Author Topic: Stupid Me - Online Banking  (Read 1419 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Stupid Me - Online Banking
« on: May 21, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »
I got my credit card statement in the mail today and the balance was nearly double what I was expecting and I had a nice finance charge and late fee as well.  I made the payment through US Bank online bill pay last month, BUT the online system is currently down so I can't figure out what happened.  I called and until it comes back up they can't help me either.  The estimated repair time is tomorrow morning.  I called the credit card company and paid the entire two months balance to minimize the damage, but $100+ banking error.  I'm not sure if it would be better that I failed to actually make the payment and recorded it or if I made the payment to the wrong place.  Both will make me feel stupid, but getting the money back from another account might be a pain in the butt.  I guess I can hope that US Bank messed up so they will have to cover my fees for me.  Here is the progression of my feelings...

:yikes: :headscratch:  :censored: :dunno: :tantrum: :maddest: :phone: :wall: :rain:  :rivers: :down:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Me - Online Banking
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:39:37 PM »
You'll be fine man :therethere:

A couple years back I missed a payment on a credit card, got a notice for the next month and it had the unpaid balance plus the new payment, $156 total.  I paid that asap to stem any more problems and stay under my balance.  Next month I got a notice saying I owed like 280 :maddest:  I called my bank and verified the check had been cashed and was utterly confused.  Called the cc company and they said I hadn't sent the payment and owed the full amount.  They would not aknowledge I'd sent the payment and did everything short of calling me a liar.  I spoke with them several times over the next several months and grew absolutely furious when I kept getting different people and had to go over the whole drawn out story every time.  What's worse is whoever I spoke to each time would never call me back like I requested.  I even had a 3 way call with them and my bank where my bank told them there was a stamp from their company on the back of the check.  While on the phone with both my bank agreed to fax over a copy of the check and I assumed it was over.  It wasn't.

One day a lady called me from their collection dept and I AGAIN went over the whole situation with her.  She put me on hold, came back after a couple minutes and informed me that my payment had been credited to another account 8 MONTHS PRIOR!  I voiced my frustrations with the situation to her and she was very apologetic and understanding.  Over this time I had accrued $35 over-limit fees every one of those 8 months, so she said I'd get back all the related charges for the entire time.  I got back $23.  I was absolutely pissed, but having dealt with them so much and their gross incompetence I had no energy left to attempt recovering the rest of my money owed.  They knew they effed up bigtime too cause they haven't charged me any over-limit fees since. 

When I mentioned this to my brother he did a google search on my cc company and found numerous complaints on them.  It turns out they've had the most problems, been sued countless times and been in trouble the most for breaking laws.  Good times!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:49:45 PM »
hmmm...bet in 3 guesses we can figure out what bank it was!!!  haha!

They are all on crack.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
hmmm...bet in 3 guesses we can figure out what bank it was!!!  haha!

They are all on crack.

Considering the part of my post that said "US Bank" I would hope you could "guess" correctly in three tries.  :thumbs:

It turned out to be my error as there is no record of any transaction.  :smack:

In the "good new bad news" department, now that I am looking really closely at things it appears that somewhere along the line I must have been involved with some mind altering substances.

:beer: :smoke:

Since I don't drink, smoke or do drugs I am left with the realization that I'm a moron.  :hammerhead:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »
I hate paying bills online, I've had them deposit it into wrong accounts, or their site wasn't working and things got electronically lost!  It's either that or having the bill get lost in the mail also!  I've have less problems with mailing my bills than electronically paying them. Hopefully things will work out!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 01:01:34 PM »
Everything's technically OK, just not where I thought I was.

So far, I don't think US Bank has caused me any problems in close to 6 years.  This is the 2nd payment that I have managed to miss and something with Qwest got mixed up a while back and I had never did figure out.  There were no fees associated with that and I never figured out what the problem actually was.  My old apartment complex turned me into a collections agency a while back and US Bank was extremely helpful with proving that they had cashed the check sent via online banking.  They mailed me and the agency a copy of the actual check that showed their stamp on the back.  I have no complaints so far.  I really like being able to choose the day I want a payment to go through, it makes planning easier...oh wait, I already forgot that I'm no good at financial planning.

:haha: ME

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 02:51:56 PM »
Yeah, Im no financial genius myself...online bill pay is about the only way I can get it done on time.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 03:15:09 PM »
i always use online banking

a couple of times, my phone bill payment got credited to someone elses account, but even of my phone is suspended from calls for nonpayment, it still lets you call customer service.... so its always been taken care of...
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 03:20:10 PM »
I hate paying bills online, I've had them deposit it into wrong accounts, or their site wasn't working and things got electronically lost!  It's either that or having the bill get lost in the mail also!  I've have less problems with mailing my bills than electronically paying them. Hopefully things will work out!

You have got to be kidding me. I've been using online bill paying through Suntrust for probably 6-7 years or more now. I have never had a problem that was not my own fault.
It is way more efficient for me to have automatic bill paying set up for everything then try to remember to sit down and write out checks, not mention all the time that wastes.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 03:44:31 PM »
You have got to be kidding me. I've been using online bill paying through Suntrust for probably 6-7 years or more now. I have never had a problem that was not my own fault.
It is way more efficient for me to have automatic bill paying set up for everything then try to remember to sit down and write out checks, not mention all the time that wastes.

:werd:  Online bill pay is so easy now, its not even funny.  Of course, I've only been paying bills for a few years (mostly online)  but I haven't had any problems yet.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 01:47:15 PM »
I know I should trust online bill paying.  But sometimes I have to pay bills from separate accounts and some of them don't have online bill pay.  In order to not have to pay for daycare, we need to have my wife work part time, and in turn we are just getting by with our bills!  So, I tend to be anal about when bills are paid, and I kinda have to control how and when they are paid to keep our head above water, by doing that I can eliminate any error that may happen.  Outside of the postal delivery system! 

OK! I'm a control Freak!!  :smack:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »
If I could pay bills online through paypal without paying any fees I'd do it, but otherwise I just don't trust them.  Even the most secure sites get hacked sometimes. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 07:49:46 PM »
I paid off a card in Nov. ( and cancelled it) and in march they sent me a bill for a late fee of 34 dollars. :shake:  My wife called them and got it straighten out, the next month ANOTHER bill with a 68 dollar late fee!!! I talked with them this time. Haven't heard from them since!!!!! :yesnod:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 08:13:54 PM »
Which card company?  Mine was mbna but it comes in a bank of america envelope.  Figures, the most screwed up credit card company is owned by the most screwed up bank.
RIP KYOTA

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 08:58:21 PM »
Credit One. Some where in cali. :dunno:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com