Author Topic: shocks lengths  (Read 1599 times)

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
shocks lengths
« on: Jul 25, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »
how much travel are you guys running for rear shocks with a single shackle setup? I'm not sure if i should order some 14"ers and run them  | | that way or some 12.5's going / \ this way. The top mount will be off my flat deck and right now at ride height i measured 23" from axle to the deck. The 14's are 19.4 compressed and 34 extended so i think they will fit better especially when i lift the rear another 2".

also does anyone run there shocks angled toward the front of the truck like this / the top mount being ~ 3-4" forward of the bottom mount?
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
Re: shocks lengths
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2006, 02:39:19 PM »
I'd try to get them vertical or as close as possible.

you want about 3" up travel and as much down as possible.
I bumpstopped mine at 2" up  :thumbs:
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
I just installed 14s in the rear of my rig, which sits a bit low and has soft springs on purpose, and with enough weight I can get them to *just* bottom out. They are angled in and the upper mounts are about 1.5-2" above the stock mounts, but I was maxing the 12s out and they were limiting my downtravel. So I switched to the 14s

See my shocks below:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11671.msg270719#msg270719

If you rig is any taller than mine, then it would only be better to run 14s all around if possible.

Mike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2006, 04:51:52 PM »
well my rig is pretty low with stock rears up front, 2" drop hanger and re-arched stock 3rd gen rears in the back with 1.5" lift shackle. But with my flat deck being the way it is i have lots of room to mount the 14's.

How do you find the shocks at that angle? seems like the best of both worlds. Also are the mounts right above your lower mount? I was kinda thinking on mounting them with the top leaned toward the front the truck...if that makes sense :screwy:
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2006, 08:27:23 PM »
Flex it out and measure how much movement you have. The more vertical you can get them, the better it will handle "on the road" and still have plenty of articulation off road.
The biggest reason for angleing them is to get more travel without running out of shock. At an angle they don't extend and retract as much. The down fall is, when you go around a corner, if both shocks are mounted close togeather at the top, the truck pivots on that spot and the shocks don't really have a chance to do their job. So you get more lean around corners.
If you have enough travel with them vertical, then you'll be good off road and still stable on road.
Also remember to mount your shock eyes so the hole is facing forward and back with the truck. That way when the axle articulates, the shock will pivot on the bolt. If you mount the hole cross ways, the bushing in the shock has to do all the flexing. Which will cause a bind, and you'll lose articulation.
Good luck

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2006, 09:03:17 AM »
Well i just ordered the 14" procraps to match the front and i will have enough room to mount them in the straight up and down position. They should arrive next tuesday so once i get them in place i'll post up some pics.