Author Topic: another spring question.  (Read 976 times)

Nevada Crawler

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
another spring question.
« on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:02:33 AM »
I just bought an 86 toy sas with 63 inch springs in the rear. I noticed the shackle angles on the rear were different so I checked the angle and the right side was 40 deg. and the left side was almost 50 deg. so I started measuring and saw that the spring hangers  are a half inch off from each other welded to the frame. approx. 14 inch's from stock location on the left side and 14.5 on the right. also the shackle mounts are welded a half inch off from each other too. Now this is my first chevy Toyota spring experience my question is if a person was going to weld new shackles and spring hangers wouldn't you want to weld them in the same exact spot on both sides?
Also 14 inch's is a little far from the stock spring hangers isn't it? or is it possible theat maybe the spring packs them selves are different in length and maybe who ever welded the hangers and shackle mounts on thought they could compensate the difference by welding them a half inch off on the frame.?   

Please help me here I am at a loss....

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: another spring question.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
I would assume that anyone trying to things right would at least target equal measurements for the mounts.  If the truck sits level and isn't a daily driver it may not make a practical difference for wheeling.

If you're planning to drive this thing on the road I would personally want things to be balance as I would expect it to be a potential safety issue with handling, especially in an emergency braking or rough road condition.

:twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Nevada Crawler [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »
Well its not going to be a daily driver but will be driven to the trail. At this point I think I have talked myself into cutting it all off and starting from scratch. This way I will at least know that everything is square and true..

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26778
  • Male Posts: 3,525
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »
what I did when I relocated mine, was took two bolts that fit snug with bushing in,welded a rod between the two once I figured my distance, at least if my measurement was off by a 1/16 of an inch, it would be equal on both sides :thumbs:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.