Author Topic: 4Runner Ignition Problems  (Read 1800 times)

JCook5003

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
4Runner Ignition Problems
« on: Aug 20, 2009, 09:38:28 AM »
Hey Guys-

I'm completley stumped, after swapping a new motor into my 89 4Runner (3VZE). I have no spark.

I've done the FSM tests and all the contacts in the distributor check out good, then I check voltage up to the igniter(ignition control module) and I have 12V, then I check voltage at the coil and I have 12V between hot side on the coil and the negative battery terminal. I pulled the coil and cleaned the bracket that I guess acts as it's ground to the fenderwell.

Seems like if I have voltage at the coil and no spark it could only be a bad ignition module, which I hope it isnt since they run $350 new.

Does anyone know another way to check the module to see if its bad before I go hunt a used one down to buy?

Also is it possible this could be a grounding issue? How would I know? I have a ground from the manifold to the firewall, exhaust manifold to the fenderwell, and the battery negative is grounded to the frame, is it possible I am missing a ground or have a bad ground connection, also how would I check that short of just pulling them all and cleaning them? The two small manifold ground wires are the only engine grounds should the battery negative cable be attached to the block? Could this cause a no spark condition?

Thanks
Josh

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Re: 4Runner Ignition Problems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »
there should be a ground cable that attatches to the bolt that actually holds the ignitor on the coil down.  make sure it is attatched. also check the connectors that plug into the ignitor and coild and make sure they are clean and that they are getting a good connection. other than that, i'm not really sure.  i had the same problem with mine, but it was the coil and ignitor gone bad(don't know why they both went at the same time).  i also have a jacobs OMNISPARK that i'll have up for sale if your interested.  keep posted. 
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

JCook5003 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2009, 03:38:40 AM »
Cables are clean, ground is attached.

My coil checked bad initially so I replaced it, maybe it's not uncommon for them both to go out.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »
i guess not. both were bad on mine, and i've heard of other people having both go at the same time also. 
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »
sorry to bump an old thread, but could this be a common problem on say an 83 toyota with the 4 banger?

my truck runs like it has an unconstant spark, even after the voltage regulator, alternator, charging system wiring have been replaced and battery stays charged  :dunno:
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:58:41 PM »
sorry to bump an old thread, but could this be a common problem on say an 83 toyota with the 4 banger?

my truck runs like it has an unconstant spark, even after the voltage regulator, alternator, charging system wiring have been replaced and battery stays charged  :dunno:
sounds like you might have a distributor problem.  take the cap off and clean the inside of the distrubutor up real good.  let me know if you need one.  i've got a few laying around.
ABD Motorsports

KK6QDW

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »
i thought the same thing, either distributor or something in my ignition  :snare:
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!