Author Topic: ceramic clutch  (Read 2603 times)

Serenity now!

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
ceramic clutch
« on: Jun 04, 2006, 02:32:24 PM »
is it worth it?I i don't plan on crawlin' too much just normal driving with a little more than stock hp.

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
Re: ceramic clutch
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2006, 03:01:56 PM »
If I did mine over again, I wouldn't have gone ceramic...  Its more of a race clutch.  VERY STICKEY, but VERY jumpy...  Go to you local napa and get a LUK kit.  Or order marlins non ceramic.

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2006, 03:10:01 PM »
i love my marlin 1600 regular clutch, works a lot better than my old centerforce dual friction clutch which was a lot better than stock....

with my marlin, i can still spin my tires whenever i want to, and its smooth, i have never felt any problems like slippage or shudder, and it has a very tight feel to it
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:16:15 PM »
I am currently installing the 1600 HD regular:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Leonel

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »
Yeap ,the ceramic one is a full on race clutch ,it takes a lot of concentration to drive propertly which is a pain in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic .it sure is nice once you get going in the freeway as there is no slippage at all  , still have to see how it works ih the trails  as I only had for about a week , I think if they were built the disc with ceramic in the front  and  kevlar in the back side it will take a little bit of that edge off .
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2006, 04:39:17 PM by Leonel »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:58:35 PM »
for a daily driver  get the NON ceramic Marlin 1200,

thats what i have  and its perfect
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2006, 07:48:13 PM »
stick with the stock clutch you will be happier, more driver freindly, cheeper in cost.use only new parts and be shure to have you'r flywheel resurface to .021 in. step. reguardless of the brand of kit you buy look for diakin, asco clutch parts.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:07:09 PM »
stick with the stock clutch you will be happier, more driver freindly, cheeper in cost.use only new parts and be shure to have you'r flywheel resurface to .021 in. step. reguardless of the brand of kit you buy look for diakin, asco clutch parts.
have you ever driven a truck with a Marlin clutch??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2006, 09:24:29 PM »
for a daily driver  get the NON ceramic Marlin 1200,

thats what i have  and its perfect

see this is where opinions come into play, i think mine is awesome, and i drive mainly on the street..... i have the marlin 1600 non ceramic, and didnt even want to bother with the 1200

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2006, 08:10:35 PM »
did marlin actually build the clutch ??   or did they re box and sell as there own??  or did they improve the clutch parts??   i have been dealing strictly with clutches for the last 6 years and most all after market clutches are are stock componets.  some companies do make improvements  and some just paint them. don't get made at me i have never looked at a marlin clutch kit. but for what most performance kit cost i would rather buy 2 or 3 stock kits, beeings that it only thake a hour or so to change. 

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2006, 07:28:55 AM »
did marlin actually build the clutch ??   or did they re box and sell as there own??  or did they improve the clutch parts??   i have been dealing strictly with clutches for the last 6 years and most all after market clutches are are stock componets.  some companies do make improvements  and some just paint them. don't get made at me i have never looked at a marlin clutch kit. but for what most performance kit cost i would rather buy 2 or 3 stock kits, beeings that it only thake a hour or so to change. 
yes, they are a BIG improvement  over the stock clutch components,  stronger springs in the pressure plate  and a VERY heavy (no rubber bushings,Large dual springs) in the disc

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2006, 05:14:18 PM »
ok then like i said some companys do make improvements. i just have never seen a marlin clutch.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:47:34 PM »
ok then like i said some companys do make improvements. i just have never seen a marlin clutch.

here is the marlin 1600 conventional

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2006, 07:04:17 AM »
Because of how many clutches we sell, about 3-4 years ago, Marlin, after taking numerous trips down to a South California warehouse, he established a direct relationship with the main Seco Representative of USA. Now all we have to do is call him up and tell him precisely what we want and how we want it, and they make it right to our specifications.

In fact we have some new clutch kits that are not even up on the website, and I am working on getting them up today or tomorrow.

When we first started selling clutch kits, their was little on the market that we liked. So what we were doing was ordering two different clutch kits, and then interchanging the clutch disks, and then returning the pressure plate and disk that we didn't want. That is how we were able to build just the right clutch kit for Crawling: Great Grab with a light Pedal. But today, because of our history and our relationship that we have built over time, we can have the manufacture assemble nearly anything we want :thumbs:

We used to hide the Seco boxes, meaning that we would take out the clutch kits and rebox them because we did not want other people to know how we were building those kits. But now, since these kits are all custom made for us, it really doesn't matter if people know what brand they are because our kits are not available unless ordered through Marlin Crawler.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2006, 07:15:44 AM »
i recently  covered this with another 'non-believer'   he ordered a NON marlin clutch and when it came it had little rubber bushings  and flimsy  pressure plate,  i have pictures of the 1200 i have in my truck because at that time i had the motor out,  i showed him the HEAVY dual springs in the disc  and the heavy springs  on the pressure plate, 

trust me  you get  your moneys worth in the Marlin clutches , :yesnod:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2006, 08:53:28 AM »
HEAVY dual springs in the disc

Cool Glen, thanks for mentioning that :yesnod: Those Dual Springs are nice :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 07, 2006, 06:35:15 PM »
well i see that we do have some thing in common, with my supply of clutch kits on hand i was able to hand pick my parts out of other kits,  daikin / exedy heavy sprung disc, asco cover, then i added a set of centrifugal weights from a kit i removed from a vett. nice soft pedal locks up great.