Author Topic: 22RE Engine problem  (Read 1550 times)

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
22RE Engine problem
« on: Dec 01, 2006, 09:07:30 AM »
So I bought a remanufactured 22R Long block from a "Reputable" engine builder in Portland and had it shipped to WA.  I installed it in my 85 4 runner 2 weeks ago.  I have been running it really easy to break it in, and I have only put about 3/4 tank of fuel thru it.  I was headed into town on the freeway @65 mph and it felt like it lost all power then the oil light came on and the engine started knocking.  I pushed in the clutch turned it off and coasted to a stop.  I called one of my buddies and he went to my house picked up my one ton and trailer and came and we loaded it up.  I went home and called the builder and he tried to tell me that I had to break it in wrong he has been in buisness for over 20 years with out a problem.  Then he asked if I had a "certified" mechanic install it?  I said no I have removed and installed several engines without any problems it is pretty basic.  Enough of that my problem is he wants me to pull it out and send it back and he will rebuild it again but I said I am sure you have more than 1 22R there and I have to pay shipping both ways why not send me out another as soon as this one gets there.  He said you bought that engine and it will get rebuilt and back to you with in a month????  Do you think this is as much B.S. as I do.  What would you guys do or better yet what can I do???  This just pisses me off!!!!!
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
Re: 22RE Engine problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2006, 09:17:19 AM »
Thats weak. Who is the buisness that's pulling this? I ask cause i'm thinking of buying a long block for my runner.
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2006, 09:23:18 AM »
your engine guy is an a$$. same thing happened to me with a chevy and it turned out to need a new oil pump. i dunno if yotas would do the same thing or not. thats my guess: oil pump

brc [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:28:09 PM »
It just makes me mad I have to pay shipping again both ways and wait another month.  When I ordered the engine it took three weeks to get here.  Driving the one ton equals 10 mpg and I drive about 70 miles a day.  I just dropped the engine off this morning at yellow freight to send it back.  I was going to tear into it but I didn't want to "Void" his so called warranty.  The name of the shop is Perscision Machining located just south of Portland.  The guy seemed go to go on the phone and I check with a couple of people he built engines for and they were really pleased.  He just turned into an A$$ after their was a problem.  We'll see how it turns out in the end.  I should have just rebuilt it my self but I was going in for inner ear surgery 3 weeks ago and was pressed for time.  Everything seemed to be good to go when I first started it and ran fine for about the first 100 miles or so.  Man that sucker was louder than my buddy's CTD in a bad way though.
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight