Author Topic: 85 rear axle problem  (Read 1737 times)

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
85 rear axle problem
« on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:59:31 AM »
Hey all I just finished swaping in  85 toy axles into my zuk. I removed the third and installed a spooled third I had into the housing. The left axle was tight to get into the splines. I brushed it off to just a bad machine on the spool, it went in with a bit of coaxing with a soft faced dead blow hammer no biggie. Then the right side slid almost too easy into the splines??? so much for the bad machine theory. I buttoned it up and went for a drive, worked good as a spool can.

Now with time being short I used the third I just pulled to install new gears and an easy locker. With the intent to put it in the front. Upon disassembly I found the side gear that the left axle was installed in was galled so bad there was significant metal transfer on the surface that would have centered the axle. so bad I had to pound the side gear out with a hammer and punch and the thrust washer would not come off the side gear because of the metal transfer. So much for saving time!!!???

I will pull the third from the front and regear and lock it and I have a spare third that has a broken pinion gear and the scars from the drive home if I need to use the carrier from that if there are problems with the stock front third, but I didn't want to because of the pinion scars on the carrier.

My question is what caused this wear? I suspect a bent axle on the left side. Or maybe a bent housing?????

Do I replace the axle on the left side or leave it alone for this trip since now time is really short?

Do you think it would do damage for a weekend in JV then replace the axle when I get back?

Thanks
Wayne

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: 85 rear axle problem
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2006, 12:57:03 PM »
Check the axle shaft to see if it is warped, but more likely the housing is bent on that side.  Running it that way will prob kill the side gear in your spooled diff.  If I was you I would be either looking for a new housing, or you could always be ghetto and try to warp your housing back into shape by welding a few beads on the outside of the curvature...that might make it for a weekend... :dunno: :hammer:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

ZukIzzy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2006, 01:44:14 PM »
Check the axle shaft to see if it is warped, but more likely the housing is bent on that side.  Running it that way will prob kill the side gear in your spooled diff.  If I was you I would be either looking for a new housing, or you could always be ghetto and try to warp your housing back into shape by welding a few beads on the outside of the curvature...that might make it for a weekend... :dunno: :hammer:

No side gears in a spool.

New question how do I tell if it is the housing? there is very little to reference to that is straight. guess I will build an alignment jig. probly first throw a different axle in that side to see if is gets better.

Wayne

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2006, 02:01:08 PM »
Oh yeah, no side gears...even worse, might out of round that side of your nice spool.  Yeah try a different axle...spend some time with a good straight edge to see if there is any warping?  Good Luck!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2006, 06:42:42 PM »
look at the welded seem on the front of the axle tube, if its bent  your axle is too
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

ZukIzzy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2006, 06:45:23 PM »
look at the welded seem on the front of the axle tube, if its bent  your axle is too

Thanks for the help Glen. How you guys doin? getting better all the time I hope.

Wayne

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2006, 06:48:32 PM »
yea  a little better every day,  sure miss the old :fart:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

ZukIzzy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2006, 06:15:47 AM »
yea  a little better every day,  sure miss the old :fart:

Yeah thats gonna be the way it is for a while. You know if he could he would tell you to snap out of it with a quick boot to the butt. It is hard to miss some one though let us know if you need anything.

Back to the axle ....the spool was dinged on the left side during shipping causing the axle to be a tight fit. the wheel bearing was new on that side only, and the housing was straight as I could measure. I think the left wheel bearing went bad and sombody drove on it for a long time till it ruined the carrier, then they fixed the bearing but it was too late.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne