Author Topic: If your Toy is hard to Start or will not start TIP INFO  (Read 5805 times)

toy4crawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
If your Toy is hard to Start or will not start TIP INFO
« on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
 :biggthumpup: First I'd like to say normally people POST Problems and rarely the Anwser is listed So I though I'd list this

Had my Rig for a couple years, it was always hard to start This is your FIRST SIGN

After having my 1985 Toy 4Runner sitting for a month or so and starting it and letting it Idle the engine died and then engine would not start, following weekend it started but only ran 2-3 seconds.

it turned out to be the  Fuel Filter
 20 minutes and $29. for new Toyota Filter my truck runs and NO LONGER IS HARD TO START !

Give yor Rig some needed attention other than an Oil change and plugs
MY .02 :twocents:
4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
85 4Runner,Marlin #276, 4.7 case, Detroit 488's, 36 Beadlocks
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Well I hope this is my problem. I decided to replace my spark plugs today because I hadnt done it since I bought the truck almost 2 years ago (doh!  :hammerhead:)

Set the proper gap, replaced the plugs and tried to start the truck. It fired up, but when I tried to give it gas it would almost die, but kept running. Checked all the plugs again to make sure they were in there right and rechecked all the gaps. This time when I started the truck it ran for maybe 2 seconds before it just died. So I figured it was probably the fuel filter. Its sunday night though so I have to wait till I get out of class tomorow to get a new fuel filter. Hopefuly after replacing that it will work. Thanks for your advise, its making me feel a little better.....we'll see what happens though. It just struck me as odd because my truck worked fine up until i swapped out the spark plugs.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

MT4Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
  • FToy 086
    • View Profile
Also check your cold start injector.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
What is the easiest way to replace the fuel filter!  I can barely see mine!  At least my nissan had the rubber skirts in the fenderwell that easily came off to get to the side of the block!  :headscratch:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
That is a good question. It took me a while to even locate the damn thing yesterday. I still have to run to the auto parts store to get my new one so I guess I will let you know when I get back and take a stab at it  :gap:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
It was indeed the fuel filter. With the new plugs and the new filter she runs like a champ. As for getting to it, i just came in from the top of the passengers fender and did it all by touch. I couldnt see worth a damn really from any angle that i could work with. Its pretty easy if you can just visualze where it is and go from there.

denio

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have an 87 4runner with a 22RE and I believe mine is behind the engine on the firewall.. not an easy job..
If you have an easy way of doing it I would appreciate the info..

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
There is no "Easy" way really, i meant it was easy if you can reach it and visual what you are doing. if you hacked your inner fenderwells it would be a lot easier, but I have mine intact. basicaly i had to jump from laying underneath my front pumpkin to leaning in over the passenger fender. on my 85 (a different version of the 22re than your 87, not to mention other varations that im sure occur between each vehicle) its directly under the fuel injection and set back attached to the engine block, to the left of the oil filter.  I was never able to actually see it when i was working on it because the gaps i used to stick my arms through were the only way to see it. haynes and chilton manuals are pretty vague when it comes to replacing these things so you just have to figure out where yours is and go from there. just make sure you know which way to possition it when you replace it (and which fuel line connects to which end). Wish I could offer up more information but i think your truck is going to be different than my oddball 85 EFI. Just be patient because one of the bolts on mine took me about a 20 minutes to get out, just because of its location and the fact i couldnt get my hands in at a good angle. good luck. its one of those things thats not so much as difficult but just a PITA  :thumbs:

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
the 89-94 have a removable access panel for the fuel filter, and the v6 runners have them on the frame under the passenger seat

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
the 89-94 have a removable access panel for the fuel filter, and the v6 runners have them on the frame under the passenger seat

Well thats good to know for when the time comes to do the fuel filter on my girlfriend's 92.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
my friends say i know too much toyota info since i used to work at a toyota repair shop, i loved the free parts

4runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 103
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Sep '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
the 85-89 have a acess panel also. 4 bolts on passenger side inner fender . its very easy to change the oil filter and starter threw there as well
built not bought 89 4runner
vortec v8, r151, dual cases
4link 1/4 elliptical