Author Topic: tube doors, made out of pipe?  (Read 13867 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: tube doors, made out of pipe?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 11:03:05 AM »
why not buy a net (tailgate type) and cut it in half, just use that?

That actually isnt a bad Idea, I like it :thumbs: I might have to look into that.  Mabye I'll just hook a chain across the doorway, like they do on carnival rides :hahaha:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2005, 11:10:49 AM »
it is kind of like a carnival ride,,,only better,, :yupyup:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2005, 12:57:11 PM »
20' of tubbing, not DOM = $40

Harbor Freight pipe bender (which will do the work you want to do) $100 - refundable when you take the bender back.

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 01:18:58 PM »

Harbor Freight pipe bender (which will do the work you want to do) $100 - refundable when you take the bender back.

Problem wasn't the bending, it was the lack of welder, and welding skillz, nunchuk skillz, bow hunting skillz...
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 01:30:07 PM »
Go to your local High School, and pay a kid to weld them up for you. 10 bucks, or a snickers.

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2005, 01:36:22 PM »
Hey Black dog   If you want , I will bend you some tube let me know the dimensions you want  Lynn

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2005, 01:47:02 PM »
Hey Black dog   If you want , I will bend you some tube let me know the dimensions you want  Lynn

Appreciate it  Rockdiver, If I do go that route, I'll let you know :thumbs:  I'd like to do half doors, If I can find some, if not, I'll explore my options, including my water pipe mightmares :hahaha:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2005, 03:04:19 PM »
Actually, learing some of these suggestions gave me some new ideas :headscratch:  :idea: I might just have to go play a litle bit with some stuff this weekend.  :yupyup:

-Ronald Reagan

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2005, 04:23:55 PM »
Go to your local High School, and pay a kid to weld them up for you. 10 bucks, or a snickers.

OK two things: i wouldn't weld :pokinit: up for $10 and im one of those highschool kids in a shop class you're talking about.  and number two, what good does hrew tubing do if you have a pipe bender. 
in the projects nooga, anything goes

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2005, 10:02:30 PM »
Didn't mean to offend To The Floor, your the exception. I didn't mean that high school kids can not weld, I meant that most high schools are well equipped, and that you could find someone who needs a projects to do at school.

I'm not here to offend anyone, and if I did offend you To The Floor, I'm sorry. Just trying to offer some suggestions to those who do not have access to the proper tools.

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2005, 01:23:17 AM »
OK two things: i wouldn't weld :pokinit: up for $10 and im one of those highschool kids in a shop class you're talking about. and number two, what good does hrew tubing do if you have a pipe bender.

im not in highschool but at my college people bring stuff into us to weld all the time. last week i welded up 2 kids go-karts. some times they throw a few bucks at us, but it doesnt hurt to  do something for someone else. what would it hurt you to do some work for some one if they brought it into the highschool, its not like youre even using your own equipment or wasting your spare time. your not there to get paid your there to develope your skills. you are way to stingy when it comes to giving someone else a hand. with your tube bender that easier to understand charging a few bucks cause it an expensive piece of equipment and it takes some work, but doing a few welds, is it really going to kill ya? most highschool kids or would gladly do it and not give it a second thought. you're obviously better than everyone else i guess
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2005, 04:35:38 AM »
Hay Blackdog, check out what KYOTA did with a harbor freight pip bender

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2993.30

reply 358

84toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Sep '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2005, 10:00:24 AM »
 I built mine out of 2x2 square tube,pretty thin wall but turned out great.To hold them in place when I capped off the top I drilled a hole and run a pin through the latch deal that's bolted onto the cab(where the original door latch's to).
84 extcab frame-87 runner body-dualcases-lincoln locked f/r 4:10s-worn out bockshot's

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2005, 10:10:07 AM »
I built mine out of 2x2 square tube,pretty thin wall but turned out great.To hold them in place when I capped off the top I drilled a hole and run a pin through the latch deal that's bolted onto the cab(where the original door latch's to).

That looks cool, you don't need a thick wall to hold your  :moon: in the truck, I'm still waiting to see the pipe door and am wondering if it will have running water. (sorry in advance)
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2005, 04:30:33 PM »
Those will do the job 84toy  :thumbs:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2005, 04:59:01 PM »
That looks cool, you don't need a thick wall to hold your  :moon: in the truck, I'm still waiting to see the pipe door and am wondering if it will have running water. (sorry in advance)

HOT running water mind you :nonono:  I've got a few ideas in my mind, the pipe door idea may have gone out the window, but we will see.  IT will still be slightly unusual :yupyup:

:psss: it wont be PVC I promise

-Ronald Reagan

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2005, 11:29:03 PM »
im not in highschool but at my college people bring stuff into us to weld all the time. last week i welded up 2 kids go-karts. some times they throw a few bucks at us, but it doesnt hurt to  do something for someone else. what would it hurt you to do some work for some one if they brought it into the highschool, its not like youre even using your own equipment or wasting your spare time. your not there to get paid your there to develope your skills. you are way to stingy when it comes to giving someone else a hand. with your tube bender that easier to understand charging a few bucks cause it an expensive piece of equipment and it takes some work, but doing a few welds, is it really going to kill ya? most highschool kids or would gladly do it and not give it a second thought. you're obviously better than everyone else i guess
i am confident in my fabrication skills, and i work hard for my money.  if i had someone do some work for me i would expect to pay them because their time is money, as well as mine.  i understand the point you're getting at, and when i was just learning, i would've done it for free just for practice, and that would've been earlier in the year.  but i am 2 weeks away from graduating and getting out into the real world, time is money to a person in that situation.  but i won't be in highschool much longer and if someone asks me to weld something for them with my own welder at home, it's going to cost.  because electricity, gas, wire, wear and tear on equipment, let alone equipment itself is not free.  you can argue with me but i am just thinking like a smart business man, and i think it will make me much more successful in life.
in the projects nooga, anything goes

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2005, 12:16:28 AM »
:psss: it wont be PVC I promise

I don't think it would pass city code with PVC.  :hahaha:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2005, 10:56:34 AM »
Alright, did some scoping at OSH last night, and I know what I am gonna do.  I am not going to go with the galvanized pipe idea, but somethign else that will be a lot cheaper.  My rough estimate last night was $20 for both doors!!  We'll see how this turns out :crossed:

-Ronald Reagan

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2005, 01:34:33 PM »
 :reg:
Cought it up, what is your brilliant idea??
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2005, 01:35:46 PM »
nah, you'll have to wait and see.  but fortunately for you, not too long :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2005, 01:44:18 PM »
 :mad:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2005, 01:47:48 PM »
:mad:

:therethere:  you'll approve of these more than the pipe doors.  and if you dont :dunno: oh well

:hahaha:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jun 06, 2005, 02:14:33 PM »
Alright, pics are now up in My 91 in the rig gallery, let me know what you think :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jun 06, 2005, 06:32:18 PM »
to the floor,,,hrew and a pipe bender would work if you pack the tube with sand..Its a pain in the ass,,and takes short of forever,,but it does work..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jun 07, 2005, 07:50:07 AM »
to the floor,,,hrew and a pipe bender would work if you pack the tube with sand..Its a pain in the ass,,and takes short of forever,,but it does work..
yea....just like this:
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.