Author Topic: Please Help Me Ring and Pinion  (Read 2282 times)

lownlinked85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 408
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
Please Help Me Ring and Pinion
« on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
hey everyone i need help I took apart a differential to install an EZ locker and I ran into a problem in the process of putting it together the shims on the outside were taken off my buddy did it on accident so i need to know were gonna give setting them back up a shot I need to know what the Factory specs are to set up the ring and pinion the backlash if im correct and is there and easy way to do this we got the feeler gauges to figure it out we just need to know how to really do it and what the specs are.  :beer:
Low locked and ready to rock

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Re: Please Help Me Ring and Pinion
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:35:43 PM »
A little more info on what you are working on would help. What shims are you refering to?
If you see it, its for sale.

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »
I've never done it without a dial indicator.  I bought mine at a local tool dealer with the magnetic base for $25.  You'll want somewhere between .0051 and .0071 inches of backlash according to the FSM.  That is all you'll need to worry about since you didn't mess with the pinion at all I hope.  Set you carrier bearing preload to around 100 ft/lbs.  No need to worry about the pattern it'll be identical to what it was before.
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »
there are no shims in a toyota carrier. they are screw adjuster style.

lownlinked85 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:33:12 AM »
im working on a v6 third member and im refering to the round peices with all the holes on em those fell out because the little holder was taken off on accident so i need as much help as i can get to get this thing back together to isnstall it and wheel it

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »
the round pieces with the holes in them are your adjusting screws. They will be used to adjust backlash and gear pattern. Like Jake said you will need a dial indicator with a magnetic base to adjust your backlash.  Basically you will want to put your carrier and adjuster screws back in, snug up the caps that hold the adjusters in (be very careful not to cross thread the adjusters when you put the caps on).  Once everything is put back into the third you can then check your backlash with the dial indicator. If you need less backlash then you will loosen the adjuster to your right a couple turns and tighten the adjuster on the left the same amount. This will move the entire carrier closer to the pinion gear, thus giving you less backlash.  If you need more backlash do the opposite!  Once you have your backlash set to spec i would highly recommend checking your pattern with some yellow grease.  Your backlash may be right, but your pattern could not be that great.  If have not removed the pinion gear at all your pattern should be ok if the backlash is adjusted right, but i would still check it just to be sure.

http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/Technical_Help/Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf   this link should help you alot. It tells you all the specs for toyota 8" and how to do a complete setup
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
these are not shims they are basically big nuts as they are threaded

as long as you didnt disturbed the pinion you dont need to worry about gear pattern,  drop the carrier into the housing, holding the bearing races on the bearings,  (3rd should be pinion flange down like the pinion flange was bolted to the work bench)
now you will need to place these "nut/shims" on the outside of the beaings,  you must make sure the mesh with the threads so that you can rotate them when you install the caps

follow the directions posted above to get them tight, .005 is what i always go for

btw,  ive never used a dial indicator  just a "feel" for the backlash

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lownlinked85 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
ill still have to do it even though they are stock gears?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »
the backlash?? yes its very easy to do, i'm sure your friend can do this without a dial indicator :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
yes you still have to do it, and dont do your backlash by "feel"  unless you have a dial indicator installed in your elbow!  I dont care how long or how many times someone has set up gears, you cant just do it by feel, you will most likely end up with premature failure of the R+P, or gear whine becaue you didnt take the time to use a dial indicator and get the backlash exactly within specs.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »
i have also always done the backlash by hand. depending on if you know how it should feel or not its pretty much common sense. unless you have tons of hp or torque i wouldn't worry about having it exactly perfect.

but then again if you have no idea how it should feel then you probably should use a dial indicator.

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
i have also always done the backlash by hand. depending on if you know how it should feel or not its pretty much common sense. unless you have tons of hp or torque i wouldn't worry about having it exactly perfect.

but then again if you have no idea how it should feel then you probably should use a dial indicator.
i'm really not trying to turn this into a big argument or somethin, but do you and Glenn really think that just doing it by feel is fine?  Do the guys at MC setup all their professionaly built thirds with no dial indicator?  I doubt it!
97 4runner Limited

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
i understand what your saying but the same thing goes to say, how many people use fish scale pullers for trunnion bearing preload, or even check the tolerances when installing a locker. im not saying its professional, cuz obviously its not, but im just suggesting that in a scenario like this (being an already broken in gearset) if someone that's helping him knows anything about how a backlash should feel its most likely not gonna create a problem. unless they have no idea what it should look like or feel like, that's y i said if they don't then they better use an indicator.

lownlinked85 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:59:36 PM »
do they have dial indicators at harbor freight and should i buy one from there if they do and how do i use it? does anyone local in the fresno/madera area that could help with this situation we put it together as best as we can it feels ok but i just wanna double check and make sure everything is setup correctly with out charging me an arm and a leg

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2009, 10:40:47 PM »
Yes harbor freight sells them. You will need to get it with a magnetic base. As far as how. Read the FSM and it will tell you and show you how to test it.
If you see it, its for sale.

lownlinked85 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »
what is the FMS is that the instructions and will it be complicated to learn to use it and are those harbor friehgt ones any good reliable

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:20:13 PM »
just search on google or youtube. you'll find lots of info/videos on how to use one, its vary simple. if your gonna go to the extent of getting a dial indicator please don't get one at harbor freight haha kinda seems to defeat the purpose.

lownlinked85 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:23:58 PM »
ok then were is the best place to get one that wont break the tight enough pocket lol

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »
i think a harbor freight one will be good enough its not like you're opening a shop to setup diffs.  Getting a dial indicator is a GIANT leap over doing it by "feel".  Set the backlash to .006" and make a tool to set your carrier bearing preload.  I made one out of a piece of 1/4"x1.5" flat iron about 3.5" long.  Drill two 1/4" holes on each end so that they'll go in the holes of the adjuster ring, slide a 1/4" through.  Drill a 1/2" hole in the middle and put a 1/2 bolt there and weld the bottom of it.  Now you have a ring adjuster tool that you can now properly adjust you CBPL with.  If thats confusing as :pokinit: I'll try to snap a pic of the one I made tomorrow.
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

lownlinked85 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »
i think ive seen one made with the 2 1/4 in holes but whats the 1/2 inch hole in the mikddle for?

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:28:16 PM »
The 1/2" hole in the middle is for a 1/2" bolt to go through and weld it on the other side so you have something to put a socket on to torque it

thats 2.5" from center to center

lownlinked85 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Yeah Baby!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
oh snap the one i seen were the two 1/4" bolts and a long hadle but this setup is better for a touque wrench thanks for the picture im deffinatlyh gonna make one of these