Author Topic: Weekend Work done.... lots of pics....come check it out!!!!!  (Read 5250 times)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
So i decided to go out and finally work on the rear end i was dreading... i have never replaced a rear diff seal and i was really worried, but to my surprise, it was actually easy...

Now it's time for some pics....

Just a shot of the hubs  before i took the axles out....

Rear diff pic....

Here is the seal from the passenger side, i know these seals have never been replaced, and they looked like they were dipped in muck....

Is this nasty brownish black muck normal.... needless to say i cleaned it all out....

As soon as i took the whole carrier off, there was no sign that there was even a seal on it. I started to clean the rim with a wire brush cause it had what i thought was carbon buildup....

OH, look at that... thats the remaining seal i found on the housing.... it crumbled off when i touched it....crazy!!!!

My NEW Marlin Crawler axle seals next to my grubby old one's.... they looked really good once put it and cleaned up....

Now this was a huge concern for me, and i would have left the whole rear end torn apart if this wasn't my only mod of transportation.... When i pulled the drivers side axle, water fell out. I didn't really think anything of it untill i took the old axle seal out and more water came out. Then i looked down the axle housing tube and found a lot of rust... WOW, i don't like that.... how am i supposed to take care of this/clean it up????

This is what it looked like when i got the RTV on there and the carrier back on the housing... i cut off the excess and drove my truck... NO MORE LEAKING!!!!!

I don't know why this bolt was still on my yoke, but it was cut and sheard.... i don't think who ever had this truck before me ever successfully got the drive shaft off, but it looks like the tried....

Along with buying the Marlin Crawler axle seals, i also bought there drive shaft bolts... and i tell you what, they went on nice. So whata ya'll think... did i do good????

military_stang
:respect:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
you did good but before you call it done, you should drive it for about a week and change that gear oil again to be shure all the little gunk is gone from inside the housing. Some light conering or offroading shoulh slosh the oil around in the housing also helping to get all the gunk out. :twocents:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Is this to include the light rust on the inside of the axle tube on the drivers side????

military_stang

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
the rust wont get any worse with clean oil in it but make sure to extend your rear end breather tube with a waterout filter.

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
the rust wont get any worse with clean oil in it but make sure to extend your rear end breather tube with a waterout filter.

Yeah man that rear diff breather is on the top of the Axel, if your looking at your axle from the back of your truck there will be a little cap that sticks out on top and to the right of center on diff housing, right there is where you got your water from.  All that is is to let pressure out of the diff housing as the oil gets hot and build up pressure if you go through any water crossing and the water goes over the axle that breather cap will let water right in.  The cure for that is to check out DIRTTOYBOYS build , he got the Nissan breather tube and hooked a hose to it with a fuel filter on the end to keep dirt and water out.  I did this and put the tube behinde the passenger side tail light. Hope this helps nice job though man.

Nissan (PART# 38323-C6010)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=20013.320

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I just talked to my dad and he said that my blown pinion seal might be from a plugged breather... won't know untill i get under her tonight....

military_stang

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
My breather is in the tail light as well. If the H20 gets that deep you got other problems usually?? Marlin's breather kit is the best out there, all the fittings and parts in one box...$29 I think?  My detroit locked 4.88 and ARB Hi-pinion have spent days under muck and water (BAD stuck) and not a drop of moisture found its way into the 75W90 Royal Purple in either!!
The BRAKES, on the other hand.....

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
My breather is in the tail light as well. If the H20 gets that deep you got other problems usually??
i would mount in the cab or closer to the middle of the truck. i have had my taillights submerged many,  many times. or install a check valve
Marlin's breather kit is the best out there, all the fittings and parts in one box...$29 I think? 
Check out these diff breathers i just made for 12 bucks each, with filter, hose and Nissan fitting>>>
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007, 07:45:47 PM by DirToyBoy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
OK so mount it in the cab with some kind of check valve in case you roll?? That sure would suck to have the gear oil inside the cab. yuck.
I am reconsidering the tail light location though as I have decided this area IS going to see water after all.
like when climbing up out of a water hole when the rear drops down!!
Hmmm.. where is the best spot in a mini truck for the filters? It is a really important cosideration after spending $$$ A buttlode $$$ on the diffs.

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
how about near the top of the gas filler? or better yet, bring it through the bed into the bottom of the top railing. it'd be out of sight. i dont see a need to go any higher then that. you that deep in water you had bigger issues then water in the diffs 2 feet under ago. :rain:
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007, 08:40:45 PM by SQUIRREL MONSTER »

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Does anyone have a pic of there breather, i think the one on my truck is missing or broke off..

military_stang

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
OK so mount it in the cab with some kind of check valve in case you roll?? That sure would suck to have the gear oil inside the cab. yuck.
if the check valve is mounted so it breathes the diff and prevents water entering, you can't also have it prevent spillage from the diff...right? they're one way, IIRC...
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
if the check valve is mounted so it breathes the diff and prevents water entering, you can't also have it prevent spillage from the diff...right? they're one way, IIRC...

Yes the stock ball valve is one way only, unless your spring is shot. Out of curiosity we opened one, its a simple as a ball round piece of plastic and a spring. Be carefull though not to kink your breather line, which can cause overheating of the 3rd members, also having an open tube off the dif is a bad idea too. Remeber you just want pressure getting out not back in.
Military- You have a breather on both housings. The one on the front is located on the passenger side on top of the housing. you can't miss it. The rear one is located on the driver side and once again you cant miss it. It has a little mushroom top that can be pushed down.
Starting from scratch again...

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
sweet, found em. Thanks, and my new breather should be coming soon!!!!'

military_stang

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Looks good, I need to do the same on my rear axle its long overdue. As for breathers, I managed to source everything for my front and rear breathers at a local Napa auto parts. I just looked in their little hose fitting bin until i found the right thread, then i bought a bunch of clear tubing and a few little mini KandN looking filters. Im going to relocate everything though, the front breather gets wet sometimes and the rear just isnt high enough for deep water. I think im going to get a little grommit and drill a hole in the back tub of my 4runner and run it up onto the rollbar. for the front breather im still thinking on that one.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I didn't get the factory manual, but i'm pretty sure that Haynes did me good, i got one of there manuals

military_stang

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Well, after a little elbow grease  :hammer: And 15 feet of fuel line  :thumbs: both diff breathers are now plumbed into the weather guard tool box.  :biggthumpup: No way in hell water is getting in there, and I don't have a hot gear oil bath when my truck decides its nap time!!  :sleeping:

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
HEY, my breather kit came in, and i got like 2 foot of tubing, more than i thought i would get... just waiting to put it on....

military_stang

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
2 feet..? what a bummer, thats what i have in slack for travel. Looks like you might wanna go to shmucks and get some more. :(

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Really??? I thought it would be good for now... oh well, there's nothing wrong with another upgrade, hehe2

military_stang

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Really??? I thought it would be good for now... oh well, there's nothing wrong with another upgrade, hehe2

military_stang

Of course it's all dependent on how hard/deep you wheel. So you might be able to get away with 2ft. But personaly i'd rather be safe then sorry. You can run out to Homedepot and get a hose connector so you can still use that 2ft and not waste it. I had to do the same, i thought 6ft would be enough for the rear, well it ended up being 10ft and there was no way i was going to waste 15$ in hose.

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Of course it's all dependent on how hard/deep you wheel. So you might be able to get away with 2ft. But personaly i'd rather be safe then sorry. You can run out to Homedepot and get a hose connector so you can still use that 2ft and not waste it. I had to do the same, i thought 6ft would be enough for the rear, well it ended up being 10ft and there was no way i was going to waste 15$ in hose.

Wow, 10 foot.... how come it came to so much???

military_stang

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I dunno about 10 feet, thats definitely being cautious, i used about 5 feet front and rear and cut it down as i saw fit. just depends on what you have in mind really.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
 :wave:
just my  :twocents: but i always wanted to put my breather behind the brake lights...out of sight, out of mind.
Aloha,
Johnny
Oh, great job on the rebuild, looks like your learning a lot!!!

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
10ft is what to took to run the hose from the rear housing to right beside the master cylinder, 2ft alone was used from the housing to my shock bar (taking into account the travel of the axel, so that it doesn't become a limiting strap). If water gets up to my window i'll be worrying less about my difs and more about finding an ore. hehe. But you never know when the front end might drop into a bottomless pit.

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
eh, a long enough line and a one way check valve is all more then enough.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I just ran mine from the rear up into the DS brake light, and zip tied it near the top.  :thumbs:  front is ran up the pass side, and ziptied right near the hood hinge.  I figure if the diff breathers get under water, those are the least of my concerns.  :dunno:  You do want to leave plenty of slack for the rear to flex though :thumbs:  But I don't see the tubing ever being a limiting strap, either the hose will pop off a connector, or it'll break. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent