Author Topic: Heat sucks in my 86 toyota...please help BRRRRRRRRRRR!!  (Read 3933 times)

toomanytoyzz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Heat sucks in my 86 toyota...please help BRRRRRRRRRRR!!
« on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:51:17 PM »
The temp gauge will barely rise above the C mark.  I've changed the thermostat, but it still has crappy heat.  It will heat up if I take it on the highway.  The temp gauge will also rise just above the c mark, but as soon as I get off the highway it starts cooling down.  Is my heater core clogged?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Your heater core would not have that much effect on engine temp, and if it was clogged, youd get NO heat thru it.  What kind of stat did you put in it? I've seen brand new ones stick open.  What temp was it.  Should be 195*.  Are you running stock fan clutch or electric fan? Clutch could be locked up, pulling air thru all the time, or if its electric, it could be stuck on, but you'd probably notice the noise.  Also, what kind of gauge is on it? Stock, or mechanical gauge? 

toomanytoyzz [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Your heater core would not have that much effect on engine temp, and if it was clogged, youd get NO heat thru it. What kind of stat did you put in it? I've seen brand new ones stick open. What temp was it. Should be 195*. Are you running stock fan clutch or electric fan? Clutch could be locked up, pulling air thru all the time, or if its electric, it could be stuck on, but you'd probably notice the noise. Also, what kind of gauge is on it? Stock, or mechanical gauge?

The truck is 100% stock including the fan clutch and the gauge.  The thermostat was a cheapy Autozone one. 

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Take it back.  Either have them warranty it and get a new one free, or go to Toyota and get a factory one, or NAPA and ask for a SuperStat.  also, make sure you bleed the air from the system.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
The thermostat was a cheapy Autozone one.

Come on man, don't go cheap with the thermostats. Even if it is double the price, never settle for anything less than genuine Toyota. Now you have to replace it again. So you saved $5. But wouldn't you give $5 right now if you could just fix it that easy? :yesnod:

Anyways, this is especially the case if this is a 3RZ or a newer Toyota engine, as some use "cold" theromostats rather than hot ones. They place the theromostat on the cold return side of the radiator, and the hot side out of the engine is a direct line to the top of the radiator. And when I got a Deck theromostat, yes, it was a 195 degree, but it is supposed to be like a 90 degree or something like that. It is controlled on the cold side.

But since this is the 79-95 thread, I'll just talk smack on your autozone theromostat.

As for your cooling fan, even if it is an electric fan that is on 100% of the time or a clutch fan that is on 100% of the time, and you are driving on the freeway, it will always warm up to normal operating temperature, unless it is 20 degrees below zero or something like that.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

colsoncj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Need more money for more mods
    • View Profile
My fan clutch is stuck on right now 100% of the time, and within 10 miutes i've got a warm interior.... sounds like a t-stat problem!
87 4Runner, ProComp IFS lift, Chevy Rears, 4.88 w/ lockers Fr & Rr, plenty of goodies and creature comforts!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
You can also test your thermostat by putting it in a pot of boiling water with a thermometer and see what temp it opens at. :thumbs:

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
 :scared:  I don't trust toy temp gauges.  Just because it's moving doesn't mean it's working correctly.  So temp gauge aside, to get hot air out of your heater try these:

195 stat.  from Toyota. 
Test rad cap. should be 13 lb cap. 
Back flush cooling system.  (buy a kit)
Use coolant.
Burp cooling system properly.  (get ALL the air out) 

Good luck!

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Just go get a new thermostat!  I did the very same thing with my Nissan 720, put new t-stat in and a hour of very hard wheeling the temp would finally come up!  Bought the best one they had and haven't had a problem for the last 8 years!
Even if your heater core is plugged, or a bad hose, you should still be getting up to temp on the guage, as long as your t-stat is working properly!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Riddett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 35
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Not Many Rocks, but we got mud in Virginia
    • View Profile
Buy the Toyota Thermo. Three bad Stant can't remmeber their crappy name anymore. They stick open closed
whatever they do..They do best at sucking!

wsuweston

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have the same problem, but my engine gets to temp, but heat sucks?  How do you blow out the system?
Thanks

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I have the same problem, but my engine gets to temp, but heat sucks?  How do you blow out the system?
Thanks

Sometimes the valve doesn't open when they get old, it may seem like you moved the lever all the way but the valve is stuck and you won't get very much coolant flowing through the core.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
and that valvle is expensive on my friends toy his got stuck, it sucked for him, 100* outside and his heat core is pumpin heat into his truck
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I just cleaned mine and it worked fine sometimes they just get  some build up on them
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
my friend was worried that if he pryed on it too much he might make it leak hes like that though, kinda paranoid
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

kvn85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -84
  • Male Posts: 90
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
How do you burp the cooling system and get the air out ?
85 yota

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
If I knew how to, I would tell you, I just parked on a steep hill and kept filling the radiator with the engine running, probably didnt do it right, but havent had any problems, hopefully you get it figured out

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Run it with the cap off until you see coolant running real fast through the radaitor, or until it sucks a bunch of coolant down into the engine.  Basically, run it until the thermostat opens with the cap off.  You can also tell when the thermostat opens because the air coming off the fan changes from cold to warm.  If it has a big bubble in it you might have to run it for a while, then shut it off and let it sit about two minutes, then run it again.  Sometimes a thermostat won't open until some hot liquid hits it.

wsuweston

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That kinda makes sense, my stat went bad so I replaced it, but when I filled it up I did not let the car get hot when filling it.  I will try that.  No heat sucks, since we have been in negative and single digit temps here.
Thank you and sorry about jacking your thread.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
stupid question, but is your t stat in upside down? i had the same prob in high school, and it was upside down, i replaced it with a 195 toyota piece and put it right side up, and wala, toasty toasty :eyebrow:

83yota4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -171
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
another way to get all the air out of the cooling system is to take out the temp sensor and fill the radiator til coolant comes out of that location. My dad told me about that after I blew the head gasket in my supra after changing the radiator.

kvn85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -84
  • Male Posts: 90
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info.
85 yota

NC854Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • 85 Toyota 4Runner
I had problems with my heater not heating until I clean out the heater core and this is how I did mine

"you could try back flushing the heater core. Pull the hoses off at the firewall and run water through the outlet hose until it runs clear out the inlet. Then check that the heater valve is not clogged and operating fully closed to open as you move the lever on the dash."4Crawler"

Haven't had anymore problem since then it works.
85 Toyota 4Runner EFI 4cyl 4x4

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
You can park the truck with the front pointing up a steep incline, leave it running and pop the radiator cap.  Don't remove it, just turn it half way so it can relieve the pressure, and leave the truck there running for 15 minutes or so.  This should get rid of a lot of the air in the system.  My heater is currently sucking bigtime, so I'm definately gonna hafta flush it out soon. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!