Author Topic: help! axle and harness q's  (Read 1857 times)

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
help! axle and harness q's
« on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
so i picked up a ifs rear end out of a 87 or 88 runner and it needs a little cleaning. has some surface rust and what not. my question is i need help on some tips to clean it up and paint it with a few coats of black before the install? what have others done. please share your experiences.

also my 22re was swapped in my 81 by the po but never finished it then he sold it to me. i got it running. the wiring was badly done which is why it wasnt running. i repaired what was needed to get it running and it starts everytime but i wouldn't go take it through a water crossing or anything. are there aftermarket harnesses for these engines? or should i just take the time to repair the wiring? or get another toyota harness and redo it? again please share what you would do and your experiences. i want this to be a reliable trail/camping rig and back up vehicle if the dd breaks down.

thanks in advance.
81 swb 22re 35's

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: help! axle and harness q's
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »
Sounds like you git it running.  I'd just go through and make all the connections good, and eliminate what isn't needed.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:32:23 PM »
I'd source another harness and just do it yourself the right way.  They're spendy, but 3m makes some butt splices that have heat shrink on them already, though I've had trouble crimping them without breaking open the sheathing.

POR15.  Clean off the flaky rust and all contaminates, spray it on and forget it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

hammer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:21:45 PM »
lc engineering simple digital systems stand alone fuel management system. use this to replace most of the engine room harness. i think its like 1300$
Or just silicone the hell out of every splice and connection. leave nothing open to the atmosphere.
When i rebuilt my axle i got a knotted wire brush for my 4-1/2 angle grinder. It will rip the rust off like crazy
Also use a bare metal primer before the paint.  will last much longer.
The Toyota recalls are  conspiracies created by the government to protect and promote their investments (GM and Chrysler).
Im not joking

81yotalove [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »
i found offroadsolutions.com and they have one for 570 i think it is. im not sure what im going to do. it runs so im not to worried about it at the moment just trying to figure out what to do when the time comes.

and im going to check out that por 15 stuff. i've heard of that stuff.
81 swb 22re 35's

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
um i thought ORS went bankrupt???
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2010, 01:26:01 PM »
:yesnod:  Closed at least, says they closed over a year ago in big bold print on their main page, followed by:

ANNOUNCEMENT
12-19-08

As of 12-18-08 the Off Road Solutions facility, located at 6340 W. 56th Ave. #10 in Arvada Colorado, is closed permanently. We are finishing and will deliver every standing parts order. After the 18th this website will remain online for access to technical information. Also, please periodically check the website as some of ORS’s unique product lines will soon be available through another outlet
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

81yotalove [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
my bad didnt see that. it was after work when i saw that lol. well i guess im just going to get another harness and modify it to what i need.
81 swb 22re 35's

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
It's always good to have spare harness's.  I got one, and I had to use it on my rig when I installed my motor.  Matter of fact I made the harness even better.  The 22RTE had the wires to the coil coming from the EFI harness, and not the body harness on the drivers side like in the 22R/RE's.  But it ran across the hot turbo, and the wires were fried.  So, I spliced in the factory wires from my spare harness, and routed it up along the firewall, around the booster, to the coil.  And I used the matching set of wires, so the color coding was correct.  That and alot of the plastic clips and plugs are brittle from 20+ years of heat from the engine.  So, they tend to break.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

81yotalove [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:37:43 PM »
yeah when i get some extra money i'll be looking for a harness or two lol. thanks for all the imput i appreciate it.
81 swb 22re 35's