Author Topic: Need Help Finding Boots For Work  (Read 2904 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Need Help Finding Boots For Work
« on: Apr 11, 2006, 11:38:20 PM »
I have a pair of work boots right now, but I have managed to wear the tread almost completely off in under 3 months. I do a lot of pushing/pulling, up on the balls of my feet, so this is probably what caused the wear.

I need some replacements, something comfortable, however they need to also meet a lot of requirements, that i can't deviate on. i need durability, waterproof is a plus, needs to be a composite safety toe, cannot have a metal shank or steel toes, must not set off metal detectors at the airport, color of black is preferred, if not black, then at least a dark color, needs to be size 12 wide
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Finding Boots For Work
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2006, 04:37:05 AM »
Did you try googling your need?

Maybe try airport friendly work boot?

Or composite toe boot?

Or better yet - ask you co-workers, they have to wear the same type boots, they'd be the best to know.

And for that matter, a big company like FedEx doesn't give some advice as better brands to buy? For a good boot that is going to last you are going to be shelling out at least $100, but that is tax deductible as a work expense if it is not reimbursable by the company.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2006, 08:59:23 AM »
check out the ECKO boots my dad wears them and loves them he is on his feet all day long, and they last him along time and are very comfortable.
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2006, 01:50:37 PM »
I don't know what you've seen already, or what price you're looking for (as mentioned above, you get what you pay for)  but I've been impressed with a few different kinds of boots

HH
Chippewa (what I have now, and I love them)
Redwing
Whites Boots

many of these companies have work boots, and "shoes" that may feet your needs.  Also, check out galls.com, they are a public safety provider (EMS, Fire, and Police)

I was just thumbinh through galls' paper catalog, and found some.  here are a few of the links

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=SP503
http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=SP509&cat=2802
http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=SP738&cat=2802

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

RK

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 757
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Me, crazy?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2006, 01:57:19 PM »
Hey, where you at jimbo, m/f works for washington shoe, they sell work boots. they sell western chief.
Max
Black Hole Racing - 84 Jackalope/79 Devil Bunny/87 Golf - Service rig: 2012 Ram 3500

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2006, 12:14:01 AM »
rk13, im in CA

bd, already looked through galls and am not impressed, i have bates ultralites right now, and after teh first week they were comfortable, but the tread has deteriorated way too fast, 2 months and the soles are basically smooth

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2006, 09:37:38 AM »
rk13, im in CA

bd, already looked through galls and am not impressed, i have bates ultralites right now, and after teh first week they were comfortable, but the tread has deteriorated way too fast, 2 months and the soles are basically smooth
Have you asked your co-workers?? They are going to know what is best for the job you do since they are doing the same job and probably have tested a few different types themselves.
We could go on for weeks with "how about these"  "no they don't suit my needs"  :smack:

Just my :twocents:

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2006, 03:09:01 PM »
Have you asked your co-workers?? They are going to know what is best for the job you do since they are doing the same job and probably have tested a few different types themselves.
We could go on for weeks with "how about these"  "no they don't suit my needs"  :smack:

Just my :twocents:

:yupyup: do this. 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

GoaT

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:16:46 PM »
redwings.. nuff said

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:22:37 PM »
and don't cheep out. you are not going to find good boots for less then $100 imho.

Where is the Mammoth?

GoaT

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:25:00 PM »
mine were 165. and worked in them 40 hours a week for going on 3 years now

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:27:17 PM »
my chippewas were $125, I was looking at some HHs for $180,  but they didn't quite fit, a bit too small.

I wear my boots 12 hours a day, 7 days a week pretty much, through everything, and I love them.  I used to have a set of walmart boots :smack:  couldn't hold a candle to these

-Ronald Reagan

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2006, 08:07:45 PM »
redwings are a love / hate boot.  they are the best boot in the world for some or my redwings hurt my feet so bad that i gave them to goodwill after only about 4 months.  my redwings were the high end pair too.  i have goergia boots right now and they are nice.  composite toe hiking boot style and they were like 100 on sale.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2006, 10:52:59 PM »
redwings are a love / hate boot.  they are the best boot in the world for some or my redwings hurt my feet so bad that i gave them to goodwill after only about 4 months.  my redwings were the high end pair too.  i have goergia boots right now and they are nice.  composite toe hiking boot style and they were like 100 on sale.

Georgia Boots have a 6 month warranty also. I have gone through a couple pairs with glued toes but I am happy with the stictched toe that I have now after 2 years.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2006, 11:02:51 AM »
Trial and error buddy. Look into some Danners, Bates or Hi-Techs maybe  :dunno: Don't go cheap.
My Vibergs run around 3 bennys while my Whites were a little more.

:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:37:47 PM »
here is a little update, in mid september i got worx by redwing.... guess what? in about the same amount of time, they too are now bald. in the same area my bates went bald. maybe i jsut work too hard ;)

i went to redwing and talked to them about the warranty on the worx, and they said there isnt one, unless it was a manufacturer defect.

i asked them abotu their high end red wing shoes also, and they said their isnt a warranty on those either, unless its a manufacturer defect. i told them i had heard they had a lifetime warranty on the soles, and they said they stopped doing that because they were losing too much money and that the new tread compostion is just better....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:56:45 PM »
I think you'll have a helluva time finding a boot manufacturer that will warrant the soles not to wear out.  It's akin to a tire maker saying their tire will never go bald.  Hopefully they'll cut you a good deal on new soles!

I need to find some work boots too, but good ones are just too damned expensive!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!