Author Topic: was up fellas! got a couple of ?'s  (Read 2513 times)

Stilplyw/TOYs

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
was up fellas! got a couple of ?'s
« on: Mar 22, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »
was up guys im new to the MC.com thing so this should be interesting!  although new to the comp. thing, been at the yota thing for a while.  i gotta 84' runner with a rebuilt motor header weber carb addalefs and 31x11.50 AT's.  the ol girl was my first and really only truck.  so she is kinda sentimental!  i hate when i give her a ding!! but thats life any how i got all kind of questions and i dont know where to start!  well here it goes what should i do first? she just sits in the drive way patiently waiting for the weekend.  althought shes not my daily driver her i do like to run her on the highway to go hunt and wheel, so it has to be some what practical for now.  i was thinkin of stickin with the 31's for know and doin lockers and suspension for now.(ive seen better flex out of a 300lb hooker) but i dont want to drop a hole lot of money in it right now.  i have read all of the comments of Bow tie springs and Broncoll springs? any questions or comments would be great! Thanks! :help:
84' RUNNER

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: was up fellas! got a couple of ?'s
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2006, 06:29:17 PM »
lock the rear thats the first mod that i would do for suspention i would do modified toyota rear leaf packs in the front and crossover steering and in the rear id give the ford f150 rear springs a try or some modified ranger rear springs youd probably want to step up to 33s or even 35s with this setup depending on how you build the leaf packs

Stilplyw/TOYs [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2006, 06:48:10 PM »
if i were to modify the toy springs is it just trial and error or do you have a combo?  and the ford springs any years work better than others?  what about a locker any brands? i had my eye on a powertraks or a lockright
84' RUNNER

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2006, 08:08:27 PM »
What I do is take the top 2 or 3 leafs from the rear of your toy and then fined some stock wagoner front springs or wrangler springs and use all but the top 2 leaf, this works great for the front. for the rear I would put 63 inch long chevy rears springs I like them a lot and they don't cost much. You can find all these spring in pick in pull or any place where you can go fined used parts. Same goes you can fit 33's or 35's with this lift. I would run a Detroit locker in the rear, there very commin for all axles and any truck store can get them.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2006, 08:55:08 PM »
A while back there was a post about putting a coil in the center of a runner. this made it ride a bit higher and flex much better.

think they used one jeep coil. not sure, you mite try a serch and see what comes up.

some thing like, 4runner coil? or coil on rear diff.?

A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Stilplyw/TOYs [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2006, 09:08:53 PM »
shuffiling the springs sounds like a winner i think that will be my best option!  just have spend a little time in the gold mines (aka the junk yard)!  i was also thinking that i might be able to scratch enough money to get a 4.70 t-case once i have a locker tires and my suspension.  would getting the t-case be the reverse order (getting 4.88 ring and pinoins then gettin a t-case) in my mind this might be a less expensive option then having gears installed. i know im a wuss for having someone else doing the work , i can hang when it comes to the motor but that is a lot of money to screw up!  or is installing gears easier than i think?!
84' RUNNER

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »
just remember whith the rears up front your going to need hy steer

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2006, 05:41:58 PM »
just get a set of 86-92 ford F150 2wd rear springs,  take them apart and add 1 to the rear and 2 to the front of your toy packs
, get some 33's  and a aussie locker in the rear,  then a dual case
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2006, 10:34:26 PM »
not to be an ass-but you only have (3) posts...look it up!!
detroit the rear , 33" treads, adds some suspension, and no 300lb hooker! unless u b glen....j/k
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2006, 06:28:46 AM »
not to be an ass-but you only have (3) posts...look it up!!
detroit the rear , 33" treads, adds some suspension, and no 300lb hooker! unless u b glen....j/k

:eek:   :spankbutt:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2006, 09:55:55 AM »
Here is the link on coils for the rear: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=21739.0

The first mod IMO should be a set of Aussielockers: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142846
Post a picture or two of your progress. ;)
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/