Author Topic: Mirrors. fixed w/pics!  (Read 3818 times)

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Mirrors. fixed w/pics!
« on: Jun 11, 2008, 02:49:25 PM »
So, I got these mirrors on my truck.

They are all busted up, and the only thing on the passenger side is the brackets that hold them to the door.  I've got stainless stock ones to replace with.  They are held on with bolts.  The question is, do they have a nut on the back inside the door?  Or are they threaded in?  I just don't want to tear into my door panels if I don't have to.  I've been known to ruin those little plastic inserts that door panels use to attach to doors. 

Please help!
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2008, 06:14:28 PM by cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Mirrors ??
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »
i say remove yours and find out :gap:

i know my stock mirrors are actually threaded into the doors themselves, liek a nut welded on in the back, but i have the regular mirrors and not the huge ones, i have seen several trucks with the huge ones look factory though, however yours look like someone might have just used some self tapping screws... :eek:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »
The top two screws look like machine screws, basically just screw in to the door metal. The bottom looks like a bolt that will either go in to a welded nut or a regular nut.

Best way to find out would be to start with the bottom, if that comes off good, then the top is no problem.
If the bottom just seems to spin, you gotta take off the panel.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2008, 02:58:26 PM »
looking @ it again, it looks liek there was once stock mirrors, those are actually threaded into the door and dont require a nut... but the bottom bolt, looks ghetto... so watch out for that....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  I'm running without mirrors, the driver side fell off!  I hated the small mirrors, and my nissan had the same style of mirrors and I love the larger mirrors.  Must be the truck driver in me!  :smack:

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:13:08 PM »
yo cheesy,  i have a set of  mirrors  like bigmike has,  they are big  purty and chrome,  i'll send them to you for some CHEESE
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »
The mirrors you have are stock as far as i can tell, cheesemaker. The mirror itself may not be stock, but the arm and stuff is. My friend's 84 has the exact same mirror setup using the exact same fasteners and everything. I may have a passenger side one if you want it. If you want pics of it, I can get you some, it is still attached to the door.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:22:51 PM »
The mirrors you have are stock as far as i can tell, cheesemaker. The mirror itself may not be stock, but the arm and stuff is. My friend's 84 has the exact same mirror setup using the exact same fasteners and everything. I may have a passenger side one if you want it. If you want pics of it, I can get you some, it is still attached to the door.

if you look @ his door, they are not stock, or are not what was originally on that truck... look @ the upper bolt holes, and you can see the original outline of the teardrop mirrors....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:26:23 PM »
not stock but a factory option :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »
not stock but a factory option :thumbs:

those mirrors are also on just about everything... they are very universal and will fit everything with a semiflat surface to mount

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:30:30 PM »
I might as well take some pics of them, they are factory or factory option as said above.

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
Thanks one and all, I have seen many factory toys with this same mount.  I have some that came off a toy and I was told that they were factory, because they came from the original owner.  The doors did have other mirrors, and I forgot about that.  So, I :smack: myself!  I have some stainless looking ones.  Just need the mirror heads, and I got a hook up on those.  I'm getting tired of trying to back up with a load on and have to lean out the door to see!  So, I got to get my ass a cracking.  I just love the bigger mirrors, I hated driving brother-in-laws truck with the little mirrors, just could see squat.

So, thanks.  I was just hoping I'd get lucky on some info, but I just need to tear into it. 

I'll post some pics later!

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2008, 03:11:35 PM »
I started to unbolt mine to paint them last weekend and after the first bolt I heard the plink of the nut hitting the bottom of the door.  Luckily (I guess) the PO had hacked huge holes for speakers so I pulled it and put that nut back on, went back inside and slept on the couch.

Homefries

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2008, 05:50:14 PM »
The first picture is a close-up of the nutcerts that are in the door for the stock mirror.  The second picture shows the same type of mirror that many of us have installed which on mine is not factory but the cheap replacement.  The third picture shows what used to be mounted on my truck.  My mirror that I have installed is just self tapping screws but like Mini said
Best way to find out would be to start with the bottom, if that comes off good, then the top is no problem.
If the bottom just seems to spin, you gotta take off the panel.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »
i might run some bigger mirrors when i get new doors....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 12, 2008, 08:00:53 PM »
i had those on my 1st gen and mine were nuts and bolts.. not threaded holes.

i got them off without having to go through the doorpanel just kep the tension on the bolt ... but i didnt any mirrors back on.

nuts are still in the door    :hammer:

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Re: Mirrors. fixed w/pics!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »
Alright, I got it done yesterday!  I got to say that toyota was very smart in alot of things when they designed their rigs.  I love how the door panels pop off without stripping the plastic.  :thumbs:  So, onto the pics.

The mirrors going on!

Passenger side pre~

Driver side pre~

Driver side original mounts!  Which I had to drill out the stainless bolt on the one side.  That one was a b*tch!

The bracket on the inside of the driver door that I had to find longer bolts to deal with.

And the finished product.
Pass

Driver

And I just needed to drill a couple holes a little wider than what was there.  But it all was easy.  I wish I had some stainless bolts, but I can replace that later.  I just need to pick up another mirror head, and one of the little stick on spot mirrors.  I was really missing my mirrors!  I've been waiting for the police to pull me over.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »
Looks great!  :thumbs: you did a good job!

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 2008, 11:08:35 PM »
Looks nice. :thumbs:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 13, 2008, 11:09:55 PM »
you have a third gen bed on your second gen truck

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 13, 2008, 11:26:09 PM »
yes he does, that truck is what first made me think about putting a 3rd gen bed on my truck, but it will probably never happen

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 14, 2008, 03:50:05 AM »
you have a third gen bed on your second gen truck

Thats the way I got it.  It had a service body on it that the pos wanted to keep, and when they got the 89 extra cab they put this bed on it.  Well, I bolted it down.  It doesn't look to bad, except the bed is like just under 1/2" of inch wider each side, but mounts into the stock locations.  Alot of guys don't realize the two different body styles, until they ask me what is different? 

I'm trying to save $$ for a very usable flatbed, which will be a project on its own.   

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 14, 2008, 02:05:30 PM »
Those mirrors look sooooo much better than the old ones!!   :thumbs:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 14, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
Those new mirrors look like the ones on my first gen, and every first gen I've seen with the big mirrors.  I like them a lot, especially when you get in a tight spot and need to fold them in  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 14, 2008, 04:57:50 PM »
i like hte way the taerdrop ones from the early 90s look as opposed to the teardrop ones i have now (84-88) but the big ones will give a lot more view, and you can fold them.... great for those tight spots @ the mall ;) haha, i plan on getting the big ones on my new set of doors, my drivers door @ least sucks... the door is bent and sags, so i need hinges too

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 14, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »
The passenger side folds, but I couldn't get the driver side one to fold.  I used penetrating oil and beat on it, but no avail.  Oh, well.  At least I got mirrors!   :yesnod: