Author Topic: A simple spring question, maybe  (Read 2642 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
A simple spring question, maybe
« on: Nov 02, 2005, 10:42:31 PM »
I'm gettin tired of the ass end of my 91 2wd squattin if I so much as spit in the bed so I'm gonna add another leaf to help it cope.  It has the teflon pads in the ends of each spring so I'd like to find some that come that way too.  What I need is a single leaf about 48" end to end when it's curved, and it obviously needs to match the width.  Anybody know what trucks may have come with a leaf like I need, maybe a ranger, exploder, s-10, f150 or??  I'll probably be hittin a junk yard this weekend with a measuring tape and see, but if anybody has played with their spring packs and has an answer for me I'd appreciate it.  Also curious what kinda hardware people use to bolt the packs back together when they put together thicker spring packs than what they had, like a normal grade 5/8 bolt or??
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: A simple spring question, maybe
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2005, 11:33:24 PM »
Think Nissan for the add-a leaf and for the center pin I drill the perches out to 5/8" and use a standard 3/8" bolt to hold it all together.  That way the chances of not having a replacement center pin go down to zero if one breaks on the trail.   
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2005, 06:43:41 AM »
the s10 leafs i have work good,  almost identical in width and thickness to the toy springs but have more arch, i just used some toyota 12mm bolts in mine,  like tcase bolts
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2005, 03:28:58 PM »
What about a shackle?   :dunno:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2005, 07:04:53 PM »
Thought about a shackle, but I need to beef up the springs a little cause the po put a heavy snug top shell on it in 96 and they're a little sacked.  What's the length on the s-10 leaf?  What Nissan, hardbody, 720 or??  This truck won't see the trail, it's my main DD and parts getter, check my thread in the rigs section for the pics of my trucks.....and another guys :shake:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2005, 12:27:12 AM »
Springs from a 720 are almost exactly the same dimensions as the first and second gen rears.  Your rears are
22x29 1/2" center pin to ends and the nissan are 22 1/2x 25".  My old nissan flexed pretty decent and hauled a lot of weight with ease.  Worth checking into, I dont recall if they have the nylon pads or not but they are the same width as toyota. ;)

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2005, 08:25:31 PM »
You musta been lucky, my 720 didn't flex real well, but maybe I was focusing on the 3 inches of ground clearance that was further hindered by the absolutely horrible front suspension.  I still kinda wanna pick up another one just to put some toyota goodies under it. 
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2005, 09:03:24 PM »
So after searching the yards today I came up empty handed on a 47" long spring, and the closest I could find was on an xj but they're pretty flat.  I think I'm gonna just take the 91 rears I bought a while back, cut off the ends(with a little curve like the factory ones) and get some stock toyota teflon pads to put in em.  Atleast that way I'll have a soft full length support leaf, but just enough to keep it closer to level under a load, yet still have a decent ride.  Might as well do it right instead of in a hurry.  Rangers, s10s, f150s, all were too far off for what I wanted to do. 
RIP KYOTA

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2005, 09:14:04 PM »
Standard first and second gen rears are 47" eye to eye.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2005, 06:32:13 PM »
So I scored some stuff for this at the yard today.  Walked out with 14 ford teflon pads for $2!  I might just cut them in half since they have 2 pins in each pad.  Either way I should be fairly well set for doing the 91 2wd rears and all four on the 80 4by, depending on how many leafs I end up with on it.  Now I just need to try and find a drill bit that'll go through the leafs.
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2005, 06:57:36 PM »
if youve got a topper... run a procomp addaleaf... i have one and love it.... i have some pics of it if you want.. it was like $35 from summit
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2005, 07:10:55 PM »
So I scored some stuff for this at the yard today. Walked out with 14 ford teflon pads for $2! I might just cut them in half since they have 2 pins in each pad. Either way I should be fairly well set for doing the 91 2wd rears and all four on the 80 4by, depending on how many leafs I end up with on it. Now I just need to try and find a drill bit that'll go through the leafs.
titanium bullet bits

and the S10's   you just use the 2nd and 3rd leaf,  not the top leaf

the second leaf is the same length as the toy rears,  my S10 spring teflon sits right under my front hanger pin 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:14:31 PM »
Yea, I've been eyein the s10 and exploder leaves when I'm at the yard, but for now I'm tryin to stick with yota stuff.  If I'm not happy with my flex/lift when I'm done with these I'll probably pick up some of those springs and have at it.  Just tryin to work with what I've got right now.  My spares include 91 2wd rears, 87 2wd rears and 86 4wd rears with a downey add a leaf.  The 4 by springs should be pretty easy but the 91 is givin me trouble cause I'm havin trouble finding the right size spring to slap in there, short of cuttin my spare 91 main right at the ends.  Pnp says there are no more 1/2 price days this year, but if there are then I'm definately gonna run back in and get another 91 rear and cut the ends off so I have a full length support. 
RIP KYOTA