Author Topic: Clutch ?'s Ceramic or OEM  (Read 2111 times)

83yoter

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Clutch ?'s Ceramic or OEM
« on: Jun 21, 2006, 10:11:50 PM »
I have an 83 w/ the stock 22R, stock gearing (for now) turning 35's. My clutch is starting to slip after long days and I need to replace it. I've heard the ceramic clutch doesn't allow you to slip it. I want something that won't fade and will last a while. Im getting t-case gears soon which should take some of the stress off it. Reccomendations on the MC kevlar vs the MC standard clutch kits? Thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006, 10:22:15 PM by 83yoter »

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Clutch ?'s Ceramic or OEM
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2006, 10:30:24 PM »
1200 or 1600 Non-Ceramic.  The ceramic clutch would be really grabby.  It's not a racecar, it's a 4x4.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2006, 08:37:59 AM »
im running the Marlin 1200 NON ceramic  it is VERY beefy  and is super tight,  fade is not a issue,   and the clutch disc  is very BEEFY also,  not those wimpy rubber bushings like you get in a stock clutch but BIG dual springs
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2006, 12:59:10 PM »
anybody have first hand experience with both the Marlin non-ceramic and Centerforce clutches?
'82 on 35's, not much else.

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2006, 04:30:59 PM »
anybody have first hand experience with both the Marlin non-ceramic and Centerforce clutches?
there was already a centerforce in the truck when i bought it, so i cant tell you what the stock vs. centerforce is, but i can tell you that I have had no problems and its tight and takes a bit more leg action to get it going
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2006, 10:36:21 PM »

there was already a centerforce in the truck when i bought it, so i cant tell you what the stock vs. centerforce is, but i can tell you that I have had no problems and its tight and takes a bit more leg action to get it going

i have experience with all 3 clutches... so here goes... oem, centerforce dual friction, marlin 1600 conventional

oem worked, slipped a lot, though..... soft pedal

centerforce dual friction was quite grabby, didnt slip, at all, however was partially the reason i snapped an output shaft, i drive too rough for my own good..... also on a trip to san fran, was all bad..... roasted the crap out of it that day..... pedal was difficult to engage, didnt bother me, but when friends borrowed the truck, it freaked them out

by far, the marlic crawler 1600 non-ceramic has outperformed both.... it doesnt slip, but provides a tight feeling, and smooth engagment... pedal pressure feels the same if not a little bit softer than the dual friction, but noticeably firmer than stock
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2006, 11:04:52 AM »
If you like a super strong pressure plate and don't mine the hard clutch pedal, go with a ACT ( advance clutch tech.)pressure plate. They come in 3 different stages. Heavy duty, X-treme, and Full race. These got these in a stret disc(oem style but better material), 6 puck and 4 puck ceramic but are not spring hub.      These pressure plates are no joke and Most likely will out perform Marlins heavy duty pressure plate. I'm  not trying to put Marlin's pressure plate down, but thats just my opinion after driving a buddy of mines equipped with Marlin's   Versus mines equipped with an ACT clutch kit..     But..... pricing is a bit on the high side but comparable to Centerforce. Runs about Just under $400 for a complete clutch kit.
   ACT is a racing company specialized in Clutches and you won't be disaapionted with the performance. I've ran there Clutches in just about all my cars in the past from daily driven to weekend drag toys to trucks, both 2wd and 4wd.
  If you want to purchase one of these clutch kits, try to find a local Import racing shop and they'll order you a set.
   I'm pretty sure no one on the board has EVER, EVER ran this clutch kit on there rig and I'm convincing ALL you guys to try it. You'll be  amazed on the performance.
 DAMNNNNN.I mind as well be a spokesman for them.... :talkingn: