Author Topic: Valve adjustment questions/advice needed  (Read 6475 times)

Fisch_Taco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Valve adjustment questions/advice needed
« on: Mar 12, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »
So I took a stab at adjusting my valve clearances this weekend and can't seem to get the valves to stop rattling. I did .007/.008 intake - and .011/.012 exhaust both hot and cold and it doesn't help. Makes it worse actually. Seems the .007/.011 worked the best when hot.

Should I try a smaller gap to stop them from rattling or larger?

Seems if I go smaller I risk bending/damaging a valve stem and if I go larger it will just make them rattle more. :confused:

jackson58

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Re: Valve adjustment questions/advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
Are you sure it's the valve making the noise? Have found on a few 22re's where the valve cover was over tightened and would hit sounding like valves out of adjustment.
Dirt is for wheelin not for wearin you filthy hippie!

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
Always adjust cold, part of the reason you adjust valves is to compensate for thermal expansion.

Ive also heard of similar things too about over tightening valve covers too.

Some valve trains are just noisy.

Sure its not worn timing chain guides?

Fisch_Taco [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:49:50 PM »
Are you sure it's the valve making the noise? Have found on a few 22re's where the valve cover was over tightened and would hit sounding like valves out of adjustment.

I just finger tightened the cover and gave it a 1/4 turn with socket, so fairly sure i didn't over tighten. Also I don't see any marks on the bottom side of the cover where the rocker arms would hit.

Always adjust cold, part of the reason you adjust valves is to compensate for thermal expansion.

Ive also heard of similar things too about over tightening valve covers too.

Some valve trains are just noisy.

Sure its not worn timing chain guides?

Timing chain was replaced in spring with metal guides and they're still there. The truck has been making the noise since I bought it. PO said he had the top of the engine rebuilt but I'm skeptical B/C the timing chain guides and tensioner were toast when I bought it.

Read on yotatech where guys were using .006/.010 but i think that was for a TRD or mid range cam.

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
Your getting a "rattling" and not a "ticking" sound? Rattling like a nail in a can? Just to be clear.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
Make sure the adjusting screws do not have a groove worn in them. If they do replace them, you will never get a true adjustment if they are grooved.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Fisch_Taco [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
Your getting a "rattling" and not a "ticking" sound? Rattling like a nail in a can? Just to be clear.

Def. a ticking.

Make sure the adjusting screws do not have a groove worn in them. If they do replace them, you will never get a true adjustment if they are grooved.

I check for grooves when i opened it up again.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »
22R's are noisy, but if you go tighter than .007 and .011 you risk burning a valve or smacking a piston.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
If you want to be exact with the gap, try a dial indicator. Its a PIA but it'll be perfect.

22R is a noisy valve son of a gun. Its just how they are.

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »
My 22r has a 'ticking sound' as well, not the valves though it's the fuel pump. One would swear it's a valve but nada

kamakazecam

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 151
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »
My 22r has a 'ticking sound' as well, not the valves though it's the fuel pump. One would swear it's a valve but nada

would the fuel pump make that loud of noise? Yes with a question mark or2 or 3. My truck recently started making the infamous ticking noise. When I bought it it didn't. After I started hearing the ticking noise I checked the oil level.... It was really low and had 5w-30. I put 10w40 to try and quiet it a little but the tick is still there. It only ticks while driving under acceleration. My neighbor said it is an exhaust leak but if it was it would tick while sitting still and tapping the throttle cable! Am i right or wrong?. I also think it could be a loose timing guide and possible valve adjustment!!!

85runner_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 204
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Valve adjustment questions/advice needed
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
Exhaust leaked are magnified when more is flowing thru it at higher rpms.

Weird but I just had a loud ticking noise and found the #4 spark plug backed out. Just enough to make it loud but not enough to totally kill performance.

Just a thought. 

kamakazecam

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »

Weird but I just had a loud ticking noise and found the #4 spark plug backed out. Just enough to make it loud but not enough to totally kill performance.

Just a thought. 

worth a shot I will check my plugs. It also seems pretty gutless like it is only running 3 cylinders. I might also replace the exhaust manifold gasket.

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
I do .007 and .011 cold. Have for years with no problems. Way back when, I rechecked when nice and hot and still had clearance so .007 and .011 is OK.

It's a mechanical cam, normal to have some ticking.

An exhaust leak will often sound like a tick. Worse under load. Check for soot around your gasket or even a cracked manifold.

I have had the loose spark plug tick also.

My son's 91 22RE had a tick and ran rough and I found a cracked distributor cap. Arcing to ground near distributor.

If the valve adjustment doesn't seem to stay adjusted it could be the ends of the adjusting screws like oops mentioned or excessive wear (step) on the contact pads or between the rockers and rocker shaft.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

kamakazecam

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »

Just a thought. 

I understand where you are coming from with the exhaust leak while making noise under load. The thing is it only ticks while gassing it and while in motion. If I just gas it sitting still it doesn't tick!