch but like cheesemaker said we need more info to help  let it cool start up with the rad cap off as it warms up you should see coolant flowng if you dont pull the belt off your water pump ancheck it and check ur tstat if you got good flow then its almost definantly the fan
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 994
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
I had this problem on another vehicle and it turned out that the radiator had sediment in the bottom of it.  Basically allowing only part of the radiator to actually be useful.  I was told that it can be fixed/cleaned, but it was only $55 for a new one, so I just replaced it and haven't had a problem since.
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Custom rear frame and flatbed
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64521.0

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
yes, pull the cap off and start it up, keep an eye on the coolant as the engine warms it should start visibly start moving (my coolant runs like a raging river when the thermostat finally opens)   i would also drill a 1/8 inch hole in the thermostat so air doesnt get trapped under it and cause it to overshoot before it opens.

Is the radiator new??  Have you ever put any kind of stop leak in the radiator??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:42:57 PM »
well stated glen i did the hole in the tstat trick when i put my new motor together hope it helps with the air lock
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

BEATUPYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:21:57 PM »
well the fans good and works fine coolant was low so we added more but havnt changed it i was loooking at getting a v6 radiatior? more liquidd equals coolor vehicle right? and maybe some electric fans for when we play on the trials cause a used raiator is fairly cheap
Turning
Over after
Years
Of
Trail
Abuse

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
more liquid aint gonna cool it any better if your water pump aint workn or ur t stat isnt opening and dont waste ur time with a used rad u cant tell if its had stop leak or what not jus get a new one if thats yr problem but check your waternpump and t stat a good was to check ur t stat is place it in a pan of water then boil the water youll be able to see it open once the water boils...you def dont wanna keep over heatn that motor or ur gonna have major problems warped head hg and over time berings