Author Topic: Project RAMBUS  (Read 4888 times)

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Project RAMBUS
« Reply #31 on: Aug 31, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »
that thing is a heat stove, it jsut funnels radiated heat off the manifold to warm the intake charge
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sep 09, 2008, 01:44:47 PM »
Well I replaced all the radiator hoses and filled it up with water, none of the spark plugs looked out of the ordinary so I tried to fire it up to see if it would go, but nope. Seized up, won't even crank over. My dad is wanting me to rebuild it but I am trying to convince him that it is probably more or less going to take more time, and probably the same about of $$ to rebuild as replace it. Seeing as the beast already has close to 300,000 miles it seems really futile to rebuild it. Especially since its just a work truck, I would rather just swap it. That way over time I could rebuild the original 350 and turn it into a bad ass engine for down the road or even just keep it for parts. Just need to get the pregnant dog running again.

So I am looking to find a used 350 in the northern California area (Sacramento). I have found a couple but I have some time so I am going to shop around and not just impulsively buy the first good deal I find. I have found some really good deals in Reno but I am wary of Reno trucks because I don't want to end up with a huge smog fiasco after putting it in. Trying to find a CA engine. If anyone has any for sale please let me know. I am willing to travel a pretty good distance for a good engine. Thanks.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sep 09, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
As for smogging, don't worry, just find a running motor, and swap all the smog stuff over.

A buddy went and called on a ad for a 350 sbc years ago, and they wanted $500 for, and come hear it run.  Well, he got there, and handed out the $ and didn't hear it run.  It had over $2000 worth of Merlin heads on it!  :yikes: He estimates the motor is pushing 500 hp.  And the people who was selling it didn't know a screwdriver from a hammer!!  You can find a diamond in the rough out there!  Just takes patience.  Some times you'll have to buy a beat up running rig, but you'll have to look.  So, good luck!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sep 09, 2008, 02:54:57 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the smog stuff.  Its a lot easier to find smog stuff/work on smog stuff on domestic engines than it is our toyotas.  It's not as big of a hassle, in my experience.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sep 09, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the smog stuff.  Its a lot easier to find smog stuff/work on smog stuff on domestic engines than it is our toyotas.  It's not as big of a hassle, in my experience.

Yeah I was thinking about talking to you. I just remember when I was in the market for a yota, everyone told me to stay away from NV rigs because of smog. I wasn't sure if this was going to be a big problem with a chevy 350. I have found some good deals in the Reno area and I just didn't want to spend a bunch of money only to find I had to modify and change a bunch of stuff to get it to pass.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #37 on: Sep 09, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »
every time I see your thread I think of

yes, I am a nerd.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »
every time I see your thread I think of

yes, I am a nerd.

Haha thats how it got its name :gap:

My parents have invested in Rambus since like 1999 hence the license plate and nick name :greengrin:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #39 on: Sep 09, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »
never noticed the license plate. :outtahere:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 22, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »
:down:

Well I found out today that my parents sold the Rambus behind my back. I had been saving my money and even had an engine lined up.... so 12 years of dreaming of owning this truck are down the drain, my dad refused to give me extra month or so that it would have taken me to have the cash. I am pretty bummed out, I have wanted this truck since I was about 10 years old. Whats going to really hurt is when I see it driving around again, thats going to be the really shitty part.  :rivers:

So this project is officially over.  :(