Author Topic: tube for tire?  (Read 2830 times)

brandon95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 193
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
tube for tire?
« on: Aug 17, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »
ok i have some 38x14.5 r15 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips with 90% tread on one of my daily drivers, but one got a 3" vertical rip in the sidewall and was wondering if i can put a tube in it and just use them for off road on my wheelin rig?

can i safely tube a tubless tire?

if i did tube it wiuld it be safe for on road use?

thanks

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: tube for tire?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2008, 08:24:21 AM »
Yes you can safely put a tube in a tubeless tire, the problem will be that rip. It will be almost impossible to keep it closed enough so that it won't allow the tube to get in a get pinched.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Hawk Thor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2008, 01:55:59 PM »
Find a tire shop that services big rig and earth mower tires.

We rubberweld and patch tires all day long. Big rig, 1000lbs+ tires for earth mowers, 38" radials and bias plys and 46" micky thomsons are just a few I can remember from this month, not to mention all of the passenger car tires we have plugged and patched.

They might be able to weld up the tear and then you run a tube, or patch it to keep the tube from pinching.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2008, 09:27:19 PM »
What no warranty?  :dunno:

Yeah you can get it rubber welded, but I'd never run it. MAYBE, for a off-road spare tire only.  But I'd try to get it warrantied, and if not, toss it out.  I've seen rubber welded tires still fail. 

Is your life worth a $300 tire? 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

brandon95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 193
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2008, 12:13:05 AM »
im not sure if they where on warranty or not it has been like 3 years or so sence they wher bought, but the truck has been parked so they have really good tread on them still. Ill have to see about the warranty. but if it isnt ill look in too having it rubber welded and tubeing it then running it as a spare

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »
Rubber weld plus a tube - a good tube, mind you, like the ones they use for bead locks - that'll work just fine.  It really depends where the tear is, though - the shop will tell you if the tire is a write-off or not.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
considering all your tries have 90% on them, there would be nothing wrong with buying a new one, and running it with the 90% tires.......

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »
considering all your tries have 90% on them, there would be nothing wrong with buying a new one, and running it with the 90% tires.......

With that logic, there would be nothing wrong with you buying a brand new truck because yours is broken.  If there is a cheaper option, that will make the tire usable for a while, why not?  :dunno:

You can also try sewing the tear closed.  My grandfather had a tire on an old jeep he used for his property that he sewed up with parachute cord, and then siliconed the heck outta the inside, and ran a tube for a long time with it.  (He actually did it before I was born, and It was like that until he died when I was 7.  I remember it because I thought it was cool 'cause it looked like a football lacing)  Granted, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER use the tire on the road, or at high speed, but as a spare, sure.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2008, 09:06:41 AM »
Rubber weld plus a tube - a good tube, mind you, like the ones they use for bead locks - that'll work just fine.  It really depends where the tear is, though - the shop will tell you if the tire is a write-off or not.

Make sure you are at a tire shop that's not just interested in selling tires, they will tell you it is junk even if it isn't.

With that logic, there would be nothing wrong with you buying a brand new truck because yours is broken.  If there is a cheaper option, that will make the tire usable for a while, why not?  :dunno:

:haha:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

slickrock209

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jul '07
  • BRRaapppp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:49:13 AM »
Brannons Tire in stockton will do it for 30-50 bucks a tires. They fill the cut/tear with rubber patch the inside and heat the whole thing in a oven, and they come back looking like new ohh and no need for a tube too. Id run it on the street they said they usually fail with rock crawlers is the low tire pressue we run and all the stress were putting on the sidewallls.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »
my buddy had a PJ fixed like this as well. as far as i know its still bein beat offroad 4 years later
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11