Author Topic: Frame/Cab flex  (Read 1350 times)

Oatmeal

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Frame/Cab flex
« on: Oct 30, 2006, 08:42:40 PM »
Okay, I posted this question on the "other" BB and got a few responses but, thought I'd ask here also but, instead of typing it all out again, I hope it's okay to just post a link to the "other" BB http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522491 ---------Hans
Just a redneck trapped in a brown man's body

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Frame/Cab flex
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2006, 08:56:10 PM »
put some sturdier crossmembers on the frame.  These trucks simply aren't meant to go through what we tend to put them through.  I haven't had the same issues with the windsheild, but I have had my body/frame flex enough for my fuel door to pop open several times, and the latch goes into the body almost 3/4" of an inch. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2006, 08:57:32 PM »
put some sturdier crossmembers on the frame.  These trucks simply aren't meant to go through what we tend to put them through.  I haven't had the same issues with the windsheild, but I have had my body/frame flex enough for my fuel door to pop open several times, and the latch goes into the body almost 3/4" of an inch. 
could be worse. At least it ain't a unibody. My cherokee buddy can't even open his doors when he's sitting on a speedbump  :haha:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:00:35 PM »
Pretty typical on what we put our rigs through, over time that flexing will start to crack the body. It usually occurs on the inside of the fender well and then spreads to the outer fender. TurtleTrucks and Paul Acosta's 4Runner's both cracked in those spots.

How ya been Han's :wave:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:02:29 PM »
could be worse. At least it ain't a unibody. My cherokee buddy can't even open his doors when he's sitting on a speedbump  :haha:

this is very true :yesnod:  why do you think blingnxj doesn't have doors?  :rofl:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Oatmeal [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:07:25 PM »
Yours must be a 4Runner, I can't see that happening to a p/u bed. I wonder if the 4Runner frame and body are a little more rigid than the p/u's--------Hans

Oatmeal [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:12:04 PM »
Pretty typical on what we put our rigs through, over time that flexing will start to crack the body. It usually occurs on the inside of the fender well and then spreads to the outer fender. TurtleTrucks and Paul Acosta's 4Runner's both cracked in those spots.

How ya been Han's :wave:
  Hey, Ron how'r you doing? I just did a Coyote Lake run (last chance for the season) and man, was it cold! I really think the cracked crossmember welds could be the cause of the cab flexing......time to do a little gusseting (sp?) and welding-------Hans

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:19:25 PM »
my windshield never cracked because of that.  but the front clip of my truck is falling apart.  my battery almost fell into my fan.  all of those sealed seams on the front clip are all cracked.  thats why i am cutting it off and tubing it.  it should stiffen up the cab a bit too.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:29:55 PM »
Been doing fine, moved to AZ this month, you are prolly right when I cracked my 84's frame it went straight to the body and started splitting the sheet metal.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2006, 05:24:21 AM »
this is very true :yesnod:  why do you think blingnxj doesn't have doors?  :rofl:
:spit: :spit: :spit:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2006, 09:29:02 AM »
My cab flexed so much on V-Rock (Bald Mtn.) that the steering shaft pulled away from the sterring box.  A bit scary when you don't have steering.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2006, 09:30:25 AM »
  Hey, Ron how'r you doing? I just did a Coyote Lake run (last chance for the season) and man, was it cold! I really think the cracked crossmember welds could be the cause of the cab flexing......time to do a little gusseting (sp?) and welding-------Hans

Was there any other people up there on the Coyote Lake trail.  My favorite has to be Mirror Lake.

Oatmeal [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2006, 05:37:57 PM »

Was there any other people up there on the Coyote Lake trail.  My favorite has to be Mirror Lake.
Well, our intention was to camp at Coyote (took friday off) but, we ran into a little trouble. I took my GF's kid, in his '02 Double Cab Tacoma along (it's pretty capable w/ f/r ARBs and armor) this was his first real hard rock trail (rite of passage) well, we get to the sandy flat where all the trails converge, lock our hubs and start out, only to discover that his front axle shaft won't engage (electronic ADD stuff) so, I crawl under the truck and pull the actuator motor and it's full of water! (not a good sign) however, I was able to manually engage the shaft and we were on our way. By the time we got all that squared away it was getting kinda late and this, being his first real rock trail, we decided to camp at Red, rather than have him wheel to Coyote in the dark. We did go up to Coyote the next day after breakfast, for the day, and I have to say, I was proud of the kid, he did really well. Getting back to your original question, there were a few day trippers at Coyote but nobody (to my knowledge) stayed up there (it was too darn cold!) Red, however, saw quite a few campers. Can't wait till next season! Uh....after I fix all the junk on my truck first!--------Hans

Oatmeal [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2006, 05:41:42 PM »
Been doing fine, moved to AZ this month, you are prolly right when I cracked my 84's frame it went straight to the body and started splitting the sheet metal.
Arizona? What happened to the tow/impound business? Are you liking it there? How about Scott, is he still in Ca? Tell him I said Hey! ----------Hans