Author Topic: Concealed and/or open carry. Discuss  (Read 6642 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Concealed and/or open carry. Discuss
« on: Jun 23, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »
Just stemming off the people on the Rubicon thread. 

I strongly believe in our rights to own and carry weapons.  I personally believe in the, "Rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it" philosophy. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Concealed and/or open carry. Discuss
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2010, 10:07:14 PM »
Word.  I want a sidearm to open carry when hiking the alps, or anywhere in the wilderness for that matter, for the simple fact that I may one day need it.  People might not like it, but they can go back and hang out in the park in their city if it bothers them that much  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2010, 10:10:22 PM »
i say if you do it legally, it is fine
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:33:34 AM »
agreed. i sent in my paperwork about 2 months before i deployed for my CCL, should be waiting for me when i get back in 2 months. far better to have it and not need it than the opposite.

whether its open or concealed carry it makes a big difference. notice that the shooting sprees happen in "gun safe" zones where nobody is legally allowed to carry. many people wonder if it would be different if they didnt have these "safe" zones. look at when somebody starts shooting in a regular area. might take down 2 or 3 people but by that time someone, either an off duty officer thats carrying or a citizen thats legally carrying has pulled their weapon and removed the threat. cities and states that are very open to having their citizens armed have lower violent crime rates as well.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Lucas

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »
Its rare to see me with out my pistol whether you see it or not.

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »
I don't know that i need to carry everyday, I don't think that i see that much of a threat. However my girl and I do allot of hiking trips. I have been starting to want to have something out there. (throwing granola at something dosen't seem to work). I would imagine i would not carry in the open while hiking, but would want a pocket/holster in the swell of my back area.  

I've got a concealed story also:
I was bowling with a few friends, when it was time to leave i went with a newer friend. Well as we got into his truck he continued to unstrap. he had 3 pistols with him. took one of his hip and put it in his door, the one off his chest/shoulder and boot went to the glove box. I felt that a little unnecessary though i was safe because of my big friend and i was unaware how safe.

So i guess im all for concealed. Let the ones who want carry and the ones that are scared stay oblivious.

On another thought, i know laws change place by place but....  I was told that a concealed weapon is by definition armed. ( maybe not one in the chamber but a magazine full and ready.)  Does this mean that i can conceal an unloaded weapon without a permit? say gun under seat, clip in the glove box. By the same person i was told that it is fine to carry a loaded weapon if not accessible by the driver?

:turtle3:
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2010, 02:11:34 PM »

On another thought, i know laws change place by place but....  I was told that a concealed weapon is by definition armed. ( maybe not one in the chamber but a magazine full and ready.)  Does this mean that i can conceal an unloaded weapon without a permit? say gun under seat, clip in the glove box. By the same person i was told that it is fine to carry a loaded weapon if not accessible by the driver?

:turtle3:

First off, 3 guns is a little excessive.  if you are preparing for war maybe not, but even in war, 2 guns and more clips.  Maybe the guy cant aim?

To answer your question, here in CA it can't be "readily accessible."  Meaning you cant have the gun/ammo in the glove box and the other half under your seat.  Responsible gun owners here try to separate the gun and ammo as much as possible.

I.E. gun in the car/cab ammo in the trunk/bed.

The counter to that is when you are open carrying.  You just cant have it loaded (clip in gun).  But FYI there is a bill on the table as we speak trying to ban open carrying and lead ammo in shotguns.

I also don't believe it to be wise to advertise on an online forum if you carry a gun /w you when you are out and about or off roading.  Be like frodo baggins "Keep it secret. Keep it safe." -Gandalf  :thumbs:
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
I don't see where he said he'd carry 3 guns  :headscratch:  You can't have any rounds in the gun while moving on a public road, loosely defined as a dirt road though it's not really enforced, and short of having a cwp you can't ever have a round in the chamber unless you're stopped and loading to go shoot.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
Im not saying i would or would not anything. Im just curious as an onlooker where the line actually was on the issues stated. All i have is hear say, including here, but i can sort through it enough to understand the basic concept. What i need is a books of laws.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:18:40 PM »
usually concealed i carry open when i hike tho
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2010, 11:56:09 PM »
I try to talk to game wardens every year to get the skinny on what's legal when driving with firearms, since lately they seem to be changing it up more. 

I think Drew and I are on the same page with open carry when hiking.  When in a normal day to day environment you'll likely have time to weigh the benefit of using the sidearm and pull it if need be.  If a big cat is charging you, you don't want to be fumbling under your shirt for a holster.  I'd rather have it exposed on my chest.  Kitty will not wait around for you to unstrap your pack and dig under your shirt.
RIP KYOTA

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2010, 07:35:56 AM »
for info in your area you can go online to your police departments website and look at the info there (if they have it posted up), or you can go to the station and get a copy of all the laws pertaining to concealed or open carry. dont just ask one of the officers, they have alot of laws to enforce and memorizing every law would be rediculous.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2010, 09:12:25 AM »
I don't see where he said he'd carry 3 guns  :headscratch:  You can't have any rounds in the gun while moving on a public road, loosely defined as a dirt road though it's not really enforced, and short of having a cwp you can't ever have a round in the chamber unless you're stopped and loading to go shoot.

Just having a loaded magazine is considered a loaded gun in Oregon. Also in Washington.

And gun free zones to not apply to anyone with a chl.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2010, 09:35:17 PM »
i've had my ccw for almost 3 years now. don't leave the house with out it.  if its not on me, its on the night stand next to my bed.  you just never know who or what you might come across.  better safe than sorry.  i've open carried before when in a national forest before i had my ccw, but i don't like the look i got from people who aren't use to it.  good thing about a ccw is only you know, and thats the way it should stay.  my buddy that is chief of police that gave me the ccw class always says, don't ever show your gun.  if your going to show it, you better have a good enough reason to pull the trigger.  use every out you have, and when all out of options, and its a do or die situation, thats when a ccw comes in handy.
its a good thing, but there is a lot of responsibility and liability that comes along with it.  in the wrong hands, it could be a disaster. 
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2010, 11:46:44 PM »
I dont mind open carry, i would rather know if someone has a weapon than not lol.....

Little story on Concealed Carry License however. I have a Friend that has a CCL and is EX military also. (around 40yrs old) Well in Oregon the dmv knows you have a CCL so when they run your plates it pops up on there screen... 

He was on a very well traveled road, with two of his kids, and got pulled over doing 60-65 MPH (limit is 55). Well the cops must have thought he was a threat because they approached him with guns drawn (but not pointed at him) and made him get out of the vehicle and get pat down. then they made him take his 9mm pull the clip/slid/handle apart throw it on the hood (while its lightly raining), and when he told them that he had a 45 in the back they made him do the same.....  Then they took all his info and told him to sit in his truck....  They took there time (as usual lol) and wrote him a warning (very rare to not get a ticket around here).... Then they told him to get back in the truck and wait until they drove off and around the corner before he got out to get his now soaked dissembled guns off the hood. ...

Now to me this may be a bit extreme, considering i have seen the dash cam from this stop and it didnt seem to me there would be any reason for them to be so paranoid... IMHO this would be considered discrimination, because they KNEW he MIGHT have a gun they treated him differently than then if they may have just thought he might have a gun.   

I am almost 100% sure if he would not have had a CCL he would have just got a ticket/warning whatever and been on his way.

So if getting a concealed carry license means im going to get harassed then F THAT....  On that note, i always have a 22lr in my trucks when i go ... well, anywhere.... i also carry my 308 whenever i leave the pavement. . .and i have never had a problem, i guess they dont consider a rifle a threat  :dunno:
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2010, 12:02:48 AM »
I think one thing needs to be reiterated.  It has been mentioned a couple times, but REMEMBER, GUN LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.  I'd hope that most of us are smart enough to realize this, but what goes in one state (or county for that matter) may not go for another. 

Getting a CCW has its benefits and negatives.  Personally, I believe the benefits far outweigh the negatives.  You may recieve additional scrutiny during traffic stops, you may find different areas you can't go in with your weapon (gun safe zones do apply to CCW carriers in CA and NV, this I know), and you may have to make accomodations for your weapons.  However, you have additional security when you are carrying, are able to defend yourself when seconds matter, and you are able to protect your family.  This outweighs any negative I see.

Bleakhorizon, that does seem a little extreme for me.  I think that stems to a cops personal feelings towards guns, and their own comfort level with one. 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »
I dont mind open carry, i would rather know if someone has a weapon than not lol.....

Little story on Concealed Carry License however. I have a Friend that has a CCL and is EX military also. (around 40yrs old) Well in Oregon the dmv knows you have a CCL so when they run your plates it pops up on there screen...  

He was on a very well traveled road, with two of his kids, and got pulled over doing 60-65 MPH (limit is 55). Well the cops must have thought he was a threat because they approached him with guns drawn (but not pointed at him) and made him get out of the vehicle and get pat down. then they made him take his 9mm pull the clip/slid/handle apart throw it on the hood (while its lightly raining), and when he told them that he had a 45 in the back they made him do the same.....  Then they took all his info and told him to sit in his truck....  They took there time (as usual lol) and wrote him a warning (very rare to not get a ticket around here).... Then they told him to get back in the truck and wait until they drove off and around the corner before he got out to get his now soaked dissembled guns off the hood. ...

Now to me this may be a bit extreme, considering i have seen the dash cam from this stop and it didnt seem to me there would be any reason for them to be so paranoid... IMHO this would be considered discrimination, because they KNEW he MIGHT have a gun they treated him differently than then if they may have just thought he might have a gun.  

I am almost 100% sure if he would not have had a CCL he would have just got a ticket/warning whatever and been on his way.

So if getting a concealed carry license means im going to get harassed then F THAT....  On that note, i always have a 22lr in my trucks when i go ... well, anywhere.... i also carry my 308 whenever i leave the pavement. . .and i have never had a problem, i guess they dont consider a rifle a threat  :dunno:

Ive been stopped more times then I can remember with a gun, in oregon and washington. Only 2 times have I been asked if I actually had it on me, never had to get out of my truck or hand it over.

I do know attitude makes a difference, if you have a shitty one it causes problems.

And yes I have a ccl for each state.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 09, 2010, 01:44:17 PM »
Ive been stopped more times then I can remember with a gun, in oregon and washington. Only 2 times have I been asked if I actually had it on me, never had to get out of my truck or hand it over.

I do know attitude makes a difference, if you have a shitty one it causes problems.

And yes I have a ccl for each state.

I think it also has to do with the cop's comfort level with guns, and his own personal sense of security in dealing with people. I've had cops call for back up and treat me with a high level of distrust simply due to my size, and others who have been more interested in my truck, dirtbike, gun, etc. than what I did wrong.

-Ronald Reagan

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2010, 03:58:16 PM »
I think it also has to do with the cop's comfort level with guns, and his own personal sense of security in dealing with people. I've had cops call for back up and treat me with a high level of distrust simply due to my size, and others who have been more interested in my truck, dirtbike, gun, etc. than what I did wrong.

Im 6-3, I dont think size is factor. I did get stopped once with my ar-15 sitting in a gun case in the passenger sit. I was out of the car when I was stopped. I just got home, cops were driving by following me cuz I had a broke window. They were looking at me, I stared at them, thought I might know them or something, dad was a cop. But I didnt, so as Im getting stuff out they backed up and asked for id, insurance etc. So I told them insurance is in the glove compartment, and there is a gun there in the seat, so I made them get it. They just thanked me, very nicely, one asked what it was, and then said they are really nice guns and likes them.

I thinks its all about attitude.
and Ill say it, Im white I think that makes a big difference too. I dress "normal" not like a thug or gang banger, no tats, so Im sure that has something to do with it.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 09, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »
Im 6-3, I dont think size is factor. I did get stopped once with my ar-15 sitting in a gun case in the passenger sit. I was out of the car when I was stopped. I just got home, cops were driving by following me cuz I had a broke window. They were looking at me, I stared at them, thought I might know them or something, dad was a cop. But I didnt, so as Im getting stuff out they backed up and asked for id, insurance etc. So I told them insurance is in the glove compartment, and there is a gun there in the seat, so I made them get it. They just thanked me, very nicely, one asked what it was, and then said they are really nice guns and likes them.

I thinks its all about attitude.
and Ill say it, Im white I think that makes a big difference too. I dress "normal" not like a thug or gang banger, no tats, so Im sure that has something to do with it.

You're absolutely right about attitude, but I do disagree with the size not having a partial affect, this being part of their personal comfort level.  I'm 6'6" btw.  I work closely with law enforcement, and its pretty easy to see the difference between cops who are confident in their ability to handle potentially volatile or dangerous situations, and those who are not. 

-Ronald Reagan

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 10, 2010, 06:45:27 AM »
We got alot of dicks for cops here.  I've only been asked once if I was packing.  All others, never had been asked.  I got a CCW for the simple fact that I don't want to have my guns exposed in my vehicle all the time.  This way if they don't see it, then there is no temptation.  I pack when in the woods.  No need to else where.  I've been licensed for over 15 years now, and I've never been in a situation that I felt that needed to be packing.  When I'm in the woods, I like to shoot (target practice), so that is the only place I pack.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
:dunno: this might not be the place, but here goes the story anyway.

a good friend of mine told me this story the other day. He was driving his service truck (4500 dodge iirc) in a neighborhood area where there are a lot of 4 ways but no stop signs. being that hes in a truck that would run over allot easily he drives cautiously like he should. He was turning right and an oncoming car was turning left, they went first. might have been close, no horns used or lights flashed though. well a half block down the street they stopped in the street and were like wtf. Guy pulled his gun out and set it on his seat. My friend "sorry man, i don't know whats going on but i've got no issues with you." they got in there car and left. he sat for a little bit to think, being near guns all his life but never having one pulled on him.

I don't know where im going with this but i wouldn't think i would stand in front of a 2 ton service truck like this guy did, if i were my buddy, i would have been getting ready to kiss floor and gas it.

And maybe a little more on topic, my buddy isn't allowed to "carry" while on the job. auto good bye.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2022, 03:26:35 PM »
I saw this in the User's Online being viewed.

I read the entire thread.

Like nearly everything there many different thoughts, experiences, and choices.

Carrying a firearm comes with lots of responsibility.

You should definitely know how to handle and fire the gun, especially if you are carrying concealed and for self-defense.

One of the best aspects of attending a CC class required to get a permit is learning about the laws in the State you will be carrying.

Depending upon circumstances and witnesses, in Arizona, simply pulling a firearm from a conceal carry *may* get you a Class 6 Felony or misdemeanor.

Here in Arizona, open carry has been allowed for a long time.  Conceal carry without a permit is now allowed.

Self protection and self defense has become as a very common conversation now because of the insane crime rate across America.

You never know when an incident is going happen to you, and a firearm can protect you from someone who suddenly intends to do you harm.

A good friend was sitting at her computer working from home in the middle of day. She happened to be dog-sitting daughter's pit bull.  She looked to see why the dog was going nuts and running for the doggie door.  A man had entered her property through an unlocked gate, walked around the backyard and was about open her unlocked slider into her kitchen area. She saw the guy just as he turned and ran, she assumed the perp heard the loud bark. The dog chased him, but he was able to escape without getting caught by the dog.  She and her husband immediately purchase pistols and signed up for a conceal carry class, and attended a private firearms training course. The loaded 9mm S&W pistol sits on her desk now while she is working from home. She said it all happened within seconds. She said if the dog had not been with her that day, she can only imagine what the guy would have done, but he would have been able to open the slider.

Gnarls. :usa:

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2022, 03:36:04 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

jtsims25

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '24
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 04:54:46 AM »
If your going to conceal carry check out Lifeforce Tactical holsters. A leather holster that seems to be pretty durable. https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Holsters-Glock-Concealed-Carry/dp/B086W2NTDJ

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17495
  • Male Posts: 1,022
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 10:22:01 PM »
jtsims25

that holster from lifeforce looks well made. However from my experience inside waistband leather holsters crush upon being drawn and reholstering can sometimes be difficult. For inside the waistband I prefer kydex, I use the brand 'on your 6'
For outside the waistband I use a Bianchi model 57 remedy holster. i'm usually wearing a jacket or a shirt that covers it anyway.

of course everybody is built different and have different preferences

RUGER
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member