Author Topic: I want to build a square front and rear drive shaft!!!!!  (Read 4396 times)

AZ 4X4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Aug '08
  • My BA Truck
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I want to build a square front and rear drive shaft!!!!!
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 04:25:27 AM »
I need to know what size piece of square tubing to use and how to get them as good and balanced as possible.
Kristopher A Donath

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
It's usually 2".     One 2" OD, the other 2" ID.    Same size as for towing receiver tubes.

Not sure the fit is good enough for the rear.     It's fine for going slow for the front.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

ElkoToy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Like said in the post above you want to use receiver tubing it is seamless witch allows the tubes to fit together tight. I have only know one person try it on the rear it was in a jeep with a small block in it and it vibrated so bad it took out the pinion bearings in under a week.

AZ 4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
  • My BA Truck
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
That is very good to know. I guess I will only go with the front shaft. Is there any kind of protection for a rear drive shaft? Thanks for the info.
Kristopher A Donath

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I would not run a square rear driveline. Heard people doing it on trail only rigs, but definitely don't do it on the street. Spend the money on a balanced professional rear driveline if you want to drive it on the street at all.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
there it no such thing as balancing a square drive line. if you make one for the front it will be strong/cheap/simple but will make some noise. as far as wanting something for the rear that's bulletproof...schedule 40 3" tube, it cant be balanced 100% but if you are careful and know what your doing when you make one, it should be balanced enough to run at high speed without much vibration. it will be about 30$ worth of material for the rear and i think around 45$ for the front material (if you make the front out of receiver tube).

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
if you were closer i'd give you my bottom half so all you would need is the receiver tube. and a cv

once you have one you will only think of ways to replace it.

they are hard on your transfer case seals and they are miserable driving in the snow.     but they get you by    mine was in my truck for 3 years

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Unless you want a driveline that clicks all the time and has lots of slop and is a heavy sob go ahead and use 2" and 2.5".  If you want one that fits very snug and is a bit lighter yet still bomb proof use 2x.25 for the outer and 1.5x.25 for the inner and grind a space for the seam in the 1.5".  Been beating on my square shaft for years not a single issue and it isn't so fawking annoying to listen to. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

AZ 4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
  • My BA Truck
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I think I know what you are talking about, but I can't picture it. Could you send a pic of the drive shaft.
Kristopher A Donath