Author Topic: YotaJosh's 82-79 build - Holdin' steady.  (Read 57227 times)

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
you could just get a speedo cable for a second gen truck

Jason was telling me last night he found a place in Benton that sold tractor parts , he got a 1 inch square shaft there, :dunno:  i'll try and get some pics

The ext. from Jordan will be easier.

It was probably Tractor Supply Co.  :idea: I bet Atwoods has them too.
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:thumbs: that was it :yesnod:

he has that 4.3 and 700R4 so the stock shaft is too fat, keeps hitting the side of the tranny
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
If you're talking about agricultural square, please don't do that. Mine rattles like a toddler toy and has too much slop. That's even with me putting it on a lathe to make sure it was centered.

You did the right thing - time, money, and satisfaction wise - by going with the All-Pro kit. If I were to do it all over again, I'd go with the All-Pro kit or even better the Dave'z Offroad kit. I know I've said it before, so you get my drift.

And that's coming from Trail Crawler Jordan, not Web Wheeler Jordan  :yupyup:   WW Jordan sucks....  :rofl2:

EDIT: Your welder will be plenty. Web Wheeler Jordan really wanted the HH187, but the HH140 would've been fine. You like it? Gotten to use it much? Flux core sucks...  :tantrum:

YotaJosh [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Yeah, I like it alot. I'm using .24 wire with 75/25 mix. I welded my spring hanger up with it, and I feel better about those welds than any welds I've done with my HF welder, or rental Lincolns from Home Depot.

Flux core isn't bad, once you get in a habit of using it properly. I'll probably throw the .30 in that came with it, and weld up some recovery points made from a tractor drawbar, like this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713396
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Flux core isn't bad, once you get in a habit of using it properly. I'll probably throw the .30[/url]

Do you not have a tank yet? Flux core is okay, but clean up sucks. If I wanted flux, I'd stick with an Arc welder.

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
Hey am planing on doing the same with mine, but I allready bobbed my fram at the shackle hangers, you thinks I would be fine just running longer shackles?
Update time again.

I'm finished with my F150 swap. I ended up moving the front hangers 4.5 inches forward of stock, and the rear hangers 3 inches back from stock. I'm also running the 4+Overload configuration instead of the 3+Overload I was thinking about running.

I've wheeled it one weekend, but never flexed it, nor took any pictures. I was too busy tearing up the trails! Those that followed me said that it flexed great. There might be some video of them in action one day if the person with the camera will ever upload the footage. :crossed:

Here's how she sits now:

YotaJosh [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Hey am planing on doing the same with mine, but I allready bobbed my fram at the shackle hangers, you thinks I would be fine just running longer shackles?

Nope. Your shackles will be parallel and flat against the frame. You can either run the springs reversed, or make some shackle hangers like the rear of the MC F-Toy.
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Dang, lookin good... I think the pit bull tires tie it all in together.  looks super aggressive and the suspension looks great. 

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Josh, tell these peeps about your "new" tires  :psss:

TakeOver in less than 5 days!!!  :willynilly:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Hey did you ever get that upright mounted?
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

YotaJosh [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
We'll just to update things...

-Dual cases are in, along with the FROR xmember.
-I'm running a 22R carb on the 20R. That helped things on the hwy alot.

And...

Josh, tell these peeps about your "new" tires  :psss:

TakeOver in less than 5 days!!!  :willynilly:

I traded the 33" Rockers for a 8274 winch. Got some used 36" IROK's for cheap. The Rockers are better (at least in my neck of the woods), but they just weren't big enough. I'll get bigger ones one day.

Hey did you ever get that upright mounted?

Nope. I waiting until you get your junk done and after Takeover, and then I'll probably pester you about a bumper. :)
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
:popcorn:  so you gonna get a FaberFab bumper ??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Josh, I believe you have an update  :biggthumpup:

Also, did you say that you took a hole saw to the F150 springs and used Toyota bushings in their place?

Hope your high school reunion is a good time this weekend!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
High School ???

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
From ARTTORA:   "Well I might be out. HS 10 year reunion is Sept 25th. I was worried it was going to be the weekend of the Crawl."

YotaJosh [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Josh, I believe you have an update  :biggthumpup:

Also, did you say that you took a hole saw to the F150 springs and used Toyota bushings in their place?

Yep, finally got some more weight added to the truck. More on that in a minute.

On the factory Ford bushings, I drilled them out with a 1" hole saw. Stay as centered as possible (and try not to ruin the thin metal sleeve in there) and the Toyota bushings will fit perfect.  :thumbs:

I acquired an 8274 upright winch a few months ago. I debated on selling it or trading it to get a laydown style winch so building a bumper would be easier. Knowing that the 8274 is one of the best winches ever, I had a hard time parting with it, so now I have a bumper to hold it on the truck. Custom fabbed by gittinit and myself (he did all the hard work.  :yesnod: ).

We built it out of 1 3/4" .120 wall HREW, and a little bit of 1/4" plate. We recessed the winch back next to the core support. All that needed notching is the grill.

I've still got a laundry list of things to do, such as cleanup (including my booger welds), cap the ends, make some blinker mounts, paint it, and wire the winch, and notch the grill.

Here's the blank canvas...

Bent up the main hoop on the first try. :D

Close up of the 1x3" box tube that was added to beef the front of the frame.

Many hours later, here's the finished product. The welds were still hot!

And here's how it sits now, with extra rust thanks to the wonderful weather we've had. :mad:

I need to clearance the bottom of that vertical brace that tied the hood latch to the lower core support. It's going to be in the way of the winch rope.

Top bolts are sleeved. Fairlead is protected by the tube.

The semi-hidden side support tubes.

All in all, it went pretty smooth. We only had to remake one support. I haven't decided which tool is better - the bender, the plasma, or the welder. :D:D

I also had enough tube to make a set of sliders, but time was short (and so was the supply of tube), so I didn't get the legs made, or them mounted on the truck.

'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: YotaJosh's 82-79 build - Holdin' steady.
« Reply #196 on: Sep 24, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »
looks great.    those are very good winches.
i love oregon wheelin.

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Sep 24, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »
On the factory Ford bushings, I drilled them out with a 1" hole saw. Stay as centered as possible (and try not to ruin the thin metal sleeve in there) and the Toyota bushings will fit perfect.  :thumbs:
Awesome! So, these will fit the normal spring bushings for a Toyota. Good to hear.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: Sep 24, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »
 :clap2:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Toyospearo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Sep 24, 2009, 08:09:14 PM »
GREAT LOOKING TRUCK!!
Nice work.
I love the bumper!

Trail-runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -39
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Sep 28, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »
Your trucks lookin' good.  I like the bumper. How's that rear end holding up?  I'm wishin' now I hadn't sold it.  I started working on my junk again, the lift is finished on the front. I'm starting on the back next weekend. 

Trail-runner

YotaJosh [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Sep 29, 2009, 09:08:46 AM »
Your trucks lookin' good.  I like the bumper. How's that rear end holding up?  I'm wishin' now I hadn't sold it.  I started working on my junk again, the lift is finished on the front. I'm starting on the back next weekend. 

Trail-runner

Rear end is fine. You'll find another one. They are a dime a dozen sometimes.

I was wondering if you still had your stuff since I hadn't seen you online in a while. Get it together and go wheelin!  :driving:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2