Author Topic: auto insurance  (Read 3184 times)

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
auto insurance
« on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:10:13 PM »
some of you know about my lexus and its boo boos

im not impressed with geico or my experiance with them

please let me know what insurance you have and how they treat you in times of need (accident at fault or not)

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Re: auto insurance
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »
I have Allstate last time the wife wrecked the car my agent had no problem letting me choose what body shop to take it to even thow is was the higher $$ shop   :twocents:

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »
thats good....but its law, you have a choice

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:18:31 PM »
Its been a few years.......

As far as customer serv. I got a great agent, I called him Monday and changed my policy and got the new proof of ins faxed to me in under 10min. Ive had Mercury and AIS and both of those companys suck in my opinon  :twocents:

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:19:54 PM »
well ive heard no bad about allstate so....hmmmm

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:21:53 PM »
Shoot "dizzydevil" a PM he works for AAA he might have some inside info

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »
Totalled my Tercel once, well I guess you only get one try, but Mercury Ins. tryed to lowball me until I faxed them a list of vehicle prices of my Tercel for sale. They asked if I'd take the average of the combined total of the cars in the fax. Of course I said yes since it was more than I paid for it. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »
Shoot "dizzydevil" a PM he works for AAA he might have some inside info
THANKS MAN

and rocksurfer-that what i tried to do with the lexus and they denied.....but i won in the end ;D

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:31:10 PM »
Is your dad a vet dan?  If he is, check into USAA.  They used to be for active military only, but now they've opened up to dependents and former dependents of veterans.  I've had my insurance through them since I've started driving, and they are awesome.  They've always taken real good care of us, in any of our families' accidents.  They really went to bat for me when I got pushed into another car in a hit-and-run accident.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »
THANKS MAN

and rocksurfer-that what i tried to do with the lexus and they denied.....but i won in the end ;D

You won because you knew the secret that they don't want anyone to know about which is the vehicles "True Value" which is the guide they have to actually play by. They tried and tried to lowball me, I kept my little secret to myself during this 1st session with them. Then I called them back and ask about the "True Value" and did they know what it was for my vehicle. They played dumb and said no, I then told them I was faxing 10 "True Value" advertisements of Vehicles in my area and they went. :doh: The funniest thing was even the ads I sent all of the vehicles had many more miles on them than mine did.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:45:21 PM »
Is your dad a vet dan?  If he is, check into USAA.  They used to be for active military only, but now they've opened up to dependents and former dependents of veterans.  I've had my insurance through them since I've started driving, and they are awesome.  They've always taken real good care of us, in any of our families' accidents.  They really went to bat for me when I got pushed into another car in a hit-and-run accident.

Speaking as someone who has been hit by customers of a few companies...USAA is the freaking best in the biz.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:48:32 PM »
AAA since I started driving.  Had somebody side swipe me in a suburban once (he didn't realize the outer lane could turn too and spun me then hit me again) and they handled it well.  They don't threaten to cancel me if I forget to make a payment on time, or if I forget to make it for a month  :_oops:  I won't go with a budget insurance like geico.  Only reason they're where they are is because of advertising  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:06:20 AM »
no but my step dad is...that work??

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:07:08 AM »
AAA since I started driving.  Had somebody side swipe me in a suburban once (he didn't realize the outer lane could turn too and spun me then hit me again) and they handled it well.  They don't threaten to cancel me if I forget to make a payment on time, or if I forget to make it for a month  :_oops:  I won't go with a budget insurance like geico.  Only reason they're where they are is because of advertising  :twocents:
ya my buddy toybuilt has AAA, and they paid him full market price for his dakota when he totaled it...and it was more then he paid for it

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:17:34 AM »
AAA has always been good to the wifeey and I, in one year I was involved in 5 seperate accidents and never once was I threatened that I would loose my insurance and they have always been there if I needed them, didnt use them on the Blazer(thanks Dan) because I had the inside scoop, I thinkit was Farmers that "he" had in that acccident and they are A holes treated me like it was all my fault and I was in the wrong that he hit my parked truck...
AAA is great

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »
no but my step dad is...that work??

if he was your stepdad when you were a dependent, I would think so.  I'm not positive though.  I'd definitely check it out :gap:

usaa.com

In addition to insurance of all types, they are a bank as well.  I have heard nothing bad about them, my dad swears by them, and through my experiences so far, so do I!
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2008, 04:03:24 PM »
 AAA is cool cause you can do some of you're DMV stuff at their office.
I have Allstate though and it's pretty cheap.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »
AAA is sounding good. i was impressed how they handled toybuilts case..even though it was gross negligence on his part

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2008, 02:21:40 PM »
Well AAA is good to have in any case.

But State Farm beat them handily in my case.  Of course, I don't have collision, which is a big savings.  I do have literally everything else, though.  Full coverage minus collision, essentially.  They will pull the coverages apart unlike most companies.

AAA is my second choice.  I've swapped between State Farm and AAA over the years and both have been fine.  I just don't go with the others.  When it does hit the fan, you want the best for your money.  AAA and State Farm have good legal departments.

solar86yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Solar-Rockin' the IFS till it dies!(Then it sits)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »
I know personaly State Farm is really good. Iv'e had them forever and they always treat me really well.
By the time I get the money for an SAS I'll be 65 at this rate!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »
Well AAA is good to have in any case.

But State Farm beat them handily in my case.  Of course, I don't have collision, which is a big savings.  I do have literally everything else, though.  Full coverage minus collision, essentially.  They will pull the coverages apart unlike most companies.

AAA is my second choice.  I've swapped between State Farm and AAA over the years and both have been fine.  I just don't go with the others.  When it does hit the fan, you want the best for your money.  AAA and State Farm have good legal departments.

I have mcgraw on the bike and they do the same.  I'm able to specify exactly which option I want in my insurance, and since so many people who CAUSE accidents don't have any insurance, I make double sure to have ample uninsured motorist and plenty of property damage just incase...    I'd go AAA for the bike too, but since they only started covering bikes a couple years or so ago they're prices are still triple what mcgraw charges me. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
I used SAFECO for 20 years and they treated me great.  Zero problems, until they started raising my rates, and no claims for 15 years!  I switched to State Farm a couple years ago and I went form paying $150 a month for 2 cars to $75 a month for 3 cars, for the same coverages!  I've been given phone #'s for really cheap ins. companies, but I love the fact that I can go and talk to a person face to face and not over the phone!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2008, 02:44:24 PM »
I used SAFECO for 20 years and they treated me great.  Zero problems, until they started raising my rates, and no claims for 15 years!  I switched to State Farm a couple years ago and I went form paying $150 a month for 2 cars to $75 a month for 3 cars, for the same coverages!  I've been given phone #'s for really cheap ins. companies, but I love the fact that I can go and talk to a person face to face and not over the phone!
ya that sounds great

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 03, 2008, 08:23:01 AM »
I use State Farm and have been pretty happy with them.  I think I get decent rates because I have 5 cars insured.  My trail rig is only $25 per month and my 99 4Runner is only $40  For the most part the insurance companies will raise your rates now regardless of who's at fault.  The only way is if you don't call them and can deal directly with the other guys insurance co.  I was in an accident a few years ago tht did 15k worth of damage to my tow rig.   I only had to make 1 phone call and they did the rest and delt directly with the body shop.  I lost my accident free discount but only on that truck (10%).  My other cars remained the same.  All I did was pick it up when it was done.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #24 on: Apr 03, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »
Mercury for the last 10 years

$900 a year for House, 4Runner, Pickup, Turbo Jetta.
Max coverage on all.