Author Topic: Shifting Problem - Advice needed  (Read 2468 times)

MarkP

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Shifting Problem - Advice needed
« on: Jul 19, 2007, 09:34:49 PM »
I am having a shifting problem with my truck, I was hoping someone could help me figure out what the problem is. So here it is...

I have a 1980 Toyota Pickup 4 wheel drive, stock transmission; I don't know how many miles.

When the whole truck is cold and has not been running I do not have any shifting problems.

When the truck gets up to running temperature, and I come to a stop in neutral, I cannot get into any gears, I used to be able to get into reverse, go back a little and then get it into first, but not anymore. I can put my transfer case in neutral, then I can select any gear I want to, and then be on my way, the shifter just slips right into gear.

I replaced my clutch slave cylinder, because it was leaking, bled the system and adjusted it. It is adjusted all the way to the end of the adjuster, there is no slack in the adjuster rod. The master cylinder does not leak.

There is no clutch noise, at any time. When I am driving down the road, my 3rd gear makes a constant humming noise, but its just annoying more than anything. The clutch feels tight, I can push on the pedal for a long time and not loose any pressure.

I also cleaned out my shifter seat area, I wanted to make sure there wasn't junk in there that was not allowing me to move my shifter into position.

I tightened up the nut that goes onto the shaft out of the transmission that moves when I move the shifter.

I would like to think this is a clutch issue, not a transmission issue.
I know my transmission is not one of Toyota's best but...

How much should the fork off of the transmission have to move, in order to get a solid clutch engagement?

If you need any more key information, just ask.

Thanks again for you time, I really appreciate the help,

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: Shifting Problem - Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2007, 09:03:48 PM »
when it wont go into gear does it grind or any thing? does it shift fine when moving? does this problem come and go or is it all the time when its warm if its all the time and theres no noises coming from the tranny then my first thaughts are the sincrows (sp) in the tranny pull the drain plug and check for metal shavings if its the sincrows you will probably see alot of brass (gold colored) shavings in the oil
good luck with the L43 tranny ive killed a few of them

oh and on the clutch fork it doesent need to move very far i can measure the travel on mine eather tonight or tomarrow for you  :beerchug:

kyle

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2007, 09:20:46 PM »
If you have the clutch adjusted properly, I'd say the pilot bearing is seizing and is turning the transmission input shaft..............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

MarkP [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2007, 09:40:03 PM »
No grinding. I also changed the fluid and I did not see any shavings, dirty fluid but no shavings. I pulled the tranny this weekend so I will take a look at it hopefully this week. Its pretty consistent after it warms up. Thanks for the replies. Ill take a look at the pilot bearing and let you know.

MarkP [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2007, 08:40:45 PM »

MarkP [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2007, 08:42:24 PM »

MarkP [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2007, 08:54:02 PM »
The flywheel is discolored and has marks that go all the way around that you can see in the picture.

Behind the flywheel there is about a .020" thick layer of oil and junk.

It looks like there is rust on just about everything.

The pressure plate looks fine.

The throwout bearing sounds like it has rocks in it when you turn it. Crunchy.

The clutch disk itself has a pretty deep groove, looks well worn, like a .050" ridge from where the pressure plate touches it.

Any thoughts or words of encuragement, this is my first look at a clutch.

Where do I go from here, I have a bunch of pics if you want to see anymore. Im super cheap so I was thinking new pilot bearing, clutch disk, throwout bearing, clean everything. Should I get the flywheel resurfaced?

Where does the rust come from?

If I measure how deep the pressure plate and flywheel are worn with a long straight edge across the whole surface and use a feeler gauge, how much can it be worn before I should get new flywheels and pressure plates? Is .010" too much?

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2007, 08:59:31 AM »
hey that looks good compared to my truck..i had loose parts falling out everywhere...then i pulled out the l43 and changed a bunch of junkyard trannys until i found a good l52... the rust comes from moisture and all those iron part getting hot and cold all the time.. most old trucks have had the clutch changed many times... i changed the clutch..pressure plate all the bearings and flywheel because i didn't know the history of the truck and what had been done to it. plus everything was shot.. how dose the pilot bearing feel?? if it was dragging it might cause it to shift had when the motors running..

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2007, 10:26:11 AM »

That was a picture of my clutch.....

and replaced it with Marlin flywheel and clutch

Mike
Marlin stuff is awsome...and I won't lie...I do have trail gear stuff because I am a family man and can't afford it. But, when it came to my clutch...I replaced it all from flywheel to clutch with Marlin.

You should do the same and be done with it. To pull my pilot bearing I hacked a 3/4 wrench and grinded the middle down to fit inside the bearing with a lip on it.  The lip should catch the inside of the pilot bearing and I pulled on it from different angles....say 12 o'clock and then 6, 9, 3 and it finally came out.  If you need a pic I can post one in a few days. I'm all tied up and need to find it. BTW, I cut the open end so I can get a finger on the closed in to help pull on it.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2007, 10:35:08 AM by Mnmstoy »

trail mate

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2007, 04:42:16 PM »
another good way to get the pilot bearing out is to take a grease gun and fill the hole then take a bolt that barley fits in the hole and then hammer in the bolt and the grease will push out the bearing, you will just have to do it a few times to get the bearing out all the way, I would also get the flywheel turned just to make sure that its not warped