Author Topic: Bye Bye old nissan!!  (Read 2210 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Bye Bye old nissan!!
« on: Jan 06, 2007, 12:22:39 PM »
Well, I sold my old nissan!   :willynilly:  I got the money like two weeks ago, but the guy wasn't gonna pick it up till he had enough money for ins. and a title transfer!  Which gave me time to fix the last few things I had to do and bond a little with the old gal!  I had to cut my losses with her and let it go for $1200.  I got $1500 tied up into the motor alone two years ago!  Thats just the motor!   

After 11 years last month, she is officially gone!  I've had alot of good times in her!  And alot of things I wish to forget about!  In the last two years she has taken my dad and I on many good drives in the mountains.  He needed to get out of the house, to help get his mind off of the cancer that he was fighting!  In one way, I'm sad about her going, but at the same time very, very glad she is gone!!  When I met my wife, we would take many drives with the truck!  I remember the first time our relationship got serious was with this truck!

The one thing that I really don't like about the sale of my truck, is the only people that were interested was a co-worker!  Call me a dumb :moon:  But what are you going to do!  I told him everything about the truck and hopefully he understands that the truck is old! 

So, Goodbye old truck!  I might post some other pics if I find them!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Willy Mammoth

• Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Bye Bye old nissan!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2007, 12:31:51 PM »
My condolenses,

85 or 86?  I bought an 85 new and loved the thing, too bad I was young and couldn't afford to keep it.

My 84 went through many transformations before getting rid of it and I miss that truck the most.

Tough little bastards aren't they?
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2007, 01:02:19 PM »
I had an 84 king cab 4by.  Decent truck, but I had a gray market z20 rather than the z24 that it shoulda had, and it was gutless!  I'd still like to get another and slap a toy axle under the front, but I can't remember which side the front driveline came out of :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
Oh yea, and I can't forget the fond memories of getting high centered on a tiny bump :shakehead:  Got pulled off by a chevy luv with a buick 231.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2007, 01:48:35 PM »
It's an 85 std cab long box!  Yeah it has been a tough little b*std.  But unless you are like MrW and can fabricate the whole undercarriage, there isn't a whole lot you can do to these!  It has far more steel in it than the 87 toyota I just picked up!  The front output on the transfercase is dead center!  That's why they high center so damn easy!  The transfer cases are tough but of a portal type design!  The input goes into the top of the housing and the front and rear output are below!   
                      input --->[  ]
               front axle.  <--[   ]--> rear axle

Let's not forget out the transfercase is divorced! 

I had a 2.4napz W/8 spark plugs!  Yes, you read that right!  Until it went bad, and the only replacement I could find was a jap take out motor, and it was a 2.0 which worked fine with the weber carb!  The reason I couldn't get a 2.4 was the price!  I could have bought 3 - 2.0 for the price of a 2.4! 

I've got to say it took me places that I probably shouldn't have been!!  I got real lucky in a couple situations that could have been really ugly! 

Well, I've lurked long enough on Marlin without a toyota and I was ready for a change!  Maybe you can say a new challenge!  There is alot of resources for toyotas and not much for nissan's!  Well, gotta go and try to drain old gas out of the toy's gas tank!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2007, 01:57:26 PM »
The front output on the transfercase is dead center!  That's why they high center so damn easy! 

Well, that and the frame hangs WAY down low too!

I had a 2.4napz W/8 spark plugs!  Yes, you read that right!  Until it went bad, and the only replacement I could find was a jap take out motor, and it was a 2.0 which worked fine with the weber carb! 

Yup, 2.4 is a z24, 2.0 is a z20.  The z20 is the gray market cheapo replacement, just like the 21ru is for the 22r.  Not that they're necessarily bad engines, they're just weak!

I wonder how hard it'd be to clock the transfercase and make a new shifter?!  :confused:  Probably just easier to slap in a divorced toy case, though not very cheap!  I also seem to remember the nissan cases only having a 1.98:1 low ratio too?
RIP KYOTA

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2007, 11:06:09 PM »
i had an 86.5 (hardbody) nissan v6 pickup, tough little b*std that went everywhere without a problem.

the old 720's (like yours) have no aftermarket really. the hardbody's (around till the frontier came out) have a pretty good aftermarket now, calmini is the main place to get parts from.

720's have that odd t-case setup which robs ground clearance like crazy, the hardbody's (86.5-97) are a driver side drop with around a 2.3:1 low range if i remember right. will go anywhere an ifs toyota will. nissan engines (of the hardbody era) has slightly more power than toyota engines of the same size, but the trucks also weigh more. the 4 cyl axles arent the best, but the v6 h233b rear axle is extremely sturdy.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2007, 11:15:40 PM »
They had a married t-case by the time they went to the hardbody, and did gain clearance but still had a pretty low hanging frame.  They had more power on paper, but every 4 cylinder hardbody I drove felt like a 22r/re that was running .5" exhaust!  I almost bought a really clean 2wd off a lot, but the toyota of the same year with a bad clutch got it all over the nissan!

That being said, I still wanna go through with the project, maybe even try finding a diesel 2wd and transplanting that engine to the 4by :yesnod:
RIP KYOTA