Author Topic: need some info for pipe/tube  (Read 2324 times)

slower

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jan '10
  • EERRRR!!
    • View Profile
need some info for pipe/tube
« on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »
 well as some members already know I'm new hear. and just need some basic info on well every thing.
 - the first thing what is the difference in tube and pipe?
 - the second different types? i hear everyone talking about DOM and would love to use DOM but i checked the prices on that stuff and i would have to rob a bank to be able to afford my plans.
 - and last but not least i have all the necessary tool other than a bender, so the pros and cons and things to look for good or bad that i should look for before i buy one
never once have i ever wanted to see the reduce speed ahead sign so bad

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
Re: need some info for pipe/tube
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »
geesh opening up a can of worms here lol....other than the massive amount of info you can find on the net, here is my shot at explaining

first off ....pipe is for poop.... maybe a non load bearing (decorative even) bumper lol.... pipe is measured by inside diameter also. ment to carry fluids, gasses, etc, consistent ID..

Tubing is measured by outside diameter and wall thickness consistent OD, say 1-3/4 x .120 wall... which would measure 1-3/4 outside and 1-1/2 inside.(overall diameter - wall thickness{x2}) hope i confused you..  Pretty much everything such as bumpers, sliders, event the roll cage can be made of HREW tubing (hot rolled electric welded).  Its cheaper than DOM (drawn over mandrel)...

Now if your looking to make steering, links, or anything that you need to thread the inside of... DOM is usually the way to go ( you could also get threaded plug to put into HREW but the fit usually isnt the best....

Also when it comes to chrome-moly it is not lighter but is stronger comparatively, most sanctioning bodies say that you can use thinner wall thickness which in turn would make it lighter. and because of the nature of the metal if you damage a section it will be easily replaceable compared to regular tubing which would prob require more material be replaced....

Then you get into benders, harbor freight DOES NOT make a tubing bender lol... if you want a good entry level tubing bender get a JD2 model 3 manual bender, or something like the tj diesel performance hydraulic bender......

im sure im forgetting something, but thats what i do... and anyone can feel free to argue any of my points, i may or may not have all my ducks in a row lol.....

here is something i got off my local site, might help more than my babbling

HREW is a 1010 steel, DOM is 1020. The 10 and 20 represent the amount of Carbon in the steel. The higher carbon
content make the steel much stronger. Yield strength on 1010 is around 45,000 psi and DOM is around 70,000 and 4130 is around 90,000. So you can see the strength difference. Also, DOM is "work-hardened" or forged if you will. The Steel itself becomes denser and the surface tougher.

DOM is a process and means "drawn over mandrel". Typically you use DOM when you require precise thicknesses in the ID, OD or wall thickness of a tube. Hydraulic applications come to mind. It is not seamless but is made from sheet steel, rolled and electric resistance welded and finally, DOM'ed. DOM is a cold process. Most typically it is made from low to medium carbon steel. Often a low carbon steel application is preferred because of it's ability to be formed easily. The higher the carbon content, the harder it
becomes to bend. Typical tensile strength of DOM tubing is in the 60-75000 range although some increase can be gained with a 1040 steel base rather than the more common 1020. 4130 Tubing is often referred to as "Chrome Moly" tubing. This jargon term is derived from the chromium and molybdenum concentrations present in the metal itself, which run in the area of .80-1.10 for Chromium and .15-.25 for Molybdenum. typical tensile strength for this material is 95000 - 110000 PSI however it can range as high as 225000 by heat treatment. It is good to
remember that the higher the tensile strength, the more brittle a metal becomes so you need to find a balance. A good balance for 4130 would be somewhere in the 145000-15000 PSI range.

all that being said, if you go to another site (PBB) perhaps, there is a very "spirited" conversation/argument with people that have used heavy duty structural pipe for everything, even rollcages...... so      yea    Im sticking with HREW thank you very much
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010, 10:24:40 PM by bleakhorizon »
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:47:08 PM »
There is nothing wrong with making a cage or bumper from hrew. The strength comes in the design of the cage or bumper. Another thing is quality welds. Learn to make 100% perfect welds, and learn how prep the material. bevel edges, open corner joints, and if needed preheat.  Pro tools will give you free plans for a bender. The die is what is going to cost the most when making it. I have not made one, but Im thinking about it. All of my bumpers and cargo rack is made from square tubing. Its stronger then round and easier to work with in my opinion.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »
square tubing. Its stronger then round and easier to work with in my opinion.

im not 100% sure about that but im sure that its plenty strong for what your using it for...  round resists crushing WAY better and also has better torsional load holding capabilities.... on that note, im using square tubing on my sliders and bumpers also, but i wouldn't use it for a roll-cage....

AND remember strength in roll-cage design is in TRIANGULATION.....
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »
Round does not resist crushing better then square tubing. Square is much much stronger then round.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?