Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 2162 times)

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
What do you think?
« on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:33:24 AM »
Okay so as some of you know I am in Law enforcement I know bo hiss and all that.  Currently I am a police officer at a small college.  I have worked for municipalities in the past and enjoyed it.  I came to work for the college for the benefits.  I have been here for 8 1/2 years now.  I make pretty good money and have great benefits.  I live 1.3 miles from work.  Get three weeks of Vacation a year and after 10 years get 4 weeks a year.  I also get 11 holidays a year, More sick time than you could believe currently could take 6 months off sick and still get paid no problem.  My retirement is unheard of.  I have to put 5% of my check into it.  The college matches that and then adds another 4 1/2% I put an extra $100 a month into it on top of that.  I get free college education for me my wife and our children (currently my son is 17 months old though)  we have 300 schools in the nation to choose from.  Problem is I don't particularly like my job or my most of my fellow officers.  Used to be all of us were prior Police now we have some guys that have never been in a PD They still have to go through the police academy but they have no prior experience.  We cant seem to get any training, equipment or more officers.  Student body is 2000 uniformed officers is 7.  Most of the time we work we are by ourselves.  I have some friends that work for a local Sherriffs Dept.  and they have an opening I also know the Sheriff.  I have been offered a job.  Here is the problem:  I would take about a $10000 a year pay cut, the benefits are no where near as good, no long term disability, No education benefits and its about 20 miles from my house ( I would get a take home car though).  I am good friends with several of the deputies and have worked with them and we work well together.  The training and equipment is the best in the area as well.  So what would you do stay at the college or go back on the road.  By the way I am 39 and not looking to change jobs much anymore would like to try and stay put in one place till I retire just not sure if the college is the right place for me anymore.  Sorry this was so long.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:53:01 AM »
I've had tits jobs before that I quit, because the politics and ideology drove me crazy. If you don't hate where you are...I'd have a hard time walking away from that package. Need any help?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

topar [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:59:56 AM »
Yeah actually we might be losing two officers soon.  That does not include me.  I cant say I hate my job just don't particularly like it for at least the last two years and don't see it getting better but the benefits have kept me here so far.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2007, 05:51:13 AM »
IMHO if you aren't happy then the money and benefits aren't worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Time to go wheelin!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2007, 06:36:20 AM »
With all the benifits/vacation/holidays/sick/retirement of the college, I would have to stay there and put up with the new guys. SO is cool, but not that cool.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
That's a really tough decision!  What does you family think?  Have you discussed your frustration with your supervisors/employers?  Sounds like you need to start to recruit your buddies to coming over!

If I were to really sit down and analyze what I would do, I personally would stickout the job your in now!  Look at all the benefits your getting now, and then if you would change jobs.  How much more in benefits would you be loosing than just the $10,000 in base pay?  More into health care that ins. doesn't cover!  Retirement, where your at now, sounds like you'll be able to retire early and with a really good nest egg to rely on!  Disability, thats a really big one, especially in your line of work.  What will college tuition cost in 17 years from now!  That's one huge pricetag that will be a blessing when the time comes!  I would stay for the benefits.  Sometimes you have to make sacrifices!  Even if that means not being happy at your job, so you could give your family the best you can give them!  I don't love my job, but it's easier on my body than my past jobs, and I'm not called in for OT all the time or working really long days.  I miss working outside in the fresh air. 
I too, don't like my co-workers, young, selfish, arrogant, snot nosed punks, but my job outweighs the fact that I work with idiots!  My mentality at my job is that I do what I gotta do and go home! 

But that is my opinion.  You know that your family at Marlin's Forum would support your decision!   :yesnod:  Good luck on your decision.

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007, 12:56:02 PM by cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2007, 05:33:02 PM »
Unless there is something you are leaving it out it seems to me your current job is much better in the long term for you and your family. Losing the benefits including the free education is a big loss, not to mention the 10k that you would then be losing out on. Doing what you've done for 8+ years probably gets boring especially if you dont particularly like who you are working with....but in your case it sounds like you would only be hurting yourself to ditch your current job for the sherriffs position. We all get burnt out from time to time, but if you really think you would get more enjoyment out of the other offer then maybe it is worth it to change. In the end only you can make that decision.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2007, 09:37:23 PM »
STAY PUT.

I worked at a C.Collage for 22 years. loved the sick leave and holladys.
still have a good retirment tho.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

topar [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2007, 06:24:07 AM »
I have discused the problems with my job lack of training and equipment poor officers for a while now but seems like its not affecting their daily life so out of sight out of mind.  These are the same reasons some of my buddies left here.  My wife supports whatever I wish to do.  I feel like the college is better long term but man is it frustrating.  Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:09:16 PM »
What's frustrating, is working for a company that's owned by farmers! 

(Are you union?  Just curious!  If you are then you could go to your rep and discuss this!  If not ignore!)

It's really hard, when you really care bout your job, and how you do your job.  I used to get so worked up at one of my last jobs that I would have to have two 24 oz beers before I got home, in five miles, just to calm me down before I got home!  It was later that I learned that the crap is everywhere!  Doesn't matter the job, or the town, there is always the same bull crap that you can't change!  And I had to learn how to let things roll off my back!  Especially, the things that are beyond my control!  Do your job to the best of your abilities with the resources your given, and once your shift is done, go home and love your family!  This is how I deal with the crap that goes on at my work.

Like said before, we'll support ya, no matter your decision! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:23:36 PM »
WOW, Topar, are you my mommy???  :yupyup:  Honestly, my mother is in the EXACT same scenario.  We both work at the local state University (I'm in IT, she's a campus police officer).  Same benefits, SAME PROBLEMS.  The politics and administration just SUCK, can't get any support or resources, it just seems to get worse and worse.  We both have the same problems in our positions here, maybe it's the college atmosphere in general.  But we both live just 1 mile away and can't really imagine taking the chance at changing jobs and ending up in a place that sucks just as bad.  That's pretty much what we've decided.  Everywhere you work is going to have some sort of issues eventually.  I've been here 8 years and she's been here almost 10, so maybe it's just that we need to get over this slump of having been here long enough to see all of the "gory details."  But at the end of the day, we just need to realize there are lots of people who would love to have our horrible jobs, and we really are lucky.  (I know, I know...PUKE..hahaha).  My honest opinion would be to just stay put.  You already have over 8 years toward your retirement, may as well just keep building toward it.  I'm currently in a HUGE morale slump in my job, but I'm going to find a way to push past it.  Soon as I figure it out, I'll let ya know!  :thumbs:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »
Doesn't matter the job, or the town, there is always the same bull crap that you can't change!  And I had to learn how to let things roll off my back!  Especially, the things that are beyond my control!  Do your job to the best of your abilities with the resources your given, and once your shift is done, go home and love your family! 

Well said cheesey!  :yesnod:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

topar [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »
Well I have been speaking to my wife and she supports me staying or moving on.  I think I will be staying here, the benefits are just to Good to pass up right now.  I have spoken to my boss numerous times about the problems in my department he says things will be changing soon but I have been hearing this for years guess only time will tell.  Good news is that one of the guys I don't like is moving on.  He does not know it yet but a local municipality is going to hire him.  He applied for them a few months ago and a detective Sergeant (one of my buddies) told me the other day they were going to take him.  Good for our dept. bad for them hopefully he will grow up fast and get the skills he needs to do the job.

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
Sounds like its a battle between job happiness and an overall better paying job.

I think it really depends on what YOU want out of the job more.

I worked for a Paving crew for about a year and made excellent money but the crew was nothing but a bunch of jack off's.. I hated every minute being there but I just "put up with it"

My current job after two years is still a little shy of what I started out making at the Paving job.. BUT... the crew I work with is great. I get along with everyone, we all help each other and we're all friends. I think being happy in a job and actually looking forward to going everyday is worth the pay cut.

But thats just my    :twocents:
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

topar [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2007, 10:26:02 PM »
Shamb I agree with being happy at work, however my benefits are hard to give up especially the free education for my son.  The benefits are really all that keeps me here.  I guess we will see what happens.  :dunno:

CADD MAN

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:40:15 AM »
Topar wow thats tough man I dont know what I would do.  I am in a simialr situation, I work for a company with absolutely no people skills in upper management, all they care about is the bottom line and not what it takes to get them there.  I have about 6 bosses, the chain of command is very unclear and ridiculous, the worst part is that the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing at all, so I end up getting way over extended being promised out to this person and that for jobs.  I to have a kid, not much of a kid anymore now that shes 14, but I take this into consideration everytime I hate my job.  I have to think of whats best for my family before myself sometimes, its hard to do but it often makes things clearer for me.  If I understand correctly you would be working like out on patrol for a local PD or sherrifs office?  I think your safer, if thats even a word, and your bennys are way good where you are at.  I would try to stick it out where you are, its up to you and your family though.  Good luck with what you decide to do. :thumbs: