Author Topic: Need some help, broken up at partial to full throttle!  (Read 1622 times)

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Need some help, broken up at partial to full throttle!
« on: Sep 15, 2009, 10:54:27 AM »
Problem:  Truck runs good down low and idles great, more than half throttle and it cuts out for a second and then when it catches its all broken up.

Engine, brand new ATK longblock 22r

Carb, brand new Weber 32/36 on Offenhauser (SP?) intake with NO smog

Cam, stock as it came in the long block

Exhaust, LCE Header with 4' of pipe to a crappy Thrush muffler (until I get it into the exhaust shop, I want the truck QUIET)

Timing is set at 5 Degree's at idle and if I hit the throttle while watching with the timing light it shoots up to around 12 degree's so I know the advance is working.

Brand new NGK plugs and 8.5mm wires.

K&N Air filter

I was under the impression the carb would be pre set up for a stock 22r and I'm at sea level here in NC so I doubt elevation is a factor.  Anyone help me out here?  I know this little motor should run real good and I don't want to drive it around at 1/3 throttle all the time!  PLEASE HELP!!

Nate

****EDIT**** I just remembered I have not run a 12 volt source to the electric choke, I will do that in the morning as well.

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
its very likely your weber was NOT set up for a 22R because thats how it will act

if the choke doesnt make it then your going to need to pull the top off and see what size jets you have

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45126.0
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

YotaNate [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I pulled the top off and this is what I found Glen...

Primary = 140
Secondary = 150

I set the electric choke per the Weber instructions, I rotated the choke assembly until the "butterflies" were closed and then 1/8" more as per Weber.  Here is what I don't get.  The choke "butterflies" or whatever the hell you call them only open about 1/4" on their own even when the truck is warm after a 30 minute drive.  If I hit the throttle vacuum created by the sudden rush of air through the carb will open those "butterflies" a little more but I was under the impression if the truck was hot those things should be WIDE open?  Am I wrong here Glen? 
  Also the high idle never has worked.  When it's a cool 65 degree's or so in the morning I come down step on the throttle 1 time and turn the key.  The truck will start and barely idle, maybe 400 rpm or so.  No high idle, ever.  I must be missing something here, all I did was take this thing out of the box from LCE Performance and bolt it on. 

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I pulled the top off and this is what I found Glen...

Primary = 140
Secondary = 150

I set the electric choke per the Weber instructions, I rotated the choke assembly until the "butterflies" were closed and then 1/8" more as per Weber.  Here is what I don't get.  The choke "butterflies" or whatever the hell you call them only open about 1/4" on their own even when the truck is warm after a 30 minute drive.  If I hit the throttle vacuum created by the sudden rush of air through the carb will open those "butterflies" a little more but I was under the impression if the truck was hot those things should be WIDE open?  Am I wrong here Glen? 

ive always adjusted the choke COLD engine cold and choke cold

with everything COLD,  loosen the choke so that you can rotate it,  now  make absolute sure the choke mechanism is on the tab that moves the butterflies, so it will push and pull

rotate the choke so they are just barely touching and STOP  tighten the screws down

Also the high idle never has worked.  When it's a cool 65 degree's or so in the morning I come down step on the throttle 1 time and turn the key.  The truck will start and barely idle, maybe 400 rpm or so.  No high idle, ever.  I must be missing something here, all I did was take this thing out of the box from LCE Performance and bolt it on. 

Nate
ok,  on the throttle linkage on the side of the carb is a couple of set screws, well one is behind the choke electric thing, and the other is on the throttle shaft, the one on the choke (behind it) is the fast idle  you start the truck and as it warms up the cold engine will warm and as it warms it will slowly speed up,  this cold setting is where you need to finess the setting to what fits best

the adjustment on the throttle itself is your warm aka slow idle, this set with the motor and choke warm and toasty
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
this shows the idle adjustment that you should set when the engine is nice and warm

also, do the lean out procedure on the weber knowledge page