Author Topic: 3RZ work for me? Newb needs some suggestions  (Read 1925 times)

bambbrose

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
3RZ work for me? Newb needs some suggestions
« on: Nov 06, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
Hi guys, great forum you have here.

Just found it last week while searching around for potential engine conversions for my truck.

I'm trying to find out what swaps are even possible given the following criteria and was hoping some of you can help.
My rig is a 1991 Pickup with stock 22RE and stock 5spd (W56?).  My motor is tired and I don't want to replace it with another underpowered unit, but my transmission and tcase are both in excellent condition.

Here are the criteria:

-No suspension or body lifts

-Must be a factory toyota engine

-No aftermarket performance modifications outside of intake/exhaust

-Stock IFS

-Comparable gas mileage to the 22RE (better is a plus)

-Ability to use 5th gear and tackle hills at 75mph

As you can see that's quite the order to fill.  In all truth all I really want is a truck that will get out of its own way.  My truck is so damn slow its frustrating to drive.  It's great on the trails right now but I have to drive hundreds of miles on the freeway to and from the areas where I ride

The 3RZ seemed like the perfect candidate for me, but I'm reading that the IFS will not work with this motor? 
If that is the case do I have any other options?

Swapping to solid axle is not an option for me.

I can tackle any wiring you throw at me, so that is not a concern.  I want the motor to be able to work with my factory transmission.

I've read quite a few writeups on the 7MGE and 7MGTE swaps. Can they be made to work with IFS?

This truck is a desert trail runner (I live in Southern Utah).  I do not crawl or take it on any crazy trails.

Any suggestions?  If there is a way to get the 3RZ to work with IFS I'd love to go that route.

Thanks for any help

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 121
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile

bambbrose [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
Re: 3RZ work for me? Newb needs some suggestions
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2008, 10:07:47 AM »
thanks for the link.  That was a great read.  Looking at his finished pictures, I can't help but wonder how little oil capacity he has.

Has anybody else looked into the t100 4WD oil pans yet?  Wouldn't they be the same as the stock 4WD 3RZ oil pan?  Anbody tried just throwing a stock 3RZ with 4WD oil pan in on an IFS vehicle?  It would make sense considering they are both IFS, but I don't know if there are fundamental differences between the tacoma IFS and the IFS on my 91 pickup.

Any other input?

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2008, 10:28:42 AM »
You need to re read the link, that is the T100 pan he cut up. The Tacoma 4wd uses a front sump, only the T100 pan is rear sump, so the Taco pan will not work.

bambbrose [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2008, 10:35:26 AM »
Thanks for the info about the tacoma using front sump.

After reading it over again, I'm pretty sure he used a t100 2WD pan, not a t100 4WD.

I'm assuming the T100 4WD and the Taco pans are the same, and the T100 2WD is the rear sump unit?

The method he used looks decent, but just seems like he cut out a quart or two of oil capacity.  Maybe adding an oil cooler back into the mix to add capacity could help make up for it.

Does anybody know if the 7MGE swap work with IFS in any factory oil pan configurations?

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2008, 10:48:11 AM »
4.0 Lexus v8.... 1uzfe.. It will move!!!!

bambbrose [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »
I don't think my transmission would handle the 1uz very well lol.

I think I'm going to just keep my eyes out for a salvaged tacoma and go with the 3RZ.  I can fab up a new oil pan, I'll just make sure that it has enough room for a decent capacity.  I'll probably put some baffles in it as well to keep the oil in the right place on steep terrain.   I was hoping for something a bit more bolt on, but I can deal with a few minor issues.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »
A 22RE will also do what you want if you get a proper header on it and a less restricted exhaust.    Mine goes up 3-5% grades at 70mph and well, it's a no-brainer cost wise if I need to replace it.  If I need to get up a steep hill, 4th gear winds up to 4K rpm without even flinching.  Stock exhaust was a disaster and barely got me up to 45-50mph in 5th up steep hills.   

If you must get a new engine, I suggest a 2RZ.  Bit smaller, plenty of power, better gas mileage(28-30mpg highway with stock gears/tires!), and you can easily find replacement parts if it breaks.  Think of it as a 22RE's younger and fitter brother.  It'll pull stock gearing/tires up hills all day long.   The 2RZ will run fine with the stock exhaust, too, so that's a cost savings(complete exhaust setup on a 22RE is $500-$800 generally).  A 2RZ is a matter of a bit of fabbing and bolting it in place after stripping it off of the donor.

So in short - cheapest - 22RE with exhaust.  $1K more or so, 2RZ with stock exhaust.(note - if you strip the parts out of the donor, you can usually get most of the difference back)   It really is a question of whether the engine is dying or if it's that the stock manifold/exhaust is messed up and plugged up like mine was.   I got lucky and the engine was fine.  New exhaust was the least expensive option...
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2008, 05:48:21 PM by Plekto »

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:58:56 PM »
My rebuilt 22RE with 3.90's and 33's is about as nutty as my Taco with the 3RZ, 4.56's and 33's, and has more low end usable power. 

The RZ is a great engine and didn't let me down, ever, other than on the highway.  I've owned both, and I'd pick the 22RE over the RZ, honestly.  The 22RE can be made as powerful with minor mods (a head and cam, I consider bolt on), and the EFI system is much more simple.  Also... your truck is already wired for it.  With the RZ, you're looking at mounts, tranny and wiring.  For a 150 HP and 180 ft lbs, it's not worth it, because that's probably about what my 22RE is putting out with a lot less ass pain.