Author Topic: Thanks to Autozone!  (Read 1860 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks to Autozone!
« on: Oct 29, 2006, 12:49:44 PM »
Yesterday my wife called me to let me know that the "Check Engine" light came on in our 2004 Tundra.  I assumed that it was likely an emission issue and that it wouldn't for her to continue driving it.  I called the dealer to confirm that it could be driven as long as the light wasn't flashing (this is how my 2000 Camaro was).  I did some quick internet searches and found out that the likely cause is either the gas cap or the O2 sensors.  Today I stopped by Autozone and had them check the codes.  The computer had three codes stored and the guy immediately went for the gas cap.  He explained what the codes were and what the most probably cause was.  I told him that I had my wife tighten it yesterday.  We reset the codes and so far so good.  He told me that you can actually put a $175 deposit on the equipment and take it home for free.  To me this is a huge service worthy of giving them business.  The dealer would charge $74-100 to read the codes I'm sure.

I'm sure most of you know about this service, but for those that don't... :biggthumpup:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks to Autozone!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2006, 01:01:19 PM »
yes i have used their service a few times. can clear up really simple problems for cheap. I am glad that they offer it as well :yesnod:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2006, 01:08:10 PM »
I know alot of people that make sure that the gas cap is always tight, just because if not, it will trip your computer.  My mechanic has a very $$$ snap-on scanner and I go to him and he does it for free!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2006, 01:42:07 PM »
i looked on the autozone site, and didn't really find what i needed, is there a list of the tools they rent out anywhere?

basically, i need a cherry picker and a load leveler for it.... i htink i saw online somewhere i can defianately get the load leveler thing from az, but i am not sure about a cherry picker
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2006, 01:51:53 PM »
The parts stores will scan your computer for free but the scanners they have are cheap bottom of the line units that don't always work on every vehicle or don't give you very much specific information. The one at Autozone won't even work on ford diesels for example. It is nice that they provide the service and what can you really expect for free.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2006, 01:59:46 PM »
The guy told me that the equipment was fairly good for engine/emission problems, but couldn't handle transmission and other problems.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2006, 02:11:54 PM »
:thumbs: