Author Topic: U-joint replaced.......vibration  (Read 2333 times)

spacoli

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
U-joint replaced.......vibration
« on: Sep 30, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »
I had a vibration only around 25 mph and when I had a load in the truck, I had no vibration. So I thought it had to be the older u-joint (replace one already two years ago).

I had the truck in for inspection and had the shop change the u-joint. It fixed the vibration at 25 mph, but now I have the faint vibration at higher speeds that I didn't have before. The vibration is typical rythmic sound that you hear when a u-joint is going bad.

Any thoughts or ideas what might be causing this? Bad u-joint, bad instalation? Thanks

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: U-joint replaced.......vibration
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2008, 06:29:04 PM »
I had a vibration only around 25 mph and when I had a load in the truck, I had no vibration. So I thought it had to be the older u-joint (replace one already two years ago).

.............. but now I have the faint vibration at higher speeds that I didn't have before. The vibration is typical rythmic sound that you hear when a u-joint is going bad.

Any thoughts or ideas what might be causing this? Bad u-joint, bad instalation? Thanks
probably the joint you replaced 2 years ago
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »
probably the joint you replaced 2 years ago

:dunno: how true it is, but I've always been told to replace both joints at once.  If one is going out, and you put a new one in, any stress is amplified to the older one, because it is more worn, and it kills it that much quicker, so its a vicious circle of swapping them out.  If you replace them at the same time, they deteriorate equally, and together last longer. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »
did the place jsut take the old one out and replace it? is it possible they made the shaft out of sync? have you had the driveshaft balanced?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »
or they didn't align the joints when they put the driveline back together (splines, ears)

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
or they didn't align the joints when they put the driveline back together (splines, ears)

yeah thats what i meant when i said its possible they made it out of sync

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »

yeah thats what i meant when i said its possible they made it out of sync

thats what i thought, just cleared it up a bit.  :)

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
thats what i thought, just cleared it up a bit.  :)

:thumbs: yup thanks for clarifying that.... haha, i re-read it after you posted and was like.... hmmmm maybe he didn't get what i was saying, haha, i barely got it, and i said it

~ John F. Kennedy ~

spacoli [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2008, 02:13:20 AM »
I'm guessing there must be some allignment markings??  I will have to check it out.

As for the older u-joint being bad, I had no vibration at higher speed at all before, so I ruled out the other u-joint.

thanks

spacoli [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
Yep, there was a white mark on the shaft and it was not lined up with the white mark on the yoke, I will have to un-bolt and line up.

The marks are almost 180* off.

Hopefully that is the problem.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2008, 06:25:37 PM »
i don't know of any marks on the shaft.  but the joints must be lined up, the ears of the shaft should look kinda like this   ]=====[  with each other.

spacoli [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2008, 02:19:15 AM »
I'm not sure, I know there are white paint marks on mine. I will check out my ears.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2008, 03:00:06 PM »
I'm not sure, I know there are white paint marks on mine. I will check out my ears.

It was prolly marked before the shop took it apart.  Of course, some people aren't smart enough to actually use the marks to put them back together.  Like Hyena said, as long as the ears are lined up, it doesn't really matter where the marks are.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Monster Yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Under my Welding Hood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »
This doesn't necessarily sound like your problem, but possibly the splines in on the driveline are a little worn, now the yoke has a little bit of play over the spines, this will cause vibration. On mine if I have the gas on it is perfectly smooth but if I let off to coast the yoke will start vibrating... which translates through the floor board, to the seats, to your behind, and the steering wheel....  :smack:   Its a simple fix, just need to find a good tight spline set, maby off a newer truck with low miles,,,, possibly off the front drive shaft since it would have less wear...   :yupyup:
MARLIN 4 PRESIDENT!

spacoli [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »
Just an update, I lined up the white marks, which lined up the "ears" and the slight vibration is gone. Thanks to all for all the input.