Author Topic: my proj truck..  (Read 29903 times)

GoaT

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
my proj truck..
« on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:11:40 PM »
these are before pics i just got the truck i will post pics up of my build up...

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
Re: my proj truck..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:12:37 PM »
1 pic

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:13:08 PM »
2pic

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:13:32 PM »
3 pic

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:15:15 PM »
4 pic

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:58:34 PM »
cool what are you gonna do to it?

80crawleryota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 202
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2006, 06:01:03 PM »
cool can't wait to see it finished, much like mine

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:22:36 PM »
Cool, congrats :thumbs: .  When I paint mine I might hafta go with orange instead of red again.  Lookin good!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:45:08 PM »
basicly they installed an 85 drive train in it (carb), and lifted it and put some 35s on it. so what to do???

#1 cut fenders :) i plan to do a very clean job to the fenders i want to keep the rally look to it.

#2 get the motor in running condition and have it road savy... that includes the 5.29 gears

#3 clean up the int. hopfully i want to get a new dash or "dash cap", then dupli color. (the can rino liner stuff) the lower floor board and im avtuall plan on doing the int roof in "radiance paint" its a heat reflective pain that u spray the attic on a house to lower the heat inside of the attic.

#4 is steering. and im going to need a lil help on this one. id like to go with the stock set up just add a hyro asst onto it?? what is the common thing to do to the stearing to the trucks???

#5 is rock crawl ready time. i would like to go with new fields and some no slip in the axles.

and if anybody has any idead im open to suggjestions ther is much more im going to do to the truck just a lil much to list.. so what do yall think so far???

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:13:32 PM »

#4 is steering. and im going to need a lil help on this one. id like to go with the stock set up just add a hyro asst onto it?? what is the common thing to do to the stearing to the trucks???

#5 is rock crawl ready time. i would like to go with new fields and some no slip in the axles.

and if anybody has any idead im open to suggjestions ther is much more im going to do to the truck just a lil much to list.. so what do yall think so far???

If you are going to rock crawl, think about the things that you will hang up on or damage. :idea:  As for steering, you should ditch the 1st gen push-pull steering box and install an 86+ IFS box and hysteer kit. It is a very common mod and with 35s you can probably save the $ and hold off buying a hydro assist. :twocents:

Another mod you should consider is a U-bolt flip kit. Again, low cost and will keep you from hanging up. :twocents:

As for axles, I would recommend going with Longfield. Bobby has a nice warranty and great customer service.  8)

Finally, Marlin's legendary dual transfer case set up and skid plate should be somewhere on your list. Take lots of pictures.  :)   
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:00:30 PM »
If you are going to rock crawl, think about the things that you will hang up on or damage. :idea: As for steering, you should ditch the 1st gen push-pull steering box and install an 86+ IFS box and hysteer kit. It is a very common mod and with 35s you can probably save the $ and hold off buying a hydro assist. :twocents:

Another mod you should consider is a U-bolt flip kit. Again, low cost and will keep you from hanging up. :twocents:

As for axles, I would recommend going with Longfield. Bobby has a nice warranty and great customer service. 8)

Finally, Marlin's legendary dual transfer case set up and skid plate should be somewhere on your list. Take lots of pictures.  :) 

X2 on all this.  As for cuttin the fenders I've yet to do mine so I'm still kinda scratching my head a little on it.  I was tellin a friend my plans the other day and he made a good suggestion.  I don't wanna just cut straight back in line with the headlight door like everybody does, but I wanna start straight there and gradually curve up so it looks smoother and more factory, and gives me that extra little clearance.  He suggested initially cutting straight back with my sawzall then doing the curve with something else more precise, I'm thinking small pneumatic cut off.  I'm also going to try rolling the fender under like the factory too for a cleaner look.  I'm gonna need extra clearance too cause I'm staying as low as possible and using rears up front, so my axle will be pushed 2" further forward.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:41:21 PM »
If you are going to rock crawl, think about the things that you will hang up on or damage. :idea:  As for steering, you should ditch the 1st gen push-pull steering box and install an 86+ IFS box and hysteer kit. It is a very common mod and with 35s you can probably save the $ and hold off buying a hydro assist. :twocents:

As for axles, I would recommend going with Longfield. Bobby has a nice warranty and great customer service.  8)

i just found thos long frields and i like that warranty + there $60 each cheaper then newfields. so cool... and isnt that hysteer kit $400 or so i thought i saw it the other day and didnt think it was for my truck. What is so bad about the push pull steering? with a hydro assist???

oh with the long fields... i believe the axles will keep up with the 35s right??? i have not herd of them being a weak link???

oh and i was also wanting to weld my shock to my axles with some tabs is that common is there a kit for it???

please what ever ideas yall have shoot them at me id appriciat it guys

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:44:06 PM »
X2 on all this.  As for cuttin the fenders I've yet to do mine so I'm still kinda scratching my head a little on it.  I was tellin a friend my plans the other day and he made a good suggestion.  I don't wanna just cut straight back in line with the headlight door like everybody does, but I wanna start straight there and gradually curve up so it looks smoother and more factory, and gives me that extra little clearance.  He suggested initially cutting straight back with my sawzall then doing the curve with something else more precise, I'm thinking small pneumatic cut off.  I'm also going to try rolling the fender under like the factory too for a cleaner look.  I'm gonna need extra clearance too cause I'm staying as low as possible and using rears up front, so my axle will be pushed 2" further forward.

using rears up front??? what does that mean? and i have the same idea with cutting the fender u do. i might even get my buddie to flare out the fender i cut to keep it factory ralley style...

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:54:17 PM »
i just found thos long frields and i like that warranty + there $60 each cheaper then newfields. so cool... and isnt that hysteer kit $400 or so i thought i saw it the other day and didnt think it was for my truck. What is so bad about the push pull steering? with a hydro assist???

oh with the long fields... i believe the axles will keep up with the 35s right??? i have not herd of them being a weak link???

oh and i was also wanting to weld my shock to my axles with some tabs is that common is there a kit for it???

k found the flip kit and found the new shock mounts also thanks

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:03:12 PM »
Awsome truck man, I love 1st gen.   I just orderd the flip kit for my truck and got it installed, great investment.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »

Read my thread, or the many other buildups here. We basically build similar rigs to what you are looking for. ;)  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=18832.0

To your questions:
1. Yes, hysteer is for your truck;
2. Push pull is bad news. It will break with any hard wheeling and will never hold up to the stress of hydro;
3. Longfields, especially 30 splines, will be more than strong enough for 35s. Your weak link will be your hubs, so carry a spare;
4. Shocks tabs for the rear axle? There are many ways to mount them. I went with the / \ angle.
 :)

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:14:08 PM »
using rears up front??? what does that mean? and i have the same idea with cutting the fender u do. i might even get my buddie to flare out the fender i cut to keep it factory ralley style...

A lot of people take rear springs off a 2wd, mix and match springs however they want then put them on the front of the 4by.  The amount of lift varies depending on how you set up your springs, but 2 or 3" seems to be standard, and the ride is better.
RIP KYOTA

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:42:25 PM »
Read my thread, or the many other buildups here. We basically build similar rigs to what you are looking for. ;)  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=18832.0

To your questions:
1. Yes, hysteer is for your truck;
2. Push pull is bad news. It will break with any hard wheeling and will never hold up to the stress of hydro;
3. Longfields, especially 30 splines, will be more than strong enough for 35s. Your weak link will be your hubs, so carry a spare;
4. Shocks tabs for the rear axle? There are many ways to mount them. I went with the / \ angle.
 :)

cool build up mang. that hyster is expensive and will be a long while befor im going to spend the money on that. i know it will be something i will need but i wont be doing any major crawling with it FOR NOW :)....  can u give a run down on the spline #s i know the more the better.. but what is stock??? and im assuming u cant mix #s. say stock #s and different then long fields????? sorry if that is a dumb question.

i plan on geting a set of MILE MARKER HUBS... any body have any expiriance with these? friends say the name is good... so what ever info is good 95$ a pair fyi....

oh ya why i figured out my shock mount ill just place them about where stock is i guess. i dont want to replace them there brand new.

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:52:05 PM »
A lot of people take rear springs off a 2wd, mix and match springs however they want then put them on the front of the 4by.  The amount of lift varies depending on how you set up your springs, but 2 or 3" seems to be standard, and the ride is better.

im sure there are lift spring on ther allready so i dont suppose ill be changing anything in that since.. right????

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2006, 03:42:25 PM »
cool build up mang. that hyster is expensive and will be a long while befor im going to spend the money on that. i know it will be something i will need but i wont be doing any major crawling with it FOR NOW :).... can u give a run down on the spline #s i know the more the better.. but what is stock??? and im assuming u cant mix #s. say stock #s and different then long fields????? sorry if that is a dumb question.

i plan on geting a set of MILE MARKER HUBS... any body have any expiriance with these? friends say the name is good... so what ever info is good 95$ a pair fyi....

oh ya why i figured out my shock mount ill just place them about where stock is i guess. i dont want to replace them there brand new.

Splines on a stock front axle are 30 spline at the dif and 27 spline at the birf. Longfield's super axles are 30 spline all the way across.

I have heard Mile Marker and Warn hubs should be avoided. Pick up a spare set of stock Aisn hubs from your local yard. :)

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:53:50 PM »
nice truck that things gonna make a sweet rig :thumbs:
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

CSAKing

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 196
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Nov '05
  • chucks tears cure cancer...to bad hes never cryed
    • View Profile
    • www.pavementsucks.com
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:22:52 PM »
nice i like it i wish i could find one like that to start working on
looking for a 80-85 not built toyota pickup in tenn, nc, sc, virginia can anyone help????

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2006, 08:52:17 PM »
kk time to start the madness. she is coming home tomarrow!!!!

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »
WE got the same bumpers except the roll bar. Mine is double! Sweet truck! LOVE THE First gens!! :beerchug:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:13:57 AM »
hey Goat,  sorry i havent chimed in  i just realized your local :yikes:

burnyota  and swampy are right on top of you near Sanantonia,  im in arkansas

also  red is in Midland  and speeddemon  is in sanantonio too

if i was you i would get my gears to 5.29  and some sort of locker in the rear  befor i did anything else
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »
I suggest that GoaT spend some quality time  :working: the  marlin site.  There is an amazing amount of information to be gained from just "window" shopping.  Plus, it's fun!

One thing you can learn from Marlin is that bobbing the bed make way more difference that cutting of the lower portion.  You will notice that Marlin didn't bob his bed for a long time and when I spoke with him  :phone: once he said he couldn't belive how long it took him to finally do the mod.  He loved it!

Longfield axles are definately the best way to go for axles.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:27:38 PM »
stick with aisin hubs :yesnod:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:42:38 PM »
stick with aisin hubs :yesnod:

There is only one minor problem with stock aisin hubs, they are large enough that some wheels won't fit.  My dad's wheel from his Blazer wouldn't clear my hub, but my buddy just swapped tires with him and the Warn Premiums are small enough that they worked.

It is still not enough reason to consider not running the stockers.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

GoaT [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Wanna hop in my bed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:51:42 PM »
There is only one minor problem with stock aisin hubs, they are large enough that some wheels won't fit.  My dad's wheel from his Blazer wouldn't clear my hub, but my buddy just swapped tires with him and the Warn Premiums are small enough that they worked.

It is still not enough reason to consider not running the stockers.

whats wrong with mile marker hubs???